News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Starting QB's and First Team PS Game 3

Started by Ed Vette, August 24, 2024, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

The Niners, Colts, Jags and Bucs all played their starters. Although the Niners decision to start Purdy is questionable, it was a good move to give work to Richardson who is shaking off the cobwebs and still occasionally has accuracy issues and a disconnect with his Receivers. Not all his fault. Mayfield and Lawrence could use the work too. BTW, Trevor hit Evan Engram two times in the Endzone for TDs.   

My motivation or agenda here is to advocate/lobby for giving Daniel Jones at least the first two drives of tonight's game. Not just because he needs the work, but because he needs more time with his Nabors, WDR and Hyatt, his new RB's in handoff, check-down, and PB'ing roles, and his young center and three new Linemen. They can't be afraid of him getting hurt.

Thoughts?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

DaveBrown74

I 100% agree. Jones was used sparingly in the last preseason, and despite all the hype about what a great camp he had had in 2023, he couldn't have looked worse in the regular season. I would want to max out the chances of that not happening again. And after seeing how he played last week, if I'm Daboll I definitely want him out there again.

If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. Sure, that would suck, but I'd rather take that risk than have the Daniel Jones we had in 2023. I mean he can get hurt in the first quarter of week one too. Would that be much different? See Aaron Rodgers as an example. The injury risk situation is always there all the time. Getting him reps with his new O line and new wide receiver seems more useful to me than worrying about getting injured in this violent of a sport.

Also, if people think it's pointless to have him out there against the Jets 2s, that may be a valid argument, but we were just told by Carl Banks and John Papa that his improved play in the Texans game after their starters came out was still relevant. So unless those guys are wrong, I don't see why we should feel differently about this game.

VanPelt

I can just imagine all the noise if he doesn't do well vs the Jets backups, LOL.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 24, 2024, 12:38:46 PMThe Niners, Colts, Jags and Bucs all played their starters. Although the Niners decision to start Purdy is questionable, it was a good move to give work to Richardson who is shaking off the cobwebs and still occasionally has accuracy issues and a disconnect with his Receivers. Not all his fault. Mayfield and Lawrence could use the work too. BTW, Trevor hit Evan Engram two times in the Endzone for TDs.   

My motivation or agenda here is to advocate/lobby for giving Daniel Jones at least the first two drives of tonight's game. Not just because he needs the work, but because he needs more time with his Nabors, WDR and Hyatt, his new RB's in handoff, check-down, and PB'ing roles, and his young center and three new Linemen. They can't be afraid of him getting hurt.

Thoughts?

DJ needs to play. They can't pretend like they will waltz into the regular season some sort of well-oiled machine. This offense is still very much in progress and Jones needs game speed as much as possible (reasonably so, obviously).

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 24, 2024, 01:04:01 PMhttps://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1827370825843871908
All the more reason to start him against a team that has a beat up on them. Of course I knew they would sit him, and they wanted a good look at the backups, but I just don't agree with the decision. I never have agreed with sitting the first team in the last PS Game unless you have a 40-year-old QB where the risk-reward just isn't there. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 24, 2024, 12:38:46 PMThe Niners, Colts, Jags and Bucs all played their starters. Although the Niners decision to start Purdy is questionable, it was a good move to give work to Richardson who is shaking off the cobwebs and still occasionally has accuracy issues and a disconnect with his Receivers. Not all his fault. Mayfield and Lawrence could use the work too. BTW, Trevor hit Evan Engram two times in the Endzone for TDs.   

Thoughts?

I'd like to see him play the first half.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

killarich

So Jones is not playing ?

Ehhh come on Daboll

Trench

Quote from: killarich on August 24, 2024, 02:59:59 PMSo Jones is not playing ?

Ehhh come on Daboll

If jones doesn't play tonight and struggles in week one then I will be extremely dissatisfied in Dabol. Can he be that stupid as to allow Jones to waltz into week one with just a half of football in preseason especially coming off injury and what we witnessed last year?

DaveBrown74

I read that he is almost certainly not playing. That may not be 100% official though.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Trench on August 24, 2024, 03:08:48 PMIf jones doesn't play tonight and struggles in week one then I will be extremely dissatisfied in Dabol. Can he be that stupid as to allow Jones to waltz into week one with just a half of football in preseason especially coming off injury and what we witnessed last year?
No more excuses for Daboll too.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

EDjohnst1981

So the "rust" from last week has just been blown off by a week of a joint practice.

Okay then.

Either way, he knows he's out of excuses. So it's time to play and play well.

Giant Obsession

Quote from: Trench on August 24, 2024, 03:08:48 PMIf jones doesn't play tonight and struggles in week one then I will be extremely dissatisfied in Dabol. Can he be that stupid as to allow Jones to waltz into week one with just a half of football in preseason especially coming off injury and what we witnessed last year?

To answer your question.....Of course he can.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

killarich

I'm one of the ones who think we shouldn't we shouldn't be overreacting to the bad (very) game .... But I think it would be crucial to see how well or bad he plays the very next game ... even if it is against the backups

This would be a major mistake if Jones looks bad week 1 imo