News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Starting QB's and First Team PS Game 3

Started by Ed Vette, August 24, 2024, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: killarich on August 24, 2024, 05:24:41 PMI'm one of the ones who think we shouldn't we shouldn't be overreacting to the bad (very) game .... But I think it would be crucial to see how well or bad he plays the very next game ... even if it is against the backups

This would be a major mistake if Jones looks bad week 1 imo

I would agree about overreacting to a preseason game, the same way it was ill-advised to overreact positively to his one preseason game against the Panthers last summer.

What about Jones' 6 regular season games last year before he got injured though? Would it be an overreaction to be concerned about those ?

Trench

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on August 24, 2024, 04:54:46 PMSo the "rust" from last week has just been blown off by a week of a joint practice.

Okay then.

Either way, he knows he's out of excuses. So it's time to play and play well.

100000%%%%%

killarich

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 24, 2024, 05:32:02 PMI would agree about overreacting to a preseason game, the same way it was ill-advised to overreact positively to his one preseason game against the Panthers last summer.

What about Jones' 6 regular season games last year before he got injured though? Would it be an overreaction to be concerned about those ?

Yea 6 games last season were very bad .... But a lot of things were very different about this team

I think we deserve another game where Jones at the very least gets another drive or 2 behind this rebuilt o-line and Nabers out there

Philosophers

Joint practices are not remotely close to live action games.

Why is that so unfamiliar to Daboll?

Ed Vette

To be clear, this is about live game reps to work together to form a more cohesive Offense.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

I'm not a fan of three weeks off before the start of the season. The good news is that this year their first "warm up" games are against weak teams.

todge

Apparently the coaches believe that a QB gets plenty of work practicing against their own first team defenses. Even if the Jet starters played, they would run a vanilla defense against our vanilla offense.

I agree with Daboll that there's nothing to be gained by using starters in a "game" with no intensity and with no starting offensive or defensive players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 24, 2024, 05:32:02 PMI would agree about overreacting to a preseason game, the same way it was ill-advised to overreact positively to his one preseason game against the Panthers last summer.

IMO, yes.  The whole team was unprepared to compete.  I put a lot more stock in 2022 than 2023.  I'm concerned that by not playing Jones and starters for a half tonight it could be a repeat.  For Jones specifically, one half and a little bit is not enough to knock off the rust of 9 or 10 months of no game action.  I hoped training camp showed that Daboll had learned his lesson.  We'll see.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll