News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Evan Neal

Started by DaveBrown74, August 24, 2024, 08:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todge

It was generally acknowledged that Evan Neal's skill set projected to right tackle in the NFL. Moving failed NFL tackles inside to Guard and expecting success has not been a winning formula. Learning the different blocking assignments usually takes a great deal of time.

Hopefully the next time a college tackle refuses to participate in the agility drills at the Combine, the Giants will pass. Both Flowers and Neal passed on those drills and failed in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nb587

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 26, 2024, 06:19:54 PMYup.

Barring a miraculous turnaround, which seems all but impossible, he joins Ron Dayne, Cedric Jones, DeAndre Baker, Eli Apple, Kadarius Toney, and Ereck Flowers as the Giants' biggest first round busts ever.

Or he may join Corey Webster and Amani Toomer who were pretty bad their first 2-3 years as Giants.  If Neal did not have injury problems since he got here and what was probably subpar OL coaching since he got here, I would be more inclined to be as pessimistic as most seem to be.  When you add in the fact that the OL looks much better than the last few years, I still have hope that he will get better and maybe much better.

DaveBrown74

There's a difference between not being utilized much in high impact, starting roles early in your career and being terrible. The former applies to Toomer and Webster. The latter applies to Neal.

He's on the team this year. He's going to get another chance. We'll see what he does with it. I'm just thankful we're no longer dependent on him at RT provided Eleumenor remains healthy.

Dumpster Dan

Forgive me if I dont get the attention given to neal by so many

To me all he is doing is taking up a roster spot

Dumpster Dan

Giant Obsession

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on September 01, 2024, 01:59:57 PMForgive me if I dont get the attention given to neal by so many

Dumpster Dan

EXACTLY !!!!!!

If his name was Joe Schmo, an UDFA from Backwater u. he would have been gone long ago.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

jimc

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on September 01, 2024, 01:59:57 PMForgive me if I dont get the attention given to neal by so many

Dumpster Dan

The Giants made a big investment in him by drafting him in the first round. He was supposed to be a can't miss prospect and the solution for right tackle for many years. They must have seen something in him to warrant their pick. They are now trying to figure out how to recoup anything of value from their investment. I'm sure it's extremely frustrating for them.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

jgrangers2

Appears Neal won't be the starter heading into week 1. Acknowledging that he's still probably first off the bench at tackle if needed, I'd really hope they would take a look at him at guard. I think it's obvious he's just not an NFL tackle at this point.

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: jgrangers2 on September 02, 2024, 06:47:04 PMI'd really hope they would take a look at him at guard. I think it's obvious he's just not an NFL tackle at this point.

That is such an interesting point made over and over by most of us--and it just proves that we are fans  nothing more.

The Giants braintrust and coaches havent given Neal ONE SNAP at guard  so how can it be obvious that he is not an NFL tackle??

Dumpster Dan

jgrangers2

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on September 02, 2024, 07:04:23 PMThat is such an interesting point made over and over by most of us--and it just proves that we are fans  nothing more.

The Giants braintrust and coaches havent given Neal ONE SNAP at guard  so how can it be obvious that he is not an NFL tackle??

Dumpster Dan

They've given him two years to figure it out as a tackle and yet he still struggles consistently at tackle. He's also a former 7th overall pick so he's going to get a longer leash than most would. If he was a 4th or 5th rounder, he would have probably been cut by now.

Also, the Giants stuck with Ereck Flowers for three seasons before they let him go and he became a serviceable guard elsewhere. Don't always assume that because the coaches think something that it is automatically the right thing.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Bob In PA

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 03, 2024, 06:11:06 PMThat's a really big reach for a consolation for missing on a top 10 pick.

uconn: IMO it wasn't meant to put lipstick on a pig but rather to indicate Neal's floor is higher than players like (for example) Marcus McKethan). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Slow and off-balance is a bad way tongo through NFL life.