News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones Didn't Fall Apart

Started by MightyGiants, August 19, 2024, 12:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Man, has the bar gotten low.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 19, 2024, 05:09:06 PMMan, has the bar gotten low.

No, one in a row doesn't count as being consistent.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Giant Jim

Jones needs to play this week. If he's rusty, he needs to loosen up. He'll have 2 weeks to heal any bumps and bruises. They weren't worried about him in the first game last year in the rain and the beating the Dallas defense was giving him while losing 40-0.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 19, 2024, 05:09:06 PMMan, has the bar gotten low.

DB: Those precise words also came to my mind. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

katkavage

Who cares? It's preseason. The rough thing is he will be under a very intense microscope this season. He has to excel or the pressure will just get more intense. I'm so sick of constant nit picking of his performances from his detractors as well as the constant excuses from his defenders. He is what he is as of today: a middling NFL QB.

Giant Jim

Quote from: katkavage on August 19, 2024, 06:50:56 PMWho cares? It's preseason. The rough thing is he will be under a very intense microscope this season. He has to excel or the pressure will just get more intense. I'm so sick of constant nit picking of his performances from his detractors as well as the constant excuses from his defenders. He is what he is as of today: a middling NFL QB.
Like it or not, he's all we got for this season that hasn't even started yet. Fans of the team should support him as well as the rest of the team. I'm tired of people crying about him and next year's draft too. This week is the Jets, a lot of history this this game, then the start of a new season.

katkavage

Quote from: Giant Jim on August 19, 2024, 07:02:22 PMLike it or not, he's all we got for this season that hasn't even started yet. Fans of the team should support him as well as the rest of the team. I'm tired of people crying about him and next year's draft too. This week is the Jets, a lot of history this this game, then the start of a new season.
Yup, that's all we got. I was a Giant fan in the Piscarck years. If the Giant fans didn't rebel there would have been more decades of lousy football. I'll support them but if they are bad I won't sit on my hands

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

I'm known to be one of the Jones defenders .... But I realize this may be his last season

But the fact remains that we are 0-0 this season and I'm still rooting for wins and not a draft pick ... not yet at least

And I will point out the bad and horrendous plays

Pick 6, under throw on 2nd pick, throw behind to Gray ?? I think , and the almost pick

But if we look at the whole picture .... If Nabers catches that ball and Hyatt brings his foot down Jones almost had 200 yards in one half

And yes backups were coming in the second quarter ....but I don't really see how that translates to Jones play.... All it shows if the receivers get open Jones can get to them .... Or he can have bad throws as well

Not defending Jones ...... terrible first quarter from him .... I'm just pointing out everything as a whole

Either way Jones is probably goner .... But I hope not .... Not because I'm a fan of Jones but because it would mean we had a good season as a team

AZGiantFan

This is a really detailed breakdown of DJ and the passing game in the Texans game.  He doesn't pull any punches on DJ's performance, but he also points out issues with play design and receiver's route running.  It's probably as close as we can come to being inside the post-game film assessment by the coaches and the QB room.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 20, 2024, 03:16:00 AM

This is a really detailed breakdown of DJ and the passing game in the Texans game.  He doesn't pull any punches on DJ's performance, but he also points out issues with play design and receiver's route running.  It's probably as close as we can come to being inside the post-game film assessment by the coaches and the QB room.

AZRich: Thanks for this. O'Sullivan is a very smart guy and his analyses are very fair and almost 100 percent on the money.

Anyone critical of Jones should watch these every week to see how many mistakes the rest of the team is making (usually multiple errors on every play during the preseaon, which gradually taper down to less than one per play by season's end).  It also illustrates so well why NFL QB's get paid a ton of money. They have to do what O'Sullivan is doing, but their analysis must happen in REAL TIME. It's a crazy hard job and there are only 40 seconds between plays for the QB to reset his frame of mind before having to deal with the next play.

I think Jones is going to give us a good season. Since the team is apparently determined to start Nabers on opening day, IMO they decided before the Houston game to force him the ball and present him with challenges of every possible type in rapid fire (reading the coverage, running picks, blocking, etc., to get him as ready as possible). Incidentally, having now gotten to examine the disastrous pick six, I'm certain that the pass-rusher yanked on Jones as he attempted to throw the ball into the ground and caused it to go right to the corner back. I've never seen that happen before and doubt we'll ever see it happen again. Very odd.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Trench

Just watched a clip of Rodgers in joint practice where he's dropping back to pass and looking off the safety and made a nice completion to Wilson.

Jones doesn't practice this. It's a huge reason why he isn't as successful as he can potentially be.

EDjohnst1981

I'm not entirely sure that's a fair comparison though. Rodgers will likely go into the Hall of Fame, where as Jones might be cut after the season.

babywhales

+
Some nice back shoulder fades
Some nice downfield passes 
A couple drops
A nice, not often seen, presnap adjustment
Knee looked good

-
Poor reads
Late delivers 
Gave away big gains and a touchdown 
Poor decisions 
Once again poor decision making under rare pressure
Some poor foot and hip work on throws

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Ed Vette

Quote from: Trench on August 21, 2024, 01:38:30 PMJust watched a clip of Rodgers in joint practice where he's dropping back to pass and looking off the safety and made a nice completion to Wilson.

Jones doesn't practice this. It's a huge reason why he isn't as successful as he can potentially be.

Looking off the Safety would only be pertinent for deep passes in situations where the defense is in Man Coverage with either a single high safety or in Cover 2, where the safety would be the double Coverage over the top. Often, based on the Offensive alignment, the Linebackers and Safeties have their own Coverage responsibilities. When you have a Lone Set back and four WR's, potentially there would be 5 Receivers that need to be covered. Often Defenses are in Zone Coverage too, and they split the field as in Quarters Coverage.

The situation where looking off the safety would be effective doesn't come up as often as you might think. I see you have harped on this often. Jones was 2-4 on throws 20+ yards and had a grade of 92.6.

On the drop by Nabors, Jones did hold the safety on that 45-yard pass, but there is a point where he has to time the pass to the route. Since the safety was on his left hash, he came over the top but was not a factor in the play. On the Stingley Interception of Hyatt, Jones did look off the safety as he read his progressions left to right. It was however a product of his progression reads. No Safety nearby.

On that beautiful pass to Slayton to the Left X Position, Jones read right to left on the left side as the safety was shaded to the right two Receivers and immediately broke to that side, which was a key to where the pass would be going. The Houston DC didn't respect Slayton.   

On the Pass to Nabors, Jones was on the left hash Shotgun, Nabors was 2 yards to the right of the right side numbers and the Safeties were in Cover 2 with the right side Safety on the right Hash. Jones read his progression from left to right, which held that Safety until he set up to pass. The Safety was a non-factor. On that play, I think Nabors was the intended Receiver and by design, the read being left to right on a three-step drop, set up the throw for perfect timing. It was a well-designed play.

So on those four plays, only one required Jones to look off the Safety. One out of 18 Attempts. In Pass Attempts to Routes that are Daggar, Curl, Slant, comeback, and Crossers, the QB isn't looking off the safety. He's making his reads for a quick pass to an open Receiver.

I get it. Jones has Bird Dogged his Receivers at times and that's a Coaching issue, but snapshots should not put Jones in a box where he doesn't practice it. As if every pass requires him to look off the safety. Heck, at least he's passing downfield, which is something he didn't have time to do last season. Last season out of 149 attempts he was only able to throw 11 passes downfield or 7%, completing 2. But he had a PFF grade of 80 on those throws, so without looking at the film, it tells me that looking off the safety wasn't the problem.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin