News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

CB Adoree' Jackson

Started by MightyGiants, August 30, 2024, 09:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on August 30, 2024, 11:17:09 AMI'm not the slightest bit enthused about this signing. Jackson lost a step two years ago. To me he's an aging backup that's a last minute desperation signing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted,

Adoree is only 28. It's a bit unusual for guys to age out that young
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: todge on August 30, 2024, 11:17:09 AMI'm not the slightest bit enthused about this signing. Jackson lost a step two years ago. To me he's an aging backup that's a last minute desperation signing

Ted

In an attempt to put a positive spin on it--I'm going to call it Plan B instead of desperation.

Dumpster Dan

Puffy

Hey, remember when this board wanted James Bradberry gone because he aged and lost a step?  Bowen plays more zone than Wink ever did so Jackson should fare much better than last year just based on that, IMO

DaveBrown74

I'm fine with it, assuming it's for materially less than the $13mm/yr we were paying him before, which I'm pretty certain it would be.

Jackson was a very good player for us two years ago. Assuming he can pass a physical, I struggle to believe he has nothing left at 28.

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 30, 2024, 11:49:11 AMTed,

Adoree is only 28. It's a bit unusual for guys to age out that young
Rich - PFF ranked him 117 out of 127 CBs. I just can't see how he provides nothing more than depth. If he's starting or plays a big role, then this secondary is worse than we originally thought.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Puffy on August 30, 2024, 12:09:04 PMHey, remember when this board wanted James Bradberry gone because he aged and lost a step?  Bowen plays more zone than Wink ever did so Jackson should fare much better than last year just based on that, IMO

Why do you think Jackson is better in zone coverage than M2M?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: todge on August 30, 2024, 12:22:11 PMRich - PFF ranked him 117 out of 127 CBs. I just can't see how he provides nothing more than depth. If he's starting or plays a big role, then this secondary is worse than we originally thought.

Could it just be that he had a bad year? I'm not saying he'll be great this year but if he's cheap, what's the downside? Maybe he just had a bad year last year, and last year isn't precisely representative of his true ability. Was 2023 a good guide of how good Daniel Jones is?

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on August 30, 2024, 12:03:57 PMTed

In an attempt to put a positive spin on it--I'm going to call it Plan B instead of desperation.

Dumpster Dan

Again to Ted

Think about this

Brandon Brown told us that they were going to be very "aggressive" with the claiming wire.  They were not--JS told us there wasnt anybody better than what we have, in their opinion

Yesterday they had a massive workout--at least six CB----nobody signed

Important thing we do not know--when did they first contact Adoree?  Right after yesterdays workouts and he is in the building today?? Highly doubt it

So again what I call Plan B  was put into motion

As an aside--dont you think the hated Eagles are watching closely what happens right now with Adoree negotiations??

Dumpster Dan

Gmo11

He's probably the best option of what's left to choose from. They needed another CB and the Panthers scooped up all the waiver CBs so the Giants get what's left.

kingm56

Quote from: Puffy on August 30, 2024, 12:09:04 PMHey, remember when this board wanted James Bradberry gone because he aged and lost a step?  Bowen plays more zone than Wink ever did so Jackson should fare much better than last year just based on that, IMO

Clearly, you're not keeping tabs on Bradberry. He had an atrocious 2023 and is injured for a significant portion of 2024.  Removing him from the roster was absolutely the correct move.

MightyGiants

Another thing to consider is Adoree is a vested veteran.   The Giants may sign him initially to their PS and then elevate him after week one.   If Adoree Jackson is on the roster in week one, then his salary is fully guaranteed.

My thought is this shouldn't be a factor if he is going to be a starter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 30, 2024, 10:01:24 AMIf they add Jackson, it would be a massive upgrade to the CB room.  You would be set at the boundary with Banks and Jackson (with McCloud or Flott as backup), and Flott could be a proper backup for Dru Phillips in the slot position.
Rich: He must have been their "ace-in-the-hole" all along.  I had forgotten he was still available.

Other members, one of whom I think was Dumpster Dan, expressed worry (rightfully) about the secondary in general have were worried about the defensive backfield. The team seemingly did not panick (as evidenced in part by what they did NOT do on cut-down day or immediately thereafter) and this probably explains it.

My issue with him is... why was no one else interested in him, so far as we know?  That worries me. Could the team have been in touch with his agent all summer?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 30, 2024, 02:37:37 PMRich: He must have been their "ace-in-the-hole" all along.  I had forgotten he was still available.

Other members, one of whom I think was Dumpster Dan, expressed worry (rightfully) about the secondary in general have were worried about the defensive backfield. The team seemingly did not panick (as evidenced in part by what they did NOT do on cut-down day or immediately thereafter) and this probably explains it.

My issue with him is... why was no one else interested in him, so far as we know?  That worries me. Could the team have been in touch with his agent all summer?

Bob

I suspect it was his asking price. Adoree and Stephon Gilmore were the two top CBs left in the free agent pool. The Giants got into a bidding war for Gilmore, and lost out to the Vikings. Gilmore got a 10 million, 1-yr deal. Adoree is going to get roughly 7M for a year (at least, that's PFFs prediction). He has made it clear since the beginning of free agency that he wanted to go to a team that has a fair shot at a Superbowl ring. Must be the teams in shape to have a shot at the Lombardi, didn't want to spend the money and were already in good shape at corner, or maybe they are cap tight.  :-??  I think the Giants are/were Adorees least desirable team, considering we're not ready to take a run at the gold. So he compromised, and so did the Giants. That is...assuming they get a deal done. That's my thought anyway, and it could be completely off the wall for all I know
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Puffy

Quote from: kingm56 on August 30, 2024, 01:02:07 PMClearly, you're not keeping tabs on Bradberry. He had an atrocious 2023 and is injured for a significant portion of 2024.  Removing him from the roster was absolutely the correct move.

I am paying attention.  I specifically stated "when this board wanted him gone" meaning 2021. In 2022 Bradberry was an All-Pro.  And, I am only talking about signing Jackson now to a 1 year deal/Vet Minimum or similar low end salary.  Jackson played under LeBeau his rookie year (I believe) and then Dean Pees and they both run a good bit of zone, so Jackson has been familiar with concept.  My whole point is guys have bad years/bad fits in certain schemes. I don't think Jackson is done because he played horribly last year.  He might be but at certain price point its worth it (especially with what Giants have in house)

nb587

Giants have a certain number of weaknesses.  CB is at or near the top of the list.  Jackson is an upgrade over what we have at the moment  even with his play last year.  Pretty clear that CB will be a priority on next years draft whether he signs or not.  Why are some so negative?