News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is Mahomes on his way to becoming the GOAT?

Started by LennG, September 06, 2024, 07:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I know Tom Brady has a huge lead on him, but this is his eighth year, I believe, and look what he has already accomplished. It sure looks like, barring any major injury, he will overtake Brady by the time he is done.

I don't know, as much as I disliked Brady there is something about Mahomes that makes me dislike him more.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: LennG on September 06, 2024, 07:07:14 PMI know Tom Brady has a huge lead on him, but this is his eighth year, I believe, and look what he has already accomplished. It sure looks like, barring any major injury, he will overtake Brady by the time he is done.

I don't know, as much as I disliked Brady there is something about Mahomes that makes me dislike him more.

Brady's longevity, Superbowl success, and performance at advanced (for the NFL) ages will be difficult for anyone to match. Mahomes has a shot, though, which is impressive enough in itself.

kingm56

If KC wins a third-straight SB, absolutely.  The NFL is the last major sport that doesn't have a three-peat champion. 

Ed Vette

Lenn, if you had to pick a QB to win a game where your life depended on it, who would you choose?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Brady won three championships very quickly, but he didn't dominate statistically early in his career the way Mahomes has. To be fair however, if you remember those early Pats teams, they had a bunch of mediocre players on offense. Brady's receivers back then were guys like David Givens, Deion Branch, Troy Brown, David Patten, etc. Not exactly Hill and Kelce.

As stated earlier in this post, a big part of Brady's legacy was his ability to remain great for as long as he did. When both he and Peyton Manning were in their primes, there was an active debate about who was better. Brady sort of pulled away with the GOAT thing when Peyton retired and Brady kept going and winning more championships, including for another franchise.

When I watch Mahomes I am reminded more of a young Aaron Rodgers than anyone else. As far as I am concerned, that's a major compliment, because whatever anyone thinks of Rodgers personally (which is a totally separate conversation), in his prime, he was able to do things on the field that nobody else could do, including Brady. That is sort of how I view Mahomes right now. If he is able to stay healthy and play for a very long time, I think he has a chance to be considered the GOAT. That IF is a big one though. It's not easy to do.

ralphpal1

I am not sure anyone standing in the way of mahomes to go to the next 6 superbowls
Where Brady had to go against manning ( I guess both)
The raven and falco.always played them tough
Mahomes has Noone or no team in his way
Burrow gets hurt too much
Just think the 49ers lost both superbowls cause the QB couldn't compete a pass

sooners56

As long as the Chiefs Defense remains as dominate as they have been, Mahomes has a chance at Super Bowls. Given a long career he can definitely catch up to Brady.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

AZGiantFan

I dunno if he'll be the GOAT, but you can see the seeds here of what he would become.  I'm puzzled that he was only a 3* recruit.

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Gman329

Brady never played on a bad team, never played with anything but a great offensive line.  He sat back there in a clean pocket and usually threw to wide open receivers. There is NO WAY he would have won a Super Bowl with KC last year, for instance.  Patrick Mahomes is the best I ever saw.

Jolly Blue Giant

Hard to speculate. With the cap rules put in to try to get parity, KC is going to lose players (top shelf guys) because they won't be able to keep them all...not to mention, they are usually drafting at the last spot in each round after the jewels have been picked clean by losing teams. And to maintain their dominance, they are going to have to make unbelievably good decisions to balance cap and complimentary players to Mahomes

Brady had a good line to protect him, but he always had one receiver who became his go to guy (Wes Walker, Julian Edelman, Randy Moss, Ben Watson, and of course, the "Gronk"). And as Eli said the other day, a reliable TE is the best friend of any QB because they are typically open and a mismatch in the middle.

Final thought: If anyone can surpass Brady, it's probably Mahomes
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

kingm56

Quote from: Gman329 on September 07, 2024, 10:17:03 AMBrady never played on a bad team, never played with anything but a great offensive line.  He sat back there in a clean pocket and usually threw to wide open receivers. There is NO WAY he would have won a Super Bowl with KC last year, for instance.  Patrick Mahomes is the best I ever saw.

I posted this before:

It's complete myth Tom Brady enjoyed top-tier protection throughout his career.  In 2014, 15 and 16, his o-lines were bad...REAL BAD.  During that span, he continued to play at an AP/MVP level.  Great QBs are great QBs, independent of thier oline.

PFF exerts:

2014:
23. New England Patriots
Pass Blocking Ranking: 31st, Run Blocking Ranking: 8th, Penalties Ranking: 19th

2015:
25. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Pass-blocking rank: 31st

Run-blocking rank: 12th

Penalties rank: 15th

Summary: The good news is that, where they struggle (pass protection), they have a quarterback good enough to overcome it. But it was still so bad that you wonder how much easier (and better) life for Tom Brady could have been with better protection.

PSUBeirut

I think the answer is pretty straightforward- Absolutely he's on the way.  Longevity will be the key.