News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Cuts

Started by EDjohnst1981, August 25, 2024, 07:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDToomer

Quote from: bamagiantfan on August 26, 2024, 11:16:31 AMI long for the days when the Giants would work out trades for players before they were cut. Ryan Grant, Brandon McManus.....

We were so deep at RB the year we had Grant in training camp. It was 2007 I believe and he was neck and neck with Bradshaw who won out because he was a recent draft pick. Grant then became a star with the Packers but it worked out for both teams as Bradshaw scored the final touchdown in the 2011 Super Bowl (though he tried not to!).
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

GloryDays

Question: Can the Giants place Luck on the PS?
If so, what happens if another team snags him to their 53, do they pick up his salary?

Jclayton92

Matt Corral the former Ole Miss QB and 3rd round pick just got Waived by the Vikings and I think we should be all over it. He's super mobile and accurate. He's better than what we have at backup right now.

Breida got cut by the 49ers
Sterling got cut by the bucs

Not that I want them but informative

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 26, 2024, 02:59:15 PMMatt Corral the former Ole Miss QB and 3rd round pick just got Waived by the Vikings and I think we should be all over it. He's super mobile and accurate. He's better than what we have at backup right now.

Daboll has a complex offense.  It will be challenging for any QB picked up to learn the system.   That said, the quality of some of the QBs waived/cut easily exceeds DeVito, which shows the Giants could likely waive him without losing him
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 26, 2024, 02:59:15 PMMatt Corral the former Ole Miss QB and 3rd round pick just got Waived by the Vikings and I think we should be all over it. He's super mobile and accurate. He's better than what we have at backup right now.

If memory serves, Corral was drafted after the 2021 college season. How come he hasn't taken an NFL snap yet? Also, didn't he just recently leave the NFL to go to a different league?

Seems like he's having trouble maintaining an NFL roster spot. He lasted on the Vikings for literally 10 days after the McCarthy injury.

Don't get me wrong, Luck and Devito are both pretty bad, but I'm not sure I can see how this guy is the answer. He's 25 and he's already been cut by three NFL teams. Seems he is being given chances and can't seem to catch on.

TDToomer

Quote from: GloryDays on August 26, 2024, 02:35:34 PMQuestion: Can the Giants place Luck on the PS?
If so, what happens if another team snags him to their 53, do they pick up his salary?

I would love the pry Andrew Luck out of retirement!
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

bamagiantfan

Corral isn't an NFL QB IMO. He is proving that one team at a time. I'm not interested in the Giants being next.

No thanks on Breida, even though that is a crowded RB room over there. I'm not even sure Mitchell is the backup anymore.

At a minimum, Shepard should sign a 1 day deal and retire a Giant. Loved him. Unfortunately he seemed to play with an intensity his body couldn't match.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Bill Brown

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 26, 2024, 03:05:38 PMIf memory serves, Corral was drafted after the 2021 college season. How come he hasn't taken an NFL snap yet? Also, didn't he just recently leave the NFL to go to a different league?

Seems like he's having trouble maintaining an NFL roster spot. He lasted on the Vikings for literally 10 days after the McCarthy injury.

Don't get me wrong, Luck and Devito are both pretty bad, but I'm not sure I can see how this guy is the answer. He's 25 and he's already been cut by three NFL teams. Seems he is being given chances and can't seem to catch on.

He couldn't start for a UFL team this spring. I'll pass.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

nb587

I haven't seen much of Lock other than an unimpressive outing against the Lions until he got hurt.  From what I've read, he has a major league arm and is not afraid to let it rip.  When we signed him, I thought it was a good sign that the Seahawks apparently wanted him back. I'm in the camp that Daboll is very good at creating a game plan that accentuates the QB talents.  Hopefully, Lock sits on the bench all season but if that happens, I'm hopeful that Lock improves the deficiencies in his game and becomes a good QB

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bill Brown on August 26, 2024, 04:00:33 PMHe couldn't start for a UFL team this spring. I'll pass.

Bill

Was it that he couldn't start for the UFL team, or that he left the UFL team to go sign with the Vikings after they expressed interest following the McCarthy injury?

Even if it was the latter, he was cut 10 days after they brought him in. And they are the third NFL team that cut him.

It's hard to see how he'd help us, although admittedly the bar is pretty low in our QB room.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on August 27, 2024, 08:12:31 AMMild Surprise

Dumpster Dan

It was, but in hindsight, I think I got caught up in the "we finally got a FB hype."  I shouldn't have ignored the little voice in my head that pointed out he was a late addition to the team, and if they really wanted him, they would have signed him earlier.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE