News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Case against Lawrence Taylor Disposed

Started by EDjohnst1981, August 22, 2024, 01:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

I was surprised to this garner no comment, or the earlier arrest, on this board.

But the case against convicted sex offender, Lawrence Taylor, has been disposed of.

Per The Athletic, "Prosecutors disposed the case against Taylor, according to Broward County Clerk records, meaning the case is closed by dismissal, settlement, plea or another judgment".

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5716634/2024/08/22/lawrence-taylor-arrest-case-closed/?source=user_shared_article

DaveBrown74

Giants fans don't like to talk about the fact that the greatest player in franchise history had sex with a minor.

Sorry but it's true.

TONKA56

When I was a kid I absolutely idolized Lawrence Taylor. I still have my jersey from 1990. Wearing it felt like putting on Superman's uniform. In college I occasionally wore it when I needed a confidence boost, such as during public speaking. As a man, he is very disappointing to me and somewhat of an embarrassment. I'd be curious to know what his early childhood was like. He is a godless narcissist who worships at the alter of carnal pleasures and wanton hedonism.

Philosophers

Sports fans have a crazy ability to separate their team's players from judgment as to questionable actions or misbehavior.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 22, 2024, 09:22:49 PMGiants fans don't like to talk about the fact that the greatest player in franchise history had sex with a minor.

Sorry but it's true.

Unpopular hot take warning.

She was a prostitute, he was a John. Both are illegal acts. LT asked her what her age was and she lied. Next thing he knows Celebrity Lawyer Gloria Allred is representing her.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kartanoman

Back then, we loved him as a player because his instincts kicked in and no opponent had an answer as far as stopping him.

Today, we cringe every time we hear about him because those same instincts continue to get him into trouble and there's nothing he can do to stop himself.

If you've never read his two books, "LT: Living on the Edge," and "LT: Over the Edge," they provide a sobering detail-for-detail account of his self-destruction and the internal battles he fights every day to avoid self-destructive behaviors.

A more convenient example, though, is the documentary "LT: The Life and Times," which is nearly a two-hour program where LT, his friends and family take you into their lives and show the viewer how much his self-destructive behaviors have impacted not only his life, but theirs as well. It is a hard-core, sobering look at the dichotomy of a man, a football legend, but also a broken individual unable to manage himself.

If you have never experienced living with someone, or having a family member struggling with similar issues, it is easy to call out the "illegal behaviors" on the surface. But what happens when that person is your spouse? Or your parent? Or best friend? How do you reconcile your heart breaking when not only their heart but their spirit is broken? Caught in a cycle of self-destruction but not having the capacity to truly see themselves or have the spirit to change; not just for others, but for themselves. That can be something very difficult to empathize with if you've never walked that dark road before.

Here is "LT: The Life and Times"

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on August 23, 2024, 10:29:23 AMUnpopular hot take warning.

She was a prostitute, he was a John. Both are illegal acts. LT asked her what her age was and she lied. Next thing he knows Celebrity Lawyer Gloria Allred is representing her.

Not sure if this is meant to be mitigating?