News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - NCAA Football Week One Thread

Started by DaveBrown74, August 29, 2024, 08:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 31, 2024, 07:24:47 PMClemson has collapsed as a program. Losing Venables as their DC was a blow, and not using the portal is obviously impacting them. They used to be a perennial top 3 program. Now they're getting humiliated in games.

They had a run of about 5 years where they were top-4 each year.  Other than that run, their top 10 AP finishes were few and far between.

Jclayton92

As an Ole Miss fan I love seeing Dart basically hang 500 and 5 tds in a half but the freshman we had come in later had me more excited if that's possible.

DaveBrown74

Huge win by ND. This won't move them up in the rankings as everyone else won, but they're the only top 25 team that won a genuinely challenging game (they were a 3 point dog). Their O line is incredibly inexperienced but got the job done and will only get better. Riley Leonard didn't put up glitzy numbers but he was constantly pressured and hurried and still managed to stay upright and avoid turnovers. Definitely thought he did a solid job. ND's secondary looked elite. They also ran it well at times. Doubt they can beat the UGA's of the world but they appear to have what it takes to challenge to be in the top five.

Bob In PA

Looks like few watched Penn St vs WVa (the 2-hr storm delay didn't help and GA vs Clemson was also on). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 01, 2024, 10:12:00 AMLooks like few watched Penn St vs WVa (the 2-hr storm delay didn't help and GA vs Clemson was also on). Bob

I watched some of that game up until the delay. Couldn't watch all of it because I was keying on UGA/Clemson as watching Beck was my top priority. Allar did look good though from what I saw.

This QB class may be ok. Shedeur, Beck, Dart, Allar, and Ewers all figure to have a realistic chance of going in the top 10 or 15.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 01, 2024, 10:31:07 AMI watched some of that game up until the delay. Couldn't watch all of it because I was keying on UGA/Clemson as watching Beck was my top priority. Allar did look good though from what I saw.

This QB class may be ok. Shedeur, Beck, Dart, Allar, and Ewers all figure to have a realistic chance of going in the top 10 or 15.

Jeff - I dont think those QBs you listed are all top 15 material especially when compared to the high end defensive prospects.  Maybe 1 or 2 go top 15 but not the others.  There are defensive prospects I like more than any of these QBs.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on September 01, 2024, 10:53:36 AMJeff - I dont think those QBs you listed are all top 15 material especially when compared to the high end defensive prospects.  Maybe 1 or 2 go top 15 but not the others.  There are defensive prospects I like more than any of these QBs.

Joe,

Maybe they don't ultimately pan out as top 15 QBs in the NFL, and I wasn't saying that, but every year QB-needy teams talk themselves into using top 15 picks on QBs who arguably don't deserve it. The position is of mythical importance in the NFL, and there are always a plethora of teams that are either in dire need at the position or at least want to upgrade, and many are willing to gamble. I think all of those names I mentioned have a genuine chance to be in the top 15 if they have big seasons.

Will all five of them end up being in the top 15? Probably not, but I did not say that. I think some will though. Plus there is a realistic chance one or two others emerge who are not as front and center on the grid right now.

Jolly Blue Giant

I know that Syracuse vs. Ohio was not a marquee game, but it was on. As I've boasted on here about the "New Orange Football" with new coach and a plethora of transfers and a good draft class, it wasn't a blowout win like I hoped. SU did win 38-22, but they lost their best defensive player for the next several games, LB Marlow Wax, who had been in last year's NFL draft class before withdrawing to play for the new coach. SU's best offensive player, TE Orando Gadson II was also back after withdrawing from the NFL draft to play for new HC Brown. Gadson was an All American last year, second only to TE Brock Bowers, and showed his value yesterday with 7 catches for 108 yds, including a TD

The good:

QB Kyle McCord is the real deal, with poise, football smarts, strong arm, and throwing dimes. He finished with 354 yards and 4 TDs
SU's WRs made a lot of spectacular catches and it appears we have one of the best receiving group we've had in decades
RB LeQuint Allen put up 100 yards on the ground and made a one-handed circus catch in traffic for a TD that should make the highlight reel (https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4911851/lequint-allen)

The bad:

the defensive line could not stop the run. Ohio had over 250 yards pounding the ground...RB Anthony Tyrus III had 2 TDs and 207 yds by himself, on 16 carries (12.7 yds per carry). Tyrus was a beast who is big, fast, and elusive for a 6-1/230 lb RB. He also pulled in 40 yards in the air. Maybe someone to keep an eye on

The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

President Rick

Maryland won.  Navy won.  Good week for me.  Go Giants!!!!
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 01, 2024, 11:48:45 AMI know that Syracuse vs. Ohio was not a marquee game, but it was on. As I've boasted on here about the "New Orange Football" with new coach and a plethora of transfers and a good draft class, it wasn't a blowout win like I hoped. SU did win 38-22, but they lost their best defensive player for the next several games, LB Marlow Wax, who had been in last year's NFL draft class before withdrawing to play for the new coach. SU's best offensive player, TE Orando Gadson II was also back after withdrawing from the NFL draft to play for new HC Brown. Gadson was an All American last year, second only to TE Brock Bowers, and showed his value yesterday with 7 catches for 108 yds, including a TD

The good:

QB Kyle McCord is the real deal, with poise, football smarts, strong arm, and throwing dimes. He finished with 354 yards and 4 TDs
SU's WRs made a lot of spectacular catches and it appears we have one of the best receiving group we've had in decades
RB LeQuint Allen put up 100 yards on the ground and made a one-handed circus catch in traffic for a TD that should make the highlight reel (https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4911851/lequint-allen)

The bad:

the defensive line could not stop the run. Ohio had over 250 yards pounding the ground...RB Anthony Tyrus III had 2 TDs and 207 yds by himself, on 16 carries (12.7 yds per carry). Tyrus was a beast who is big, fast, and elusive for a 6-1/230 lb RB. He also pulled in 40 yards in the air. Maybe someone to keep an eye on
I lost all respect for McCord when he backed away from Ohio State because they were too critical of him last season.

If you cannot handle the media in Columbus Ohio and Ohio fans, you're certainly not equipped to handle a big (or medium sized) market at the pro level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 01, 2024, 12:54:11 PMI lost all respect for McCord when he backed away from Ohio State because they were too critical of him last season.

If you cannot handle the media in Columbus Ohio and Ohio fans, you're certainly not equipped to handle a big (or medium sized) market at the pro level.

Valid point.

Although this generation of athletes is full of snowflakes who can't take a little bit of media criticism or heat from their coaches without crying about it.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 01, 2024, 12:54:11 PMI lost all respect for McCord when he backed away from Ohio State because they were too critical of him last season.

There was a lot more to the story than that. He won every game he started until he got beat by Michigan St, then came the boos and "he's a piece of ...", etc. Meanwhile, he wasn't happy at Columbus long before that final loss. It so happened, that his father and Fran Brown's father were close friends. So Kyle grew up with Fran Brown's family in New Jersey and had known Fran since he was a small boy and even played toss and catch with a football with him in the backyard

Turn the page: Brown leaves Georgia to take over as head coach of the Orange. Both Marlow Wax and Orando Gadson were headed to the NFL. Brown begged them to play "one more year" and both said, "get us a real QB, and we'll stay". So Brown immediately rounded up some of the big Orange supporters to put together a killer NIL deal to try and pry Kyle away from Ohio State...it worked. Kyle never thought of going into the transfer portal until he found out Brown was taking over a team...a team that was closer to home so his friends and family could attend his games without airfare

Kyle was excited to play for Brown, a close family friend, whilst making a tidy package of cash at the same time. Meanwhile, he was being booed at Ohio State for letting Michigan State beat them so it was a no-brainer to go where he was wanted and under a coach he absolutely loved (long before going to Ohio St.) And Brown is loved. One of the reasons a lot of the top recruits for Georgia followed him to Syracuse, and the reason he's also the top recruiter for the last several years

Kyle's name will start to be thrown around in upcoming drafts as first round material if he stays healthy. He has all the tools of an NFL QB and even has the elusive height of many first round QBs. I wouldn't completely write him off or hold a grudge against him. He's a talented kid who went where he believed it was best for him. Don't worry about Ohio State...they'll replace him with a ringer. They always do
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 01, 2024, 02:27:47 PMThere was a lot more to the story than that. He won every game he started until he got beat by Michigan St, then came the boos and "he's a piece of ...", etc. Meanwhile, he wasn't happy at Columbus long before that final loss. It so happened, that his father and Fran Brown's father were close friends. So Kyle grew up with Fran Brown's family in New Jersey and had known Fran since he was a small boy and even played toss and catch with a football with him in the backyard

Turn the page: Brown leaves Georgia to take over as head coach of the Orange. Both Marlow Wax and Orando Gadson were headed to the NFL. Brown begged them to play "one more year" and both said, "get us a real QB, and we'll stay". So Brown immediately rounded up some of the big Orange supporters to put together a killer NIL deal to try and pry Kyle away from Ohio State...it worked. Kyle never thought of going into the transfer portal until he found out Brown was taking over a team...a team that was closer to home so his friends and family could attend his games without airfare

Kyle was excited to play for Brown, a close family friend, whilst making a tidy package of cash at the same time. Meanwhile, he was being booed at Ohio State for letting Michigan State beat them so it was a no-brainer to go where he was wanted and under a coach he absolutely loved (long before going to Ohio St.) And Brown is loved. One of the reasons a lot of the top recruits for Georgia followed him to Syracuse, and the reason he's also the top recruiter for the last several years

Kyle's name will start to be thrown around in upcoming drafts as first round material if he stays healthy. He has all the tools of an NFL QB and even has the elusive height of many first round QBs. I wouldn't completely write him off or hold a grudge against him. He's a talented kid who went where he believed it was best for him. Don't worry about Ohio State...they'll replace him with a ringer. They always do
That's all well and good, but first: he initially chose Ohio State, so whatever the circumstance he committed and then backed out: Second; if he aspires to be a pro he's far better off at the program whose passing game has been far and away a top 3 passing game at OSU....thats called having every opportunity to earn top 5 QB ranking.

If nothing else it's a poor business decision vis a vis his career path. He'd better produce at Syracuse or the decision will be that much worse.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 01, 2024, 03:00:24 PMThat's all well and good, but first: he initially chose Ohio State, so whatever the circumstance he committed and then backed out: Second; if he aspires to be a pro he's far better off at the program whose passing game has been far and away a top 3 passing game at OSU....thats called having every opportunity to earn top 5 QB ranking.

If nothing else it's a poor business decision vis a vis his career path. He'd better produce at Syracuse or the decision will be that much worse.

It might be a poor decision, but after playing behind CJ Stroud and finally getting a chance to start, he wasn't guaranteed a starting role as OSU's pipeline is full of highly ranked players at every position including QB, not to mention they had signed Will Howard after Howard was the pride of Kansas State. McCord was guaranteed a starting job at SU and wanted to be sure he'd be a starter going into his senior year, where nothing is promised (although, SU did make that promise that he'd be the starter no matter what)

On the other hand, Will Howard was a good QB at Kansas State, and chose to enter the portal in order to play for Ohio State, where he's starting this year. He's in the same boat as McCord, in that they are both seniors and both changed schools in their senior years. It'll be interesting to see how it works out for both of them, and what the scuttlebutt will be in next years NFL draft

Philosophers

USC - LSU should be a good one.  USC's new DC is supposed to have really gotten his guys playing well in practice.  That has been USC's weakness under Riley.