News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What has to happen for you to consider this a successful season?

Started by MightyGiants, September 03, 2024, 08:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

We have been given a preview of NYG through the preseason. Through that lens, what do you need to see this season to consider it successful?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Consistent and durable offensive play from Jones with minimal mistakes.

A swarming, suffocating defence.

Solid but not spectacular run game.

Wins are hard predict but if we see this, the wins ought to come.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on September 03, 2024, 09:25:40 AMConsistent and durable offensive play from Jones with minimal mistakes.

A swarming, suffocating defence.

Solid but not spectacular run game.

Wins are hard predict but if we see this, the wins ought to come.

Ed,

Based on Bowen's past defenses and from what he saw this preseason, I think he is more in the school of bend but don't break.  When that style is successful, opposing offenses will get some yardage (in small chunks) but will struggle to put up points on the board.

That said, we could see "swarming" in terms of the front four getting to opposing QBs in the form of Dex, Burns, and Thibs.  Ideally, we will also see the defense swarming to receivers after they catch short passes.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: VanPelt on September 03, 2024, 09:51:01 AMmaking the playoffs

I will say when I first saw the post, my thought was this was a bit of a reach after last season.  Then I considered this is Schoen's and Daboll's third year and I think it's more than reasonable to expect teams to make the playoffs if you have the right HC and GM combo running the team for three seasons, regardless of where they were in the beginning (and the roster was not devoid of talent as they inherited two of their top players in Thomas and Dex).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MrGap92

Improved OL Play

Solid performances from Defense and STs with the new coordinators.

Rookies, and second year players developing.

Playing hard, with heart all season.

Burns being as good as advertised.

Good or bad, a definitive decision made on Daniel Jones.

Bob In PA

This season will be all about Jones. If he succeeds, I don't see how the team can fail.

Success would be [at least] meaningful December games, 2nd-place in the division and a shot at the playoffs.

Obviously the "wrong" injuries at the wrong time could derail it all (the team still lacks optimal depth).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Here are mine:

DJ throws for 3,500+ yards with 27+ TDs.

OL gives up less than 50 sacks

2,000+ rushing yards combined among our running backs

D generates 40+ sacks

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

VanPelt

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 03, 2024, 09:54:36 AMI will say when I first saw the post, my thought was this was a bit of a reach after last season.  Then I considered this is Schoen's and Daboll's third year and I think it's more than reasonable to expect teams to make the playoffs if you have the right HC and GM combo running the team for three seasons, regardless of where they were in the beginning (and the roster was not devoid of talent as they inherited two of their top players in Thomas and Dex).

Yes. Schoen/Daboll have selected their $40M QB, and have drafted a #1 WR for him. Schoen/Daboll also let 2 of our best players move on (Barkley and McKinney) and re-invested $$ in the OL with veterans, again to support the QB and offense Finally they have now had 3 drafts to upgrade the talent and put their stamp on this team.

You may agree or disagree with these moves, that's really not my point. My point is its year 3 of their team now, and its time for them to turn the ship (or not). They don't get much more time (from any NFL team).

Painter

It's all about what the Giants FO and Owners will have decided at or before the end of this season regarding Daniel Jones. It's all about him. It's a Hobson's Choice- a take it or leave it.

Rather than conjecture about success or failure being measured in terms of a specific number of Wins and Losses with or without a PO game, DJ must be seen as THE reason why they Win and not THE reason why they lose. As he goes, so goes the season for all concerned.

Cheers!

Giant Jim

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 03, 2024, 09:31:04 AMEd,

Based on Bowen's past defenses and from what he saw this preseason, I think he is more in the school of bend but don't break.  When that style is successful, opposing offenses will get some yardage (in small chunks) but will struggle to put up points on the board.

I don't think "Bend, but don't break" is a style of defense, but an excuse to make a defense sound like it's doing OK. How is that successful? Wait for an interception? Find it easier to defend against the shorter field close to the goal line? Just give up a field goal?

"Bend, but don't break"-Either give up field goals or leave the offense in poor field position. Let's not forget, this offense needs all the help it can get.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Giant Jim on September 03, 2024, 02:14:16 PMI don't think "Bend, but don't break" is a style of defense, but an excuse to make a defense sound like it's doing OK. How is that successful? Wait for an interception? Find it easier to defend against the shorter field close to the goal line? Just give up a field goal?

"Bend, but don't break"-Either give up field goals or leave the offense in poor field position. Let's not forget, this offense needs all the help it can get.

The idea behind the bend but don't break is to not allow opposing offenses to get big chunk plays.  Most NFL offenses are challenged to string together 12 or 14 play drives to score.  All it takes is a holding penalty, a couple of incompletions or a stuffed run or two to end the drive without a score.

Wink sort of went the opposite approach.  He had all sorts of exotic blitzes and heavy pressures.   Those often came at the price of giving up big-chunk plays.

I guess another way to describe Bowen's defense is that it's not intended to fool opposing offenses.  Rather, it's a basic defense that counts on its simplicity to allow players to play faster (less thinking, more reacting).   It counts on the player more than the scheme to succeed.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

- Double-digit wins
- Score more points than they give up
- Jones in the top 12
- Offense in top 12
- Defense in top 10
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

Have more wins than losses.

Beat Dallas at least ONCE

Play a meaningful game deep into December
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss