News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants PS signings thread

Started by MightyGiants, August 28, 2024, 01:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 28, 2024, 03:36:17 PMFrom Dan Duggan

Giants' unofficial practice squad based on, well, who was practicing:

RB Dante Miller
WR Isaiah Hodgins
WR Miles Boykin
TE Jakob Johnson

TE Lawrence Cager
OL Joshua Miles
OL Marcellus Johnson
OL Jimmy Morrissey
DL Casey Rogers
OLB Tomon Fox

ILB Ty Summers
ILB KJ Cloyd
DB Alex Johnson (was back working at CB)
S Raheem Layne
K Jude McAtamney

I highighted the guys I really wanted back.

- I love having Turbo around who could end up being pretty good.
- I like Hodgkins, even though he fell off at the end of last season. He's made plenty of clutch catches for us in the past.
- Boykin is a ST stud who will probably lead the STs in tackles. He just has a nose for the ball and wastes no moves to get to it. He's been double-teamed in the past because of his skill set
-  Jakob Johnson will help the OL more than anything else, but that's worth it in itself IMO
- I like Casey Rogers and he could end up becoming a stud lineman. Great player to groom for the future
- I also like Tomon Fox a lot. Not sure why he dropped off, but he has skills
- Getting Alex Johnson might be a steal that pays big dividends...let's hope
- and it's really smart to get back K Jude McAtamney, because he qualifies as an "NFL's International Player Pathway Programme" player who won't count against the 53 or PS, allowing us to keep another player as he's exempt. And, it's never a bad thing to have a kicker-in-waiting on the PS in case of injury
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

londonblue

If the Giants use the International Exemption for McAtamney he can be elevated to the 53 a maximum of 3 times during the season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/what-is-the-international-player-pathway
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

todge

If you spend the entire year on the PS - rookies and 2nd year players can earn up to $212,500 while vets with 3 years+ can earn up to $362,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamagiantfan

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 28, 2024, 03:55:12 PMWaiver claims have to go on the 53 man roster
So, with McAtamney, they are permitted a 16th on the PS, no?
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

Quote from: bamagiantfan on August 28, 2024, 05:37:11 PMSo, with McAtamney, they are permitted a 16th on the PS, no?

Yes, he is an international exemption
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Talkin' Giants

@TalkinGiants
Giants Current Reported Practice Squad

1. FB Jakob Johnson
2. CB Art Green
3. WR Isaiah Hodgins
4. RB Dante Miller
5. DL Elijah Garcia
6. LB Ty Summers
7. LB Tomon Fox
8.  TE Lawrence Cager
9. S Alex Johnson
10. C Jimmy Morrissey
11. WR Miles Boykin
12. OT Joshua Miles
13. DT Casey Rogers
14. OL Marcellus Johnson
15. LB Kj Cloyd
16. S Raheem Layne

Exempt: K Jude McAtamney
8:40 AM · Aug 29, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

Quote from: bamagiantfan on August 29, 2024, 12:38:54 PMSo, I guess that means since Morrissey was not activated from the PS, that Van Roten is the backup at Center?

So it would seem
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

We are told that we didnt claim any CB because nobody was better than what we had.  Does anyone else find it interesting at least a little bit that the moves we have made since have been CB?  Added TWO today to the PS  and are working out THREE more today.

Dumpster Dan

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on August 29, 2024, 01:16:34 PMWe are told that we didnt claim any CB because nobody was better than what we had.  Does anyone else find it interesting at least a little bit that the moves we have made since have been CB?  Added TWO today to the PS  and are working out THREE more today.

Dumpster Dan

Dan,

Joe's full quote shows he admits he is still looking to upgrade:

Q. Are there other guys you claimed who you didn't get because there were teams higher?

JOE SCHOEN: We put in one claim.

Q. How do you feel with your cornerback two position right now? How do you feel with what you feel with what you have at outside corner?

JOE SCHOEN: Yeah, I feel good with it.

Q. Do you feel like you have done enough to address that position this off-season?

JOE SCHOEN: Yeah, I mean, drafting Dru Phillips. We're excited about him. We thought that was a good pick for us in the third round. You get a certain amount of swings, and certain players are available. It's a position we'll continue to look at, as we will with all positions. If there's an opportunity to upgrade there, we will. I think there was, again, 1100 players that were cut since Friday. I think there was 26 players I believe were claimed. Five were corners. So of 1100 players, five were corners that were claimed. That's an important position when we're making these trade calls or depth calls with other organizations. If you called every team, 32 out of 32 would probably say they are looking for depth at corner. It's a difficult position to find. We're always going to look to upgrade across the entire roster. But that position in particular, one or two injuries away. There's not a lot of teams that have three good corners on their roster as you really look through it. Again, like I said, every position we'll continue to look to upgrade if we can.

Q. How excited are you having Nick McCloud get the first crack there?

JOE SCHOEN: Yeah, they're going to compete it out. (Cor'Dale) Flott is back now. Those guys will compete. Again, we'll leave that to Dabs and his staff, how they want to do it going into week one with Minnesota. Again, I'll let him talk about who's going to play and not play.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

Rich

Understand   but there are some CB still out there who have had a decent NFL career--it may be a cap issue---it may be a guaranteed contract issue until after the first week--But how many CB do you want on your PS?   I get it--in JS we trust--it just seems to me to be an unusual amount of activity for one position one day after cutdown day

Dumpster Dan

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on August 29, 2024, 01:33:03 PMRich

Understand   but there are some CB still out there who have had a decent NFL career--it may be a cap issue---it may be a guaranteed contract issue until after the first week--But how many CB do you want on your PS?   I get it--in JS we trust--it just seems to me to be an unusual amount of activity for one position one day after cutdown day

Dumpster Dan

Dan,

Please don't get me wrong; I am not particularly comfortable with the team's CB situation.   That said, I don't think the answer was coming from the waiver wire.  The only way I see the team making a significant upgrade is to sign one of the veteran CBs still on the market.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 29, 2024, 01:39:09 PMDan,

Please don't get me wrong; I am not particularly comfortable with the team's CB situation.   That said, I don't think the answer was coming from the waiver wire.  The only way I see the team making a significant upgrade is to sign one of the veteran CBs still on the market.

Se Rich

WE are on the same page--I just wasnt very good in saying so

Dumpster Dan