News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Things that excite and causes for concern entering the season

Started by MightyGiants, September 03, 2024, 08:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

With the start of the season just a few days away, here are some of the things that excite me and things I have concerns with for the 2024 season:

Excite:

1)  Nabers-  He appears to be the real deal at WR.  My only real concern with him is his drops, but overall, I think he has the potential to jumpstart the Giants' offense as a true number-one WR and weapon.

2) Tyrone Tracy-  I have a feeling he could be the number one RB by the end of the year.  I think people are sleeping on him because of his relatively recent switch from WR to RB, but he appears to be the real deal, and no doubt he will improve the receiving from the RB position

3) The offensive line- it looks like the Giants have the makings of a middle-of-the-pack offensive line.  While normally not a cause for excitement, as a long-suffering Giants fan, this is a big deal.

4) Baby Bison Chatman—I was concerned that the Giants didn't draft a 3-tech DT to replace Leonard Williams. That concern was eliminated as the short (under 6 feet), but powerful DT added excitement when he was on the field (both with his power and his effort).

5) Brian Burns-  I will confess, I wasn't a big fan of the trade.  Having seen what he can do, my view of the trade has become significantly more favorable.

Concerns

1)  Daniel Jones-  Between injuries and PTSD, I am concerned that DJ will be able to take advantage of potentially the best QB situation of his career.  Plus, there are still concerns over his ability to take advantage of such a situation.

2) Swing OT-   If one of the OTs gets hurt, picking between Neal or Ezeudu is pretty much a pick-your-poison situation.  I am hoping Tyree Philips fully recovers from his quad injury (reports suggest he is) and signs with the Giants.

3) Cornerback-  Signing Adoree Jackson significantly lowered these concerns.  That said, I am still concerned about Banks reaching his potential.  I wonder how soon Adoree will be back to full speed.  I am not comfortable with Flott or McCloud as backups.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

I'm excited to see what the young wideouts can do. Especially the deep threats.

The edge rushers are very exciting too.

Concerns: I share yours but will add the running back by committee approach is a cause for concern.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on September 03, 2024, 09:28:19 AMI'm excited to see what the young wideouts can do. Especially the deep threats.

The edge rushers are very exciting too.

Concerns: I share yours but will add the running back by committee approach is a cause for concern.

Ed,

My take on the RBs

Gray and Singletary-  these are efficient RBs who will get the yards available but are not likely to create many yards on their own.

Tyrone Tracey looks to have the ability to create yards on their own (I also see that potential in Turbo). 

So for me the bigger concern with the running game may prove to be the O-line (which now seems better at pass blocking than run blocking) than the guys running the football.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 03, 2024, 09:34:07 AMEd,

My take on the RBs

Gray and Singletary-  these are efficient RBs who will get the yards available but are not likely to create many yards on their own.

Tyrone Tracey looks to have the ability to create yards on their own (I also see that potential in Turbo). 

So for me the bigger concern with the running game may prove to be the O-line (which now seems better at pass blocking than run blocking) than the guys running the football.

I like Turbo too.

I liked Gray's pre-season but he showed next to nothing as a rookie. Hopefully he's made the jump.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 03, 2024, 08:35:01 AMConcerns

1)  Daniel Jones-  Between injuries and PTSD, I am concerned that DJ will be able to take advantage of potentially the best QB situation of his career.  Plus, there are still concerns over his ability to take advantage of such a situation.

2) Swing OT-   If one of the OTs gets hurt, picking between Neal or Ezeudu is pretty much a pick-your-poison situation.  I am hoping Tyree Philips fully recovers from his quad injury (reports suggest he is) and signs with the Giants.

3) Cornerback-  Signing Adoree Jackson significantly lowered these concerns.  That said, I am still concerned about Banks reaching his potential.  I wonder how soon Adoree will be back to full speed.  I am not comfortable with Flott or McCloud as backups.

Rich: This may interest no one except you, but I seem to remember these are the same three concerns you expressed prior to the start of camp.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 04, 2024, 09:36:03 AMRich: This may interest no one except you, but I seem to remember these are the same three concerns you expressed prior to the start of camp.

Bob

That's a fair point.  At least I have fewer concerns than at the start of camp.  I think concerns with DJ will only be resolved with successful play in-season.  I was hoping swing tackle was going to resolve itself in camp, unfortunately it wasn't.  As for CB, I think that's the least of my 3 concerns.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Excited

In addition to what folks already said:

Tyler Nubin - players are saying he really understands the schemes and has a natural awareness of where to be and where to go.  I think he will be a starter this season.

LBs - in addition to Bobby Okereke, I believe our other LBs are solid include newby Johnson

TE - Theo Johnson feels to me to be a breakout player on the team.

Concern

Daniel Bellinger - what happened to him?  Promise to dumpster fire.

Deonte Banks - he did not develop the way I had hoped as I thought he'd be more lockdown than he was.  Does he continue to develop?

Isiah Simmons - not loving the idea that he was moved to slot CB.  He's a pursuing ILB in my opinion.  He said slot CB is not where he is best.

files58

Excited? Concerned? Not sure I share either of those emotions. I've been a fan since 1965. If I can still add numbers their overall record since then not counting playoffs is 425-482-4 that's a winning(sic) percentage of 47%. Their record in the past 10 years is 60-102 a 37% winning percentage. They are a historically LOSING franchise. 10 years ago they were valued at $2.1 Billion, today they are valued at $6.8 Billion. Imagine that, a company/business producing a historically inferior product yet having a more than a threefold increase in value. David Copperfield could learn something from the Mara/Tisch Show. There are different ways to measure success. There's the rub. We the fans measure success in wins and losses, Mara etal measures success in $$$$$$$$$. So don't be fooled by throwing chairs, and we have to do better yada yada yada. Still I will loyally watch them, root for them to win, and yell at the tv, as I have since 1965 as a 9 year old.
As a reference the Cowterds current value is $9 Billion, ten years ago they were valued at $3.2 Billion. They haven't really won squat since then. Yet every year JJ orates with we're going to the SB, and we're all in and other nice rhetoric. Notice a pattern here. To cross to another pro sport, the Yankees are no better.

Bob In PA

IMO most NFL head coaches are both excited and concerned about nearly every aspect of their various teams.

That's my attitude about Giants. A decent, but not great squad. Some concern for about half the starters.

For those starters whose play level does not concern me, I feel concerned that they'll be injured.

Bob

Painter

Being "excited" at the start of the season would be too much of a stretch when compared to my "concern" about what may be the future of the Giants QB whether it will be with Daniel Jones, or a start-over with the crap shoot of the 2025 Draft. That is my Realismo!

Cheers!

spiderblue43

injuries to the OL will wipe out any hope for a winning season. Paper thin at OT..Neal is worthless and Tye Phillips needs to be re-signed asap. And the secondary is a brush fire waiting to happen.

Gmen have to establish a credible run game to accentuate the deep middle passing attack they want to employ. Plus, I don't trust Jones to make good decisions consistently. He simply may have David Carr ptsd sack shock and cant function with poise.

its a better roster than last year, but not dramatically.

londonblue

Judging from the responses I may be in a distinct minority being excited about the interior DB corps but I am. Phillips looks like a clear nickel upgrade. Nubin will need a bit of time to settle in but his talent is obvious. Overall S depth is solid. Yes, the perimeter remains a scary concern even with Adoree back but the middle of the field (with good ILB depth, currently tested by injuries) promises to be tougher than it has been for opponents to wrack up cheap first downs.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on September 05, 2024, 06:30:35 AMJudging from the responses I may be in a distinct minority being excited about the interior DB corps but I am. Phillips looks like a clear nickel upgrade. Nubin will need a bit of time to settle in but his talent is obvious. Overall S depth is solid. Yes, the perimeter remains a scary concern even with Adoree back but the middle of the field (with good ILB depth, currently tested by injuries) promises to be tougher than it has been for opponents to wrack up cheap first downs.

Neal,

One thing Carl Banks mentioned this week.  Our DB room is young and in a new system.  We may see shades of 2007 Steve Spagnola where the defense gives up too many big plays early in the season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MrGap92

I am concerned that Jones will fail despite his best support ever, while not failing enough, putting them out of reach of his successor.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MrGap92 on September 05, 2024, 09:28:57 AMI am concerned that Jones will fail despite his best support ever, while not failing enough, putting them out of reach of his successor.

G: Yeah, we have no idea how Daboll/Schoen will decide if Jones' results are "good enough" this season.

As a fan who has thought about it a lot, what I hope for MOST is that there will be no middle ground.

I plan to pray HARD for indisputable success.  If that is not attainable, I'll settle for utter failure.

Bob