News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

CB Adoree' Jackson

Started by MightyGiants, August 30, 2024, 09:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGap92

If it doesn't work out, they can just cut him, no real risk, with upside of a CB2 for 2024

He has connections with the Titans / Bowen, makes alot of sense, there likely wont be much guaranteed so they arent going to be married to the guy.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: nb587 on August 30, 2024, 03:41:59 PMGiants have a certain number of weaknesses.  CB is at or near the top of the list.  Jackson is an upgrade over what we have at the moment  even with his play last year.  Pretty clear that CB will be a priority on next years draft whether he signs or not.  Why are some so negative? 

I'm not sure the Giants DB weakness has a whole lot to do with whether Jackson can still play a starting role for this team. Jackson knows Bowen's Defense and Bowen knows Jackson from their time in Tennessee. Jackson can be an asset to the entire DB room. I'm sure he can still play some but likely wasn't considered by other teams coming off a so-so year for the price he was asking. Dalvin Cook just went through something similar and signed with the Cowboys.

I just figured all along he would land somewhere else. Its time for him to fire his agent and get a job and his old coach is now with the Giants. It makes some sense.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on August 30, 2024, 03:41:59 PMGiants have a certain number of weaknesses.  CB is at or near the top of the list.  Jackson is an upgrade over what we have at the moment  even with his play last year.  Pretty clear that CB will be a priority on next years draft whether he signs or not.  Why are some so negative? 

I agree. Everything is also a function of price, and we don't know that yet. If it's just a modest fraction of his former salary ($13mm/yr), I don't see any real harm. If they pay him $9mm or something then I'm less of a fan of the move.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Puffy on August 30, 2024, 12:09:04 PMBowen plays more zone than Wink ever did so Jackson should fare much better than last year just based on that, IMO
Puff: That is a great point that (until now) had completely eluded me. Thanks for posting it. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

nb587

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 30, 2024, 04:36:36 PMI agree. Everything is also a function of price, and we don't know that yet. If it's just a modest fraction of his former salary ($13mm/yr), I don't see any real harm. If they pay him $9mm or something then I'm less of a fan of the move.
That's a good point.   I'm going back and forth on this.  Jackson was holding out for a big contract and has now folded settling for a few milion, 2-3 with incentives.  Or, the Giants folded realizing how bad the secondary is with less than decent options at CB2 and a question if our CB1is really a CB1 and a rookie safety.  In that case, it is a bigger deal it's closer to $9 million.

Dumpster Dan

We have a deal!!!  One year.

Details to follow

Dumpster Dan

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on August 30, 2024, 06:37:05 PMWe have a deal!!!  One year.

Details to follow

Dumpster Dan

This makes me happy  :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

Im Happy hes back.... never thought he was at bad as many make it seem.... I am now comfortable with CB1/CB2.. if healthy while not great .... may be sufficient enough if the front 7 can manage pressure

And if Dru turns out to be a good slot corner that is even better

Woody

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 30, 2024, 10:22:27 AMWhy is he still available?
because he is not very good ...average at best....more than one time I saw him get completely blown away as CB  .and had choice words for him in the privacy of my living room.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Woody on August 31, 2024, 07:53:56 AMbecause he is not very good ...average at best....more than one time I saw him get completely blown away as CB  .and had choice words for him in the privacy of my living room.

Totally fair, but did you feel that way about him in 2022?

I'm not saying 2023 is not relevant. I am a firm believer that the most recent season is the most relevant of any single season. But if I look at his collective work throughout his career, he's a good player. After last year, I wouldn't want to spend meaningful money on him, but at 28 years old (assuming there isn't some injury we don't know about), how bad can he be relative to what we have besides Banks?

Plus with a one year deal what's the downside of this exactly?

Woody

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 31, 2024, 08:36:00 AMTotally fair, but did you feel that way about him in 2022?

I'm not saying 2023 is not relevant. I am a firm believer that the most recent season is the most relevant of any single season. But if I look at his collective work throughout his career, he's a good player. After last year, I wouldn't want to spend meaningful money on him, but at 28 years old (assuming there isn't some injury we don't know about), how bad can he be relative to what we have besides Banks?

Plus with a one year deal what's the downside of this exactly?
Not saying they should not sign.   They need to at this point.  But bringing  him back speaks to the lack of talent at that position on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Woody on August 31, 2024, 08:49:00 AMNot saying they should not sign.   They need to at this point.  But bringing  him back speaks to the lack of talent at that position on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agreed. The secondary on this team (overall) is a real weak spot. All they're doing here is addressing a position they really had no answers for. Flott, Hawkins, etc just aren't up to the job. Adoree is not a great solution, but he's very likely better than anyone on the roster outside of Banks before his acquisition.

My hope is Banks at least makes the leap to being an upper echelon NFL cover corner, but that will be a real leap for him. He was definitely not that last season, despite "flashing" plenty of times.

I would also add that if you can get real penetration and heat on the QB with a four man rush, that can do wonders for masking a suspect secondary. We'll see if that can happen this season. Burns/Thibs/Dex/Okereke is a pretty legit four man front.

MightyGiants

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
I'm not sure how Adoree' Jackson will play this season for the Giants. Two years ago, he was great - even after the decision to have him return punts. He was lights out vs. Minnesota vs. JJ.

If he rides a roller coaster like last season, then maybe his presence pushes Cor'Dale Flott to find his game without the pressure of being the guy. Or lets Nick McCloud play a bunch of roles like Julian Love did a few years back.

Still waiting on contract details, but if the numbers are low as expected, they went for the known commodity and showed a willingness to reconsider plans.

Was it desperation or smart business? I'd say some of both, but that's what the NFL is.
Last edited
9:45 AM · Aug 31, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Woody on August 31, 2024, 07:53:56 AMbecause he is not very good ...average at best....more than one time I saw him get completely blown away as CB  .and had choice words for him in the privacy of my living room.
Woody: You're probably right, but he's still better than the other two options at CB2. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 31, 2024, 09:46:32 AMArt Stapleton
@art_stapleton
I'm not sure how Adoree' Jackson will play this season for the Giants. Two years ago, he was great - even after the decision to have him return punts. He was lights out vs. Minnesota vs. JJ.

If he rides a roller coaster like last season, then maybe his presence pushes Cor'Dale Flott to find his game without the pressure of being the guy. Or lets Nick McCloud play a bunch of roles like Julian Love did a few years back.

Still waiting on contract details, but if the numbers are low as expected, they went for the known commodity and showed a willingness to reconsider plans.

Was it desperation or smart business? I'd say some of both, but that's what the NFL is.
Last edited
9:45 AM · Aug 31, 2024
·
 Views

Fair from Art.

I want to see the number. If it's silly then I'll be critical. Because you can roll remaining cap room, so it's not good to just waste it just because you have it.

If it's a reasonable number then I'll be supportive. Precisely what the threshold between reasonable and silly is I actually am not really sure. I'd have to look at the whole pay scale for the position down to mediocre vets. I'll consider all this when I see the number.

My base case is I don't mind the move. I doubt it makes a major difference, but if he's a moderate upgrade to the current options we have on the roster and the number isn't some bizarrely high number then I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.