News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

My thoughts on the Giants' initial 53 man roster

Started by MightyGiants, August 28, 2024, 07:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

First, I think it will be subject to significant changes.

Surprises

I am surprised that Ford-Wheton ended up being the last WR standing.  From what I had seen in camp and in PS games, he had put little to nothing on tape.  It seemed like Boykin was a better (albeit slightly older and more expensive) version of Ford-Wheton.

Mild surprise about Allen Robinson, I guess they didn't want to keep 7 WRs

Jakob Johnson is one where I will confess to getting caught up in the FB excitement while ignoring the little voice in my head that kept saying he was a late camp addition and should be considered a long shot.

Surprised Boogie Basham made the roster.  I can't help but feel he made it because the Giants spent a small amount of draft capital to acquire him in a trade.  It didn't appear he earned his spot by his on-field performance.

Thoughts:

I really hope Turbo Miller doesn't get claimed (I think there is a good chance he can) and he ends up on the PS.  I like the man's upside and returner potential with the new kickoff rule.

I am puzzled as to why the Giants kept DT Jordan Riley on the 53.  I can't see any team claiming him if waived, and his deep backup role would be just as effective from the PS.

I would love to see the Giants bring back Nick Gates.  I think he would be an instant upgrade to Schlottman.

As predicted, there were 4 or 5 QBs released with more talent than DeVito.  I wonder if the Giants would gamble (because the claimed QB would take weeks to get up to speed) on an upgrade by claiming one of the QBs.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

In terms of DeVito, I don't see the Giants looking for marginal gains at the QB position considering the alleged complexity of Dabs' system. I think they'll stick with familiarity at the position.

Also, how much game time did DeVito get with the 1s? We talk about pillars of support, around OLine, RB and Wideout - to my mind, he had very little of that in preseason and would have that should he be pressed into duty this season.   

Philosophers

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on August 28, 2024, 09:11:27 AMIn terms of DeVito, I don't see the Giants looking for marginal gains at the QB position considering the alleged complexity of Dabs' system. I think they'll stick with familiarity at the position.

Also, how much game time did DeVito get with the 1s? We talk about pillars of support, around OLine, RB and Wideout - to my mind, he had very little of that in preseason and would have that should he be pressed into duty this season.   

If DeVito is playing again, my guess is we will have a new management/coachibg staff in place next season.  Their lives depend on DJ playing 16 games at a better than average level.  That much is clear to me.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Philosophers on August 28, 2024, 09:16:55 AMIf DeVito is playing again, my guess is we will have a new management/coachibg staff in place next season.  Their lives depend on DJ playing 16 games at a better than average level.  That much is clear to me.

That wasn't my point but I don't necessarily disagree with what you've said. Although I wouldn't be surprised if both get a go with "their" QB.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on August 28, 2024, 09:11:27 AMIn terms of DeVito, I don't see the Giants looking for marginal gains at the QB position considering the alleged complexity of Dabs' system. I think they'll stick with familiarity at the position.

That is why I wonder if the Giants would pull the trigger.  I think the upside of some of the QBs is substantial, but learning the Dabs system means a huge gamble (if they are forced to play before they are really ready).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Yes
Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on August 28, 2024, 09:35:24 AMThat wasn't my point but I don't necessarily disagree with what you've said. Although I wouldn't be surprised if both get a go with "their" QB.

Yes but if they go to draft their QB then they should get the time to develop him.  That would give the regime 6+ years here with a sub-performing record which would be unprecedented

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on August 28, 2024, 10:48:19 AMYes
Yes but if they go to draft their QB then they should get the time to develop him.  That would give the regime 6+ years here with a sub-performing record which would be unprecedented
I'd rather go the unprecedented route versus their current precedent of firing HCs after 3 years or less. An unprecedented measure stops the ridiculous merry-go-round.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Philosophers

Quote from: T200 on August 28, 2024, 11:12:23 AMI'd rather go the unprecedented route versus their current precedent of firing HCs after 3 years or less. An unprecedented measure stops the ridiculous merry-go-round.

Not sure I am confident they can draft the right QB and develop him.

I dont think they can identify people well.  Wink blow up.  Bobby Johnson debacle.  Neal mistake.

There were many who thought Dabs was not the "mastermind" of offense that he gets credit for.

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on August 28, 2024, 11:16:49 AMNot sure I am confident they can draft the right QB and develop him.

I dont think they can identify people well.  Wink blow up.  Bobby Johnson debacle.  Neal mistake.

There were many who thought Dabs was not the "mastermind" of offense that he gets credit for.
That's definitely understandable. The three guys you mentioned, are all unique situations and, IMHO, can't be lumped together.

I don't think 2022 was a fluke. It showed that Dabs was able to create something with very little to work with in terms of a talented roster.

2023 was a perfect storm of Murphy's Law taking effect at each and every turn.

Daboll has shown that he's not opposed to making hard choices and decisions (firing Johnson, taking over play calling) and I think the hiring of Bricillo and the acquisition of two of his Raiders linemen will provide the boost and protection Jones and the running game desperately need.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: