News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Josh Jacobs tells The Athletic the Giants offered him the most money

Started by MightyGiants, September 01, 2024, 12:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

QuoteThe Giants came on strong with an offer between $3 million and $4 million more than he eventually accepted. But Jacobs was turned off by the New York taxes, lifestyle, media and the artificial turf at MetLife Stadium.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5726214/2024/08/29/josh-jacobs-packers-raiders/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

All solid concerns for someone who doesn't understand how to leverage a large media market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

todge

The Giants installed an improved synthetic turf called Fieldturf Core HD before the 2023 season. This turf supposedly will cut down on injuries. I think Jacobs could have stopped at "taxes" as his reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: todge on September 01, 2024, 01:03:02 PMThe Giants installed an improved synthetic turf called Fieldturf Core HD before the 2023 season. This turf supposedly will cut down on injuries. I think Jacobs could have stopped at "taxes" as his reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He listed several reasons, turf being just one. I'm not sure why his other reasons are not valid reasons.

Also as you know, the team he chose uses hybrid grass, which is part artificial fibers and part real grass. So even if the new Giants' turf supposedly cuts down on injuries, it's still not as close to real grass as Lambeau.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually find it refreshing to see an athlete accept less money to play for a better team or a team in an area he personally prefers. Just because it happened to be our team he rejected doesn't mean he didn't have multiple sound reasons.

MightyGiants

https://x.com/justinpugh/status/1830337824744452176?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

No way Josh Jacobs turned down more money from the Giants! Let me explain why.

He signed a 4 year 48 million dollar deal from the Green Bay packers. 12mm a year. 12.5mm guaranteed. 12.5mm signing bonus. It's really a 2 year deal from the team's perspective because they have outs after 2 years.

1. Joe Schoen wouldn't go over 12.5mm for Saquon but would for Josh Jacobs? Doubt that.

2. Taxes were another point. His signing bonus should be taxed in his state of residence which should be Vegas if his advisors were calculated. So GB vs NJ doesn't matter there.

3. That leaves P5 salary. A players salary is taxed where you play and his salary for this year is 1.2mm. He'll play half his games in Wisconsin. That is ~600k in taxable income. So the decision comes down to state income tax in Wisconsin(7.65%)vs  NJ(10.75%).

4. The difference in state income tax is 3.1% and in dollar terms is only 18.6k for this year. His salary next year is even less(1.17mm). The following 2 years jumps up dramatically but those years aren't guaranteed! So the Tax reference also makes no sense because he's saving less than 40k for the next 2 years.

5. Media scrutiny could have played a factor and that's the only point and I can begrudgingly agree with. However the media is the BEST piece of playing for the Giants imo...just ask Strahan.

What did I miss?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

VanPelt

The author of the article (Pompei?) just recanted the story. Says the league office told him it never happened. He is taking a lot of heat twitter.

VanPelt

Quote from: VanPelt on September 01, 2024, 07:26:06 PMThe author of the article (Pompei?) just recanted the story. Says the league office told him it never happened. He is taking a lot of heat twitter.

https://x.com/danpompei/status/1830354049369026724?t=1pi8AYKm0HIdb6RLhFBHHw&s=19

Gmo11

I will say the report never made a ton of sense. It would be silly to throw those resources at a RB at all and as Pugh points out if they were inclined to do it they'd have done it for Barkley.

Schoen is building this team the right way and if that were true it would go against everything else he's doing so I'm pretty relieved that story is BS.

MightyGiants

Quote from: VanPelt on September 01, 2024, 07:26:06 PMThe author of the article (Pompei?) just recanted the story. Says the league office told him it never happened. He is taking a lot of heat twitter.

He should take a lot of heat.  His apology is crap.  That is piss poor journalism on his part, and he tries to turn the focus to Joe Schoen instead of his false reporting.  Pompei was just added to take anything he says with a huge grain of salt list.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimc

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 02, 2024, 07:08:11 AMHe should take a lot of heat.  His apology is crap.  That is piss poor journalism on his part, and he tries to turn the focus to Joe Schoen instead of his false reporting.  Pompei was just added to take anything he says with a huge grain of salt list.

I'm thinking these "false" stories happen a lot. And they remain out on the Internet to be found years into the future by AI engines.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimc on September 02, 2024, 08:18:38 AMI'm thinking these "false" stories happen a lot. And they remain out on the Internet to be found years into the future by AI engines.

I went back to the original link I posted from the Athletic.  The story remains unchanged.  xxxx, apology, and nothing was done to correct the false claim.  Don is an ass
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 01, 2024, 12:46:00 PMAll solid concerns for someone who doesn't understand how to leverage a large media market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or he's a kid who grew up in Oklahoma, and played at Alabama before living in Oakland and Vegas. Perhaps he prefers a more rural/smaller setting and isn't motivated by squeezing every penny out of his career.

Too many people in NY/NJ can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to live there. It isn't that great. I lived in Morris and Hudson counties for 15 years. There are plenty of people who bristle at the population density and congestion that comes with living in Northern NJ. I know I'd never move back.