News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Detroit Lions Draft Since 2018 Vs Gmen

Started by Philosophers, August 30, 2024, 06:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Here is something to get you depressed. 

First round picks

2018 - Frank Ragnow (20) vs Saquon Barkley (2)
2019 - TJ Hockenson (8) vs DJ (6) Dex (17) DeAndre Baker (30)
2020 - Jeff Okudah (3) vs Andrew Thomas (4)
2021 - Penei Sewell (7) vs Kadarius Toney (20)
2022 - Aidan Hutchinson (2) Jameson Williams (12) vs Kayvon (5) Neal (7)
2023 - Jahmyr Gibbs (12) Jack Campbell (18) vs Deonte Banks (24)

Look at the success rate in the first round alone of the Lions vs Giants.  Not just success rate but top shelf star players

Now add in some other rounds like Sam LaPorta, etc plus trade to get Jared Goff and you see how they became top tram while we are stuck in the mud.

DaveBrown74

Philosophers

bamagiantfan

They drafted ahead of the Giants most years, in the top 10 usually. They traded Hockenson and two picks to the Vikings for two picks, so there is some addition by subtraction on the list.

That DeAndre Baker pick still burns me. We traded up for that clown.

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

jgrangers2

Quote from: bamagiantfan on August 31, 2024, 07:02:57 AMThey drafted ahead of the Giants most years, in the top 10 usually. They traded Hockenson and two picks to the Vikings for two picks, so there is some addition by subtraction on the list.

I have a serious question on Baker. Was he a known problem before the draft or are the issues that Giants' fans have with the pick purely 20/20 hindsight based on the robbery? Looking back at the pre-draft rankings, taking him at 30th was far from a stretch and, arguably, a steal.

Philosophers

Quote from: bamagiantfan on August 31, 2024, 07:02:57 AMThey drafted ahead of the Giants most years, in the top 10 usually. They traded Hockenson and two picks to the Vikings for two picks, so there is some addition by subtraction on the list.

Both teams had 4 top ten picks during that timeframe.  Lions did more with theirs.

They traded Hockenson.  We traded out of 10 for another pick.  All virtually the same except for the result.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jgrangers2 on August 31, 2024, 09:24:42 AMI have a serious question on Baker. Was he a known problem before the draft or are the issues that Giants' fans have with the pick purely 20/20 hindsight based on the robbery? Looking back at the pre-draft rankings, taking him at 30th was far from a stretch and, arguably, a steal.

I don't think there were any major red flags on Baker, but there were rumblings about his work ethic (see below):

https://www.bigblueview.com/2020/5/17/21261117/deandre-baker-what-did-scouts-really-think-of-him-before-2019-nfl-draft-ny-giants

I remember noticing Baker's 40 time when they drafted him and not liking what I saw. 4.52 is really slow by NFL CB standards. That doesn't automatically mean he can't be good, but it's pretty tough. I don't think there's any position where 40 time matters more than corner.

todge

Baker was a shutdown corner in the SEC.  It appeared the Giants took him in the late 1st Round knowing full well his measurables were not commensurate with NFL success.

In terms of supposed character issues - there were several coaches who were upset that Baker opted out of the Bowl game and were cited as the source of rumors regarding his work ethic. Yet Baker never missed a practice or a game his entire career. Baker also never once got into trouble his entire college career. He reportedly interviewed poorly at the Combine.

The Giants were desperate for a CB so they moved up and took him. This result shows that the "measurables" were indeed his undoing. Character issues are difficult to identify as red flags with many players succeeding despite that rap.

The Draft is an inexact science. No one has yet to "crack the code" and be successful for long stretches of time. There remains an approximately 50% bust rate.

The Patriots were at the bottom of the league in Draft success for years. But excellent Free Agent pickups and an All World QB support the theory that Draft success is just one element that contributes to winning. I wouldn't cite it as the primary reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk