News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

CB Adoree' Jackson

Started by MightyGiants, August 30, 2024, 09:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Meh - I don't believe this signing will tangibly alter our W/L record. I'd rather let the young players develop and prepare for the 2026 campaign.  I don't see the Giants as seriously competing this season, and Jackson's presence doesn't alter my predictions.

andrew_nyGiants

I'd rather focus on developing youngsters than depend on Jackson. My only caveat is if he's an outstanding mentor and he is willing to play that role on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

I'm not sure why Adoree being on the team precludes the development of young corners. If they're not ready to play now, do we really want to watch them get picked on all year with no alternative?

Also we should admit the possibility that some of these young corners on our team will never be NFL starter material. Whom do we have genuinely high hopes for among these young corners besides Banks?

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 31, 2024, 01:18:18 PMI'm not sure why Adoree being on the team precludes the development of young corners. If they're not ready to play now, do we really want to watch them get picked on all year with no alternative?

Also we should admit the possibility that some of these young corners on our team will never be NFL starter material. Whom do we have genuinely high hopes for among these young corners besides Banks?

After pre-season, the most glaring weakness on the team was CB2. The coaches have given all the youngsters every opportunity to prove they can handle it. They came up short. The Giants then scoured the waiver wire looking for a good CB, which came up snake eyes. They also tried to sign Stephon Gilmore, but the Vikings outbid them and gave him 10M+

What were the Giants supposed to do. Every team we face will try to exploit our weakest link...which is CB2. It's not like they can go to the store and buy one. And even though Jackson is now in the fold, that doesn't mean that the youngster won't get field time...they will, as injuries are just part of football and corner is a position where injuries are common. I think it was a smart move to do what we can to shore up our weakest link before season starts
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 31, 2024, 01:18:18 PMI'm not sure why Adoree being on the team precludes the development of young corners. If they're not ready to play now, do we really want to watch them get picked on all year with no alternative?

It may not preclude them starting, and I would hope it doesn't. I also have no problem with easing the youngsters in...as long as Jackson isn't getting whipped like a rented mule.
As to your last point, of all the young CBs not having the talent to be NFL starting material, were either missing on picks or not developing players to compete and start. Which if true, is an indictment on our GM & HC.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on August 31, 2024, 01:30:30 PMIt may not preclude them starting, and I would hope it doesn't. I also have no problem with easing the youngsters in...as long as Jackson isn't getting whipped like a rented mule.
As to your last point, of all the young CBs not having the talent to be NFL starting material, were either missing on picks or not developing players to compete and start. Which if true, is an indictment on our GM & HC.

Since DeAndre Baker, we haven't used a top 50 pick on a corner other than Banks. Corner is a premium position in the NFL. In most drafts, the obviously good ones are gone by pick number 50. Obviously, you still have some third and fourth round corners (or later) who pan out, just like you do at every position, but they're not easy to find. I don't know why anyone would be surprised or highly disappointed that Trey Hawkins isn't turning out to be a better player than people had hoped. Flott is definitely a little disappointing, but realistically how high were his expectations getting picked in the third round?

If we want top notch, shut-down corners on this team we're going to have to be willing to use top 50 picks on the position and not on middling supplemental receivers like Wan'Dale Robinson.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 31, 2024, 01:34:15 PMSince DeAndre Baker, we haven't used a top 50 pick on a corner other than Banks. Corner is a premium position in the NFL. In most drafts, the obviously good ones are gone by pick number 50. Obviously, you still have some third and fourth round corners (or later) who pan out, just like you do at every position, but they're not easy to find. I don't know why anyone would be surprised or highly disappointed that Trey Hawkins isn't turning out to be a better player than people had hoped. Flott is definitely a little disappointing, but realistically how high were his expectations getting picked in the third round?

If we want top notch, shut-down corners on this team we're going to have to be willing to use top 50 picks on the position and not on middling supplemental receivers like Wan'Dale Robinson.
This roster is nowhere near top 10 in the league talent-wise, which IMHO is a requirement to be a contender.

So with that in mind, I don't expect our CB2 to be shutdown...just competent as an NFL starter IE a solid tackler and can compete in the passing game...not dominate or shutdown every time...just compete and win a little better than half the time.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 31, 2024, 01:34:15 PMSince DeAndre Baker, we haven't used a top 50 pick on a corner other than Banks. Corner is a premium position in the NFL. In most drafts, the obviously good ones are gone by pick number 50. Obviously, you still have some third and fourth round corners (or later) who pan out, just like you do at every position, but they're not easy to find. I don't know why anyone would be surprised or highly disappointed that Trey Hawkins isn't turning out to be a better player than people had hoped. Flott is definitely a little disappointing, but realistically how high were his expectations getting picked in the third round?

According to an article I read this morning, the Giants planned on taking Kool-Aid McKinstry with their 2nd rd pick (47), but he was taken by New Orleans at 41. So they went with Tyler Nubin and was hoping Andru Philips would still be available in the 3rd

Basically, there was a run on CBs ahead of the Giants being on the clock in round two

Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama
Round 2, Pick 41 | New Orleans Saints

Kamari Lassiter, Georgia
Round 2, Pick 42 | Houston Texans

Max Melton, Rutgers
Round 2, Pick 43 | Arizona Cardinals

Giants sitting at 47

CB Mike Sainristil, Michigan (picked 50)
CB Ennis Rakestraw Jr., Missouri
CB Renardo Green, Florida State
were also taken in round 2

The Giants took Philips in round 3, then CBs Elijah Jones, Jarrian Jones, and Kyrhee Jackson came off the board. Obviously, CBs are a hot commodity and the Giants were happy that Philips was still on the board. By taking Tyler Nubin in the second, the Giants plugged the big hole left when Xavier McKinney took flight for big money. My bet is, that Sainristil was on the Giants' radar, but were quite shocked that Nubin was still there when they were on the clock and there was no way they could miss out on the best safety in the draft (by far)
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 31, 2024, 10:35:18 AMWoody: You're probably right, but he's still better than the other two options at CB2. Bob

I'm a great believer in the notion that context plays a big role in individual player performance. (BTW, kudos on your Daniel Jones Derangement thread).  And it doesn't apply just to QBs.  So I'll throw out the possibility that between how bad the overall team was in 2023, and the Wink dysfunction, Adoree was unable to maintain the level of play he had previously exhibited.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

I think WHEN Adoree was signed is a strong indication of how the development of the young corners has been progressing.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

You gotta give young corners two years before moving on. Flott showed me nothing last season to even think he could do any more than beat out Holmes, and it shouldn't take Sherlock to figure that out. Tre has to rise up this season or he's perennial backup material. The best cover Corner on this team is Nick McCloud and he's been inconsistent but he's given up 7 yards per target and .83 yards per coverage snap. Still some of you insist he's a Safety. Flott gave up 288 YAC last season. Nick's tackling and run support suffered last season as did the rest of the Defense. They only started him three games last season and used him heavily in four.

Better Adoree than nobody. The Secondary was badly neglected by Schoen going into this season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 01, 2024, 10:32:09 AMThe Secondary was badly neglected by Schoen going into this season.

He did use two of his first three picks on the secondary in this most recent draft and used his top pick on it in the previous one. Not to mention other picks as well as some signings. Hard to call that "bad neglect."

When you have a roster with as many problem areas as ours, it's tough to address every single issue in a really in-depth way.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 01, 2024, 10:38:13 AMHe did use two of his first three picks on the secondary in this most recent draft and used his top pick on it in the previous one. Not to mention other picks as well as some signings. Hard to call that "bad neglect."

When you have a roster with as many problem areas as ours, it's tough to address every single issue in a really in-depth way.
Edit-Corner, we are talking Corner here.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin