News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Very Early 2025 Mock Draft

Started by WheresDayne, September 05, 2024, 06:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSUBeirut

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 05, 2024, 01:57:36 PMI looked at two other Giants message boards and Reddit.  This forum is unique in terms of how much focus (multiple front-page threads) there is on next year's draft.  To me, that's giving up on the season before it even started, but to each their own.  I simply opinioned that the Giants do well enough to end the focus and put the focus back on the team and the season.

See I look at it on the flipside- there is no doubt in my mind that this board is frequented by the most knowledgeable Giants fans on the Internet, perhaps even the planet itself =).  So if this board of very smart Giants fans deem a topic more worthy of discussion than other places, to me that indicates it's likely a worthy topic.  That being said, I hope and pray also that DJ and the entire team turns this nonsense around and puts the draft way to the back of our minds....finally.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on September 05, 2024, 07:20:13 PMSee I look at it on the flipside- there is no doubt in my mind that this board is frequented by the most knowledgeable Giants fans on the Internet, perhaps even the planet itself =).  So if this board of very smart Giants fans deem a topic more worthy of discussion than other places, to me that indicates it's likely a worthy topic.  That being said, I hope and pray also that DJ and the entire team turns this nonsense around and puts the draft way to the back of our minds....finally.

Well said.

I would add to this that a thread is kind of a democratic process in a way. If a thread is of poor quality, it won't get much traction on this board (assuming this board is of the standard we all feel it is), and it will basically disappear into the ether.

The only exception to the above is when a thread gets heated and goes off the rails with disrespectful or irrational comments, but that's not the case with this one. Plus those threads end up getting locked anyway.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 05, 2024, 07:49:21 PMWell said.

I would add to this that a thread is kind of a democratic process in a way. If a thread is of poor quality, it won't get much traction on this board (assuming this board is of the standard we all feel it is), and it will basically disappear into the ether.

The only exception to the above is when a thread gets heated and goes off the rails with disrespectful or irrational comments, but that's not the case with this one. Plus those threads end up getting locked anyway.

Jeff,

I have to disagree with the idea that quality is what keeps threads up at the top of the board.  Remember Bluescruz?  His embarrassingly bad threads had a bad habit of staying at the top of the board for days.  As someone who has studied the dynamics of message boards for around 2 decades, I know there are many different reasons for a thread to rise.    Sometimes it's because a person takes the shock jock or troll method of saying something outrageous.  Sometimes, a topic can be popular with only a small number of members, but those members are passionate about the topic.   There are times, as you say when a thread is a quality, and that causes it to stay near the top, although from what I observe, popularity tends to be more of a driver than quality.  Oddly enough, many quality threads sink. 

The reality is that the average person seems to enjoy disagreeing or correcting more than agreeing or praising. This is why many quality, well-thought-out posts don't have staying power in this message board format.   I will add that questions often have staying power.  You ask people's thoughts or opinions or beliefs, and that will spark responses and discussion.

Of course, you added another thing that will keep a thread near the top, and that's an argument between two or most posters.   At this point in my life, when I put up a thread, I have a pretty good idea of how much of a response it will get.  There is the occasional surprise, but I usually have a pretty good idea for most posts. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE