News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen's drafting

Started by MightyGiants, August 25, 2024, 08:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on August 26, 2024, 09:46:24 AMSomething is broken within this organization. All the sugar coating and optimistic spin in the world doesn't change the fact that the Giants are a bottom-5 team in terms of wins and losses for more than a decade.

There's an old saying that you can't fix a problem until you acknowledge you have one. I'm not sure Mara and company are willing to take responsibility beyond scapegoating one or two individuals each season.

So true.

I think the Giants need a proven head coach with a no nonsense personality.  Time to shape men.

They need a GM who can identify hidden problems to avoid draftees and find hidden talent and select them.

Schoen and Daboll are not getting it done.

todge

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 25, 2024, 08:08:55 PMHe may have been an upgrade to Flowers, but that's not saying much because Flowers was horrible. What Solder was not was anything remotely close to being the best tackle in the league. He might have been the best tackle left available when they signed him, but they made him the highest paid tackle in the league. He was not anything close to that with the Pats, and he certainly wasn't with the Giants either.

When you vastly overpay for a middling/mediocre talent, you hurt your team because you deprive yourself of the ability to use that wasted, overspent cap space on other talent. That is exactly what Gettleman did when he paid Solder the highest paid tackle in the league. That hurt the team. If you see it differently then we can agree to disagree, but I would humbly suggest you'll have a hard time finding many Giants fans who agree with you that the Nate Solder contract wasn't a bad contract.
We aren't privy to contract negotiations and I never once said it was a good contract. Solder was contemplating staying in New England and uprooting his family  which included a cancer stricken child. In order to entice him to come here, the Giants had to meet his asking price.

So sometimes, many times, teams have to "overpay" to entice players to move. There was no one left to play left tackle. What move do you think the Giants should have made to shore up the left tackle issue?

But fine we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WheresDayne

As we all know by now, Dallas had Neal on their list.  How well do you think He'd be playing if Dallas drafted him?  I bet much better than he is here.  Just a hunch   >:( 2

MightyGiants

Just a side note on this.  I heard a discussion recently where they explained the lack of Giants roster talent.   The explanation was simply-  How many of Schoen's picks have performed better than the expectations they would have based on where they were drafted?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Quote from: WheresDayne on August 26, 2024, 01:37:28 PMAs we all know by now, Dallas had Neal on their list.  How well do you think He'd be playing if Dallas drafted him?  I bet much better than he is here.  Just a hunch   >:( 2
This is the million dollar question.

Is it a scouting issue, a development issue, or a combination.

MrGap92

Quote from: todge on August 26, 2024, 01:02:08 PMWe aren't privy to contract negotiations and I never once said it was a good contract. Solder was contemplating staying in New England and uprooting his family  which included a cancer stricken child. In order to entice him to come here, the Giants had to meet his asking price.

So sometimes, many times, teams have to "overpay" to entice players to move. There was no one left to play left tackle. What move do you think the Giants should have made to shore up the left tackle issue?

But fine we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Pretty much anyone could have played at a level as horrible as Solder did. If there was a dropoff, as bad as it would have been, they could have used the funds to upgrade the roster elsewhere. IDK what ultimately would have been the issue, but that signing did not "shore up" left tackle anyway, if the positions going to suck, id rather not throw a boatload of cash at horrible.

He was horrible, played horrible, cap hit was horrible. It was a bad deal all around.

nb587

Quote from: Philosophers on August 26, 2024, 09:34:20 AMHow is it that on a perennially bad team and drafting near the top of the draft board, the Giants are lucky to get only 2 starters out of it yet other teams like the Chiefs drafting at the back because they are so good find 2 starters in the same draft?  With so much more talent, it should be harder to break into the starting lineup of a team like the Chiefs.
If you're just going to focus on the draft, you need to give his 3rd draft a little more time than the preseason. 

todge

Quote from: MrGap92 on August 27, 2024, 09:51:33 AMPretty much anyone could have played at a level as horrible as Solder did. If there was a dropoff, as bad as it would have been, they could have used the funds to upgrade the roster elsewhere. IDK what ultimately would have been the issue, but that signing did not "shore up" left tackle anyway, if the positions going to suck, id rather not throw a boatload of cash at horrible.

He was horrible, played horrible, cap hit was horrible. It was a bad deal all around.
Sorry but Solder's PFF grades don't support your claim that he was "horrible". His first season carried a pass blocking grade of 74.1 with a pressure rate of only 5%. His run blocking grade was 63.4 which is not great but above average. Nate continued with solid grades for several years.

Perception isn't always reality. Solder was a good signing and solidified the important position after the Flower's disaster