News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Very Early 2025 Mock Draft

Started by WheresDayne, September 05, 2024, 06:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WheresDayne

Quote4. New York Giants: QB Shedeur Sanders, Colorado
4 of 32
BOULDER, COLORADO - AUGUST 29: Shedeur Sanders #2 of the Colorado Buffaloes warms up prior to the game against the North Dakota State Bison at Folsom Field on August 29, 2024 in Boulder, Colorado. (Photo by Andrew Wevers/Getty Images)
Andrew Wevers/Getty Images
As exciting as Shedeur Sanders was in his first season with the Colorado Buffaloes, the season fell apart and his play was questionable at times.

If his performance against North Dakota State is any indication, Sanders has put in the work and grown as a passer. His creativity and accuracy were already strengths. But he looked more comfortable working from the pocket. On multiple occasions, he didn't bail under pressure. Instead, he stared down the barrel, took a hit and still delivered a pinpoint pass.

As long as Sanders plays at the same level against better competition, he could eventually find himself in the conversation as a future No. 1 overall pick. In this case, the New York Giants upgrade at the game's most important position.

"The Giants have done a good job adding playmakers on the offensive side of the football for current starter Daniel Jones," Parson said. "However, it's difficult to envision him as their starter after the season.

"Sanders is accustomed to the bright lights and high expectations. He would bring stability to the QB position with his innate passing ability, whether kept clean or under pressure. Sanders possesses a good NFL-caliber arm with high-end accuracy and ball placement. His selection provides New York's top target Malik Nabers with a potential franchise quarterback who can pepper him with quality targets and maximize his star potential."

spiderblue43

Keep on eye on Jaxson Dart of Ole Miss too. He could really move up fast on the board. Everybody has seen Beck by now, and seems capable, but is he special?

Shedeur would be a game-changer in terms of his whole package, star  background, vibe etc. Let's just say a dramatic sea change at the position.

:boldblue:

VanPelt

I would take a bunch of QBs over Sanders. In no particular order Beck, Ewers, Dart, and Ward for starters. This will be a much better QB class than people were saying

MightyGiants

I hope NYG wins enough games and DJ plays well enough early to put an end to these types of threads.  It's a sad state of affairs that fans are already focusing on next year's draft before the season even starts
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

WheresDayne

I may be in the minority, but I have very low expectations for this upcoming season   :'(

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 05, 2024, 10:14:50 AMI hope NYG wins enough games and DJ plays well enough early to put an end to these types of threads.  It's a sad state of affairs that fans are already focusing on next year's draft before the season even starts
The Giants and Schoen are actively scouting this QB Class. Isn't Schoen weary of scouting QB's?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 05, 2024, 10:29:00 AMThe Giants and Schoen are actively scouting this QB Class. Isn't Schoen weary of scouting QB's?

Schoen has been doing that since he became the Giants' GM.  It's part of his job as GM.  Unless you have a young, healthy, proven franchise QB (and unless elite, under a cheap rookie contract), the GM needs to be scouting QBs. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 05, 2024, 10:31:36 AMSchoen has been doing that since he became the Giants' GM.  It's part of his job as GM.  Unless you have a young, healthy, proven franchise QB (and unless elite, under a cheap rookie contract), the GM needs to be scouting QBs. 
I'll be scouting QBs until DJ has proven that it's the right move to give him another year. If a GM truly has a Franchise QB, scouting QBs would be at the bottom of his list of priorities. Quite frankly, until he makes a statement that Daniel Jones is their QB and stops with the uncertainty and ambiguous statements, the fan base will not have any confidence in Daniel Jones as the QB of the future. I don't think there is a media outlet out there that hasn't put out articles about the 2025 QB Draft or Veterans like Dak Prescott and Cousins being a perfect fit for the Giants. The vibes from Hard Knocks alone underscore the lack of confidence in Jones. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

I have to say that I do have some reservations about his fastball at the next level. I reviewed that game film and he does a lot of things well. I liked how he set his base on some throws outside the pocket while scrambling, I like how fluid his motion was from set to the pass. I liked how he read the defense pre-snap and post-snap and hung in there taking some vicious hits. Unfortunately, the level of competition was subpar. I need to see a lot more of him against better competition, like Kansas St., Kansas, AZ, and Oklahoma St. He's never going to face the top teams and defenses out there. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 05, 2024, 10:31:36 AMSchoen has been doing that since he became the Giants' GM.  It's part of his job as GM.  Unless you have a young, healthy, proven franchise QB (and unless elite, under a cheap rookie contract), the GM needs to be scouting QBs. 
Agree 100%.  A smart GM keeps all their options open.  To your earlier post on this thread, the Giants can have a good year trade down to get their guy the way the Chiefs did

Jclayton92

Fully on board to take a shot every year at qb whether it's a 1st or 7th until the issue is resolved.

uconnjack8

Is NY a cold weather city?  Because Deion said he doesn't want him to play in a cold city.  Guessing the writer of this story knew that.

zephirus

I would literally have to relinquish my fandom of the Giants if they picked Shadeur Sanders.  While I don't want to make the son responsible for the sins of the father, his father is such an off-putting personality and blow-hard that I would throw up in my mouth with this selection.  Whatever team picks him needs to be prepared to see national news stories when Papa Sanders pops off in the media about how that team is wronging his son, or if they're winning how it's all because of his son. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 05, 2024, 10:46:12 AMI'll be scouting QBs until DJ has proven that it's the right move to give him another year. If a GM truly has a Franchise QB, scouting QBs would be at the bottom of his list of priorities. Quite frankly, until he makes a statement that Daniel Jones is their QB and stops with the uncertainty and ambiguous statements, the fan base will not have any confidence in Daniel Jones as the QB of the future. I don't think there is a media outlet out there that hasn't put out articles about the 2025 QB Draft or Veterans like Dak Prescott and Cousins being a perfect fit for the Giants. The vibes from Hard Knocks alone underscore the lack of confidence in Jones. 

I looked at two other Giants message boards and Reddit.  This forum is unique in terms of how much focus (multiple front-page threads) there is on next year's draft.  To me, that's giving up on the season before it even started, but to each their own.  I simply opinioned that the Giants do well enough to end the focus and put the focus back on the team and the season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: WheresDayne on September 05, 2024, 10:24:07 AMI may be in the minority, but I have very low expectations for this upcoming season   :'(

I doubt you're in the minority. The Vegas over/under for wins is 6.5. That doesn't indicate that there is a great deal of optimism out there.

Unless you meant the minority in this forum, and even then I'm not sure that's the case. People were believers last summer. This year I wouldn't say there is tons of optimism here. Not based on my observations, at least.