News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants are not ready for 2024 season

Started by Philosophers, August 25, 2024, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 25, 2024, 06:47:44 PMAgreed. We have a history of not only overrating our own talent but also clinging to bad decisions and believing non-performers will suddenly turn it around. We did it with Will Hernandez. We did it with Lorenzo Carter. We've been doing it with Jones. And now we may do it with Neal.

This is why you need objective evaluaters from outside the Giants bubble.

Sem

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 25, 2024, 06:47:44 PMAgreed. We have a history of not only overrating our own talent but also clinging to bad decisions and believing non-performers will suddenly turn it around. We did it with Will Hernandez. We did it with Lorenzo Carter. We've been doing it with Jones. And now we may do it with Neal.

It does seem that way, but with the turnover in coaches and GM's over the past bunch of years why is it?

spiderblue43

I don't like what has transpired at all. OL hasn't played together..depth is bad..DBs suspect,.Jones middling..

Injuries will wipe them out almost immediately. They added a couple of pieces in Nabers and Burns that might shine all season, but so many problems possibly await.

First two games will be a decent guage if there is improvement that matters.

Gmo11

If it makes you feel any better this time last year the offense appeared to be firing on all cylinders DJ lighting it up back there. Giants scoring all kinds of preseason points...and then they got shutout/embarrassed in Game 1. The 0-16 Lions went undefeated in their preseason. It would have been nice to see signs of life...but until the real games start none of this means a lot.

Giant Jim

Quote from: Philosophers on August 25, 2024, 10:36:46 AMDJ has been inconsistent at best.  Their backup QBs have looked horrible.

Their starting OL has looked better, but their backups are awful.  Giants always suffer injuries so expect their OL with backups playing to bring down their offense.

Giants depth across almost every position group is poor.  They simply are not a roster stocked with talent.

Rinse, repeat.  How many years now of this same problem?

Whatever Daboll is doing as CEO is not working. 
DJ has hardly played and the only QB that's had time to show anything was projected to be 3rd string, if he even made the team.

Most of the starting OL has played very little or not at all. If you feel that what you saw as the starting OL, it was filled with backups, so the real backups should be better.

Ignore the bottom 35 players who will be cut, then look at what's left. We barely saw the starters so far. 

Schoen acquires the talent, not Dabol.

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on August 25, 2024, 10:46:33 AMToo bad we have a garbage commissioner otherwise I'd say another Rozelle type intervention is due.
The commissioner has no right to stick his nose in for a situation like this. Rozelle ignored Tim for years and didn't get involved until Art Modell and Art Rooney pushed him after the team was at an insanely low point. He did not hire George Young nor force him on them. He just brokered a "peace treaty" between Tim and Well.

Quote from: TDToomer on August 25, 2024, 04:35:14 PMI was too young at the time of the 77 season but why didn't they get a real starter for the season instead of CFL Picarek, a rookie and 2nd year guy with zero snaps? Or Draft Tommy Kramer or Vince Ferregamo?
Wellington Mara ran the team back then and didn't have a clue. He went into the 1965 season without a QB too. That year, he could've picked Joe Namath, but screwed it up and also screwed up obtaining his rights from the St Louis Cardinals after passing on him in the draft.

Quote from: kartanoman on August 25, 2024, 05:39:16 PMThey traded Craig Morton away to Denver for their QB, Steve Ramsey.

Morton led Denver to the Super Bowl right after the Giants traded him. Earl Morrall led the Colts (11-2) to the Super Bowl the year after the Giants traded him. He led Miami a good portion of their undefeated season.

The pre-season showed nothing. I'm still worried about the defensive backfield. Most were confident that they improved the OL, but we'll have to wait until the season starts. TE could also be an issue.

TDToomer

Quote from: Giant Jim on August 26, 2024, 10:41:18 AMEarl Morrall led the Colts (11-2) to the Super Bowl the year after the Giants traded him. He led Miami a good portion of their undefeated season.

To be fair the Giants had Tark so Morrall was never going to play.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Giant Jim

Quote from: TDToomer on August 26, 2024, 10:47:17 AMTo be fair the Giants had Tark so Morrall was never going to play.
They gave up a lot to get him and got nothing in return. Morrall was Johnny Unitas and Bob Griese's backup those years, so there's no reason he couldn't have been Tarkenton's and they would've had him instead of Norm Snead after Tarkenton. All they got for him was a little used TE that lasted 2 seasons.

katkavage

On the 100th anniversary of the team, it's nice to recap those years of horror (though as a young fan, I still loved them). The Mara's though pioneers in the league, were never the most forward thinking owners. That trait remains to the detriment of the team and its fans.

TDToomer

Quote from: Giant Jim on August 26, 2024, 11:08:20 AMThey gave up a lot to get him and got nothing in return. Morrall was Johnny Unitas and Bob Griese's backup those years, so there's no reason he couldn't have been Tarkenton's and they would've had him instead of Norm Snead after Tarkenton. All they got for him was a little used TE that lasted 2 seasons.

Is it possible that Earl asked to be traded as soon as I saw that Tark was the #1 and he rarely gets hurt? Back then you couldn't just count down the days to free agency. You had to have your agent work some magic.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

AZGiantFan

To the original post, I hope you are wrong, but I fear you are right.  I think it was a profound mistake to use the 3rd PS game to sort out the bottom of the roster rather than to play the starters for at least a half to prepare the team to compete.  One half after being out most of the prior year is not enough to get the rust off DJ.  It also takes live reps for a newly reconstituted OL to jell, IMO. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 26, 2024, 02:38:17 PMTo the original post, I hope you are wrong, but I fear you are right.  I think it was a profound mistake to use the 3rd PS game to sort out the bottom of the roster rather than to play the starters for at least a half to prepare the team to compete.  One half after being out most of the prior year is not enough to get the rust off DJ.  It also takes live reps for a newly reconstituted OL to jell, IMO. 

I can't really argue against any of the above, but very few teams around the league played their starters in game three. Where I feel like we dropped the ball even more was game one. I didn't understand having most of the starters, including Jones, completely sit in that game.

The final game of the preseason has always been a walk-through type game (penultimate is the dress rehearsal) so I don't have as big a problem with resting our starters this past Saturday as I did with the first of the three, personally.

FWIW our week one opponent did not appear to play their starters in game three either. Darnold and Justin Jefferson didn't for sure (I checked the box score).

TDToomer

The Jets didn't play Rodgers, Hall or Wilson so why would the Giants play Jones, Nabors and Singletary? You can say "just 1-2 series" but disaster could strike early in the game.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on August 26, 2024, 03:24:58 PMThe Jets didn't play Rodgers, Hall or Wilson so why would the Giants play Jones, Nabors and Singletary? You can say "just 1-2 series" but disaster could strike early in the game.

Tend to agree. Having our 1s line up for a quarter or two against their 2s/3s may make the fans feel good and instill some optimism, but I'm not sure it does much for the players. The Carolina game in last year's preseason comes to mind. For two weeks after that Giants fans thought the team was going to be some sort of offensive juggenraut and that the nightmare of the past decade was over. Turned out to be as bad as it has ever been.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TDToomer on August 26, 2024, 03:24:58 PMThe Jets didn't play Rodgers, Hall or Wilson so why would the Giants play Jones, Nabors and Singletary? You can say "just 1-2 series" but disaster could strike early in the game.

Because they are preparing for the season and Daniel and the Oline desperately need the gametime reps.  Disaster can strike early in the first regular season game as well, cf. Aaron Rodgers.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 26, 2024, 03:28:20 PMTend to agree. Having our 1s line up for a quarter or two against their 2s/3s may make the fans feel good and instill some optimism, but I'm not sure it does much for the players. The Carolina game in last year's preseason comes to mind. For two weeks after that Giants fans thought the team was going to be some sort of offensive juggenraut and that the nightmare of the past decade was over. Turned out to be as bad as it has ever been.
I see it as a building process. Training camp doesn't start with full pads and contact. It's walk-throughs, 1-on-1s, 7-on7s, then half pads, light contact, etc. Then comes the practices and scrimmages against other teams. The point is to build up for the regular season opener. The 1s could have/should have played the first half of each of the preseason games. Pull the starters at the half and use the second half of the games to evaluate the rest of the roster.

As it is, by the time Week 1 comes, the starters will not have had any real live reps for three weeks and are expected to be ready to go. I'm not the coach and it's not my ass on the line. But if I were, that would have been my approach. If Jones gets hurt, he gets hurt. It's part of the game.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: