News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is it fair to say the Jets are better than the Giants and by a huge margin?

Started by brownelvis54, August 25, 2024, 01:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Looking at both rosters, it seems clear that the Jets will have a hard time to cut down to 53 players and the way the players on the Giants played last night, made it easy for Daboll to cut players.

The Jets back up QBs seem better than Lock and DeVitio, the depth of the Jets roster seem deeper and better. And looking in the next couple of years, the Jets look poised to become even better. The Jets recent drafts have been great, and those players (if they blossom) will add to what the Jets currently have. The 2022 draft the Jets slayed it and 2023 looked good. Watching the game last night was frustrating to say the least. Watching the Jets backups trash our players was worse than watching Gease 2. Even back up D Line dominated the Giants. There RB group is deep. The Jets have 3 underrated pass rushers right now in former first round pick Takk McKinley, Leonard Taylor III out of Miami Hurricanes & Braiden McGregor out of Michigan Wolverines. It would not surprise me if the Jets take the AFC East and go deep into the playoffs.

The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

On paper the Jets have a significantly better roster, yes. Both in terms of the talent of their starters and in terms of their depth.

QB play is a big variable here though and that is a bit of a black box. Nobody knows what Rodgers will look like this year, and frankly many Giants fans feel that even after five years we still don't know what Jones is.

I like the Giants' coaches better than the Jets', personally. But roster-wise I don't see it as being all that close, and caliber and depth of the roster is the most important thing.

Philosophers

Gmo11

I'm not sure they are that much better until I see Rodgers play. If you remove the QB position I don't think the gap is significant at all. But obviously QB is the most important position so when you factor that in things change quite a bit. If Rodgers is still the same guy that is.

But after that the most important positions are probably pass rusher and LT and the Giants stack up pretty well with Thomas and the trio of Burns/Lawrence/Thibs. Sauce is incredible but Banks not far behind based on his rookie year. Nabers appears to be every bit the player Wilson is. RB isn't close. 

so I'd agree the Jets have a better overall roster but probably not significantly better unless Rodgers returns to his all pro form. At 40 years old coming off an Achilles tear.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on August 26, 2024, 04:17:15 AMIf you remove the QB position I don't think the gap is significant at all.

I just can't get on board with this statement myself, as much as I'd like to. I think the Jets' roster, even taking the QB position out of the equation, is simply vastly superior to ours on both sides of the ball. Both from a top of the depth chart perspective and from a depth perspective. That roster is loaded and looks like one of the best three or four in the league to me.

Oddly enough, I think Rodgers is the big x-factor that could hold them back. He turns 41 this year, an age that has not been kind to many QBs not named Tom Brady. If he is just not the QB he used to be and not even close, it's going to be tough for them to beat that 10.5 number. If he is even just 75-80% as good as he was in 2020 and 2021 (MVP years), they could be the number two or number three seed in the AFC in my opinion.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 26, 2024, 05:16:04 PMI just can't get on board with this statement myself, as much as I'd like to. I think the Jets' roster, even taking the QB position out of the equation, is simply vastly superior to ours on both sides of the ball. Both from a top of the depth chart perspective and from a depth perspective. That roster is loaded and looks like one of the best three or four in the league to me.

Oddly enough, I think Rodgers is the big x-factor that could hold them back. He turns 41 this year, an age that has not been kind to many QBs not named Tom Brady. If he is just not the QB he used to be and not even close, it's going to be tough for them to beat that 10.5 number. If he is even just 75-80% as good as he was in 2020 and 2021 (MVP years), they could be the number two or number three seed in the AFC in my opinion.

I mentioned LT and pass rushers as two key spots I think the Giants on paper hold an advantage at. Projecting here admittedly but Wilson and Nabers a wash to me though that could be proven otherwise on the field. Even Okereke might hold an edge at MLB. Do you disagree with any of that? Or do you think essentially every other spot is decidedly in the Jets favor?

Rodgers could be a disaster and if so I think the Giants would be the better team next year. But I do think he's going to be pretty good albeit not his MVP level good and Jones could only dream of being 75% of prime Rodgers so for that reason I would say the Jets are the better team in a head to head game, but I'll stand by my position that outside of QB they are pretty close.

Woody

yes absolutely . Jets Defense alone will win more games for Jets than the Giants offense

bamagiantfan

Is it safe to say the 18-0 Patriots are better than the Giants.  :yes:

That's why they play the games.

Are you ready for some footbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall!
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on August 27, 2024, 02:37:34 AMI mentioned LT and pass rushers as two key spots I think the Giants on paper hold an advantage at. Projecting here admittedly but Wilson and Nabers a wash to me though that could be proven otherwise on the field. Even Okereke might hold an edge at MLB. Do you disagree with any of that? Or do you think essentially every other spot is decidedly in the Jets favor?

Rodgers could be a disaster and if so I think the Giants would be the better team next year. But I do think he's going to be pretty good albeit not his MVP level good and Jones could only dream of being 75% of prime Rodgers so for that reason I would say the Jets are the better team in a head to head game, but I'll stand by my position that outside of QB they are pretty close.

The Jets have arguably the best secondary in the league and the Giants' have one of the worst. It's a massive disparity. Even if you think the defensive front sevens are similar, the Jets' is much deeper. Their D is a lot better overall.

Offensively I'll give you Nabers and Wilson are probably a wash or close enough, but RBs are not remotely close. O line remains to be seen. Both were bad and both were improved in the offseason.