News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants hunting for returner

Started by MightyGiants, August 26, 2024, 05:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

If they are just looking for a stop gap until Gunner or McKenzie are healthy, Sterling Shepard?
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

Quote from: bamagiantfan on August 26, 2024, 05:51:57 PMIf they are just looking for a stop gap until Gunner or McKenzie are healthy, Sterling Shepard?

Interesting option.  Although, I believe they would need to wait until after week one to sign him or his salary is fully guaranteed, as a vested vet.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: bamagiantfan on August 26, 2024, 05:51:57 PMIf they are just looking for a stop gap until Gunner or McKenzie are healthy, Sterling Shepard?

I don't know what the exact prognoses are on Gunner and McKenzie.

I don't hate the Shep idea if we just want someone who can field the ball cleanly and probably not fumble it, but if we want anyone with any burst at all and who has a chance at a chunk return, I don't think he's the guy.

However, I will admit that when you're looking for someone in the 11th hour like this, getting a guy who you feel confident is not likely to turn it over is probably the most important thing.

Philosophers

Tyrone Tracy?  He's got shake and bake and good hands.  Why not?  He's not a starter.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on August 26, 2024, 06:17:16 PMTyrone Tracy?  He's got shake and bake and good hands.  Why not?  He's not a starter.

I guess because our RB room is so thin, and it's important to remember that we no longer have a workhorse back. Singletary is a 190-200 carry guy, not a 275 carry guy. We're going to be a RBBC this year. Singletary will have the biggest share, but I expect Tracy and Gray to have meaningful touches in this offense.

I don't think they feel they can afford to risk getting Tracy hurt on specials if they can just as easily go out and find someoene off the street who can handle the role at a serviceable level.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 26, 2024, 06:25:18 PMI guess because our RB room is so thin, and it's important to remember that we no longer have a workhorse back. Singletary is a 190-200 carry guy, not a 275 carry guy. We're going to be a RBBC this year. Singletary will have the biggest share, but I expect Tracy and Gray to have meaningful touches in this offense.

I don't think they feel they can afford to risk getting Tracy hurt on specials if they can just as easily go out and find someoene off the street who can handle the role at a serviceable level.

If you are right maybe that means they think Gray is tenuous at best as a #2 RB.

What about Turbo?  Did they have him returning punts in camp at all?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on August 26, 2024, 07:26:29 PMIf you are right maybe that means they think Gray is tenuous at best as a #2 RB.

What about Turbo?  Did they have him returning punts in camp at all?

I found something that says they had him returning kickoffs in spring and were training him on returning punts.

I have not seen anything in the past few days suggesting he's an option for this now though.

EDjohnst1981

Big no thanks to shep.

He was a wasted roster spot last year. Keep looking Giants.

Topshelf21

Oh my...

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

It's Ok to use a 2nd stringer as a return man. Other teams do it. Enough with this "but Sehorn" mentality. There is no reason why any of the current speed guys that will make the 53 cannot return a punt or kickoff.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs