News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I HATE international games. Am I wrong?

Started by brownelvis54, September 07, 2024, 01:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like international football games?

brownelvis54

I don't like throwback jerseys, but I get it. Sales, revenue for teams. These teams are worth billions. The Dallas Cowboys are worth 9 billion and the lowest team Cincinnati Bengals are worth a measly 4.1 billion. Parking prices at stadiums are high, $20 bucks for a beer, $ 12 bucks for a hotdog, NFL already putting games all over various streaming sites, that alienate a segment of fans. But when is enough.....enough?

Last night's game was only on Peacock streaming service. I have it, watched it and hated it. The playing conditions were horrible. Players slipping and sliding everywhere. The TV audio was poor, with a constant echo, sounded like the announcers were in a tunnel. At times sound like two different audio feeds at the exact same time. The fans at the stadium were rooting, but didn't seem like true fans of either team...more like just loving being at an American event, and I get that part, must have been amazing to see a huge American sport in their stadium.

The point is: The NFL is the most profitable sports organization in the world. This is such greed.  What's wrong with keeping football as an American game?  Additionally, it's unfair to the cities of the designated home team because the local businesses are missing out on the revenue they receive.

And what about the FANS? Unfair to move something that the fans in these NFL cities helped support and buy going to the games and buying the merchandise and then move games elsewhere.

Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

And by the way, the NFL is planning 7 internation games in 2025 AND looking to expand that numbers in the following years

NFL eyeing a return trip to Brazil in 2025 as part of seven international games that will be played

During an interview with Pat McAfee this week, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that the league will be looking to play seven international games in 2025.

"We think we'll be seven next year, we're already going to Spain next year, we'll be back in Mexico, I hope, by next year," Goodell said. "So we're really excited where the future is for us on an international basis."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-eyeing-a-return-trip-to-brazil-in-2025-as-part-of-seven-international-games-that-will-be-played/
The KING is in the building

Jolly Blue Giant

I like the games in Europe, but the broadcasting in that game last night was plain awful...or maybe it has something to do with my disgust of the Eagles  :sick:

Brazil is only about soccer...waste of time to get them interested in a sport from the U.S. England and Germany seems to have really taken a shine to our game... Australia too (I think  :-?? )
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

DaveBrown74

I don't like them, but I understand why the NFL is doing it. They're trying to build their global brand and boost interest in the sport in other countries, clearly. When you look at how some other American sports have boomed in other parts of the world (see baseball in Japan and Latin America, basketball throughout Europe and even in parts of Asia, etc), you can understand the NFL trying to emulate some of that.

The games are annoying though, and they make an already grueling, difficult season even harder for the teams. I'd love it if they didn't exist.

But I guess on a certain level, as a football enthusiast, I can't say I'm against the sport gaining more of a footprint globally. If having these international games is going to ultimately lead to the growth of the sport in other regions, you could argue that that will improve the product on the NFL field over the longer haul. Look at the impact international players have had on other American sports leagues like MLB and NBA. Are guys like Ohtani and Jokic bad for MLB and the NBA? Of course not. So could the NFL benefit say 10-20 years from now by having more international stars? I don't see why not.

Ed Vette

Interesting how they all sing their National Anthems. As for the broadcasts, too many closeups instead of showing the field of play. Tough to pick up the Defensive Coverages in that split second before the snap.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 07, 2024, 01:52:06 PMI don't like them, but I understand why the NFL is doing it. They're trying to build their global brand and boost interest in the sport in other countries, clearly. When you look at how some other American sports have boomed in other parts of the world (see baseball in Japan and Latin America, basketball throughout Europe and even in parts of Asia, etc), you can understand the NFL trying to emulate some of that.

The games are annoying though, and they make an already grueling, difficult season even harder for the teams. I'd love it if they didn't exist.

But I guess on a certain level, as a football enthusiast, I can't say I'm against the sport gaining more of a footprint globally. If having these international games is going to ultimately lead to the growth of the sport in other regions, you could argue that that will improve the product on the NFL field over the longer haul. Look at the impact international players have had on other American sports leagues like MLB and NBA. Are guys like Ohtani and Jokic bad for MLB and the NBA? Of course not. So could the NFL benefit say 10-20 years from now by having more international stars? I don't see why not.

Spot on, Jeff!  It just makes it hard to consume football; as husband and father, I'm not going to devote multiple days a week to football.  That's just not fair to the family.  The NFL wants you to spend, Sunday, Monday, Thursday, and Friday to watch football.  That's just too much...

brownelvis54

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 07, 2024, 01:50:50 PMI like the games in Europe, but the broadcasting in that game last night was plain awful...or maybe it has something to do with my disgust of the Eagles  :sick:

Brazil is only about soccer...waste of time to get them interested in a sport from the U.S. England and Germany seems to have really taken a shine to our game... Australia too (I think  :-?? )

This was punishment for these players with long flights and for one team this is considered a home game, so their fans get 8 games instead of 9. It's a novelty internationally and has gained no traction even after all these years...time to cut bait and end this. Again, one team forfeited a home game, and these are both teams with LONG term roots in their communities with diehard fanbases.
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on September 07, 2024, 01:54:07 PMSpot on, Jeff!  It just makes it hard to consume football; as husband and father, I'm not going to devote multiple days a week to football.  That's just not fair to the family.  The NFL wants you to spend, Sunday, Monday, Thursday, and Friday to watch football.  That's just too much...

I totally agree with this point Matt. Football should never come before family, and I don't love that the NFL is spreading out to more and more days of the week either.

However, as far as London and other Europe games (eg Munich) go, they tend to be on Sunday mornings. This push to other days of the week seems to not only be because of the desire to have more international games. Thursday night games are never international. Last night was the first time I can recall a night international game. I think it may have been the first Friday night game too.

TDToomer

Yes you are wrong and sound like a curmudgeon. Why are there so many rigid grumpy old men on this forum?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kingm56

Quote from: TDToomer on September 07, 2024, 04:11:03 PMYes you are wrong and sound like a curmudgeon. Why are there so many rigid grumpy old men on this forum?

I wonder if you can spot the irony here?

DragonSoul

I think getting the game out to the world like soccer and basketball as an example is great for the sport, as long as my team doesn't have to go lol.

DragonSoul

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 07, 2024, 02:30:46 PMI totally agree with this point Matt. Football should never come before family, and I don't love that the NFL is spreading out to more and more days of the week either.

However, as far as London and other Europe games (eg Munich) go, they tend to be on Sunday mornings. This push to other days of the week seems to not only be because of the desire to have more international games. Thursday night games are never international. Last night was the first time I can recall a night international game. I think it may have been the first Friday night game too.

Over-saturation can be a problem. But their games in UK and Germany are on Sunday just a few hours earlier, which isn't bad, but having them on so many days, I agree can be a bit much.

Normally I only care about my team and watch them. If there happens to be another game worthy to watch or impacts my team I may then watch, but otherwise, watching all the games to me isn't a big deal.

I use to have Sunday ticket and watch as many of the games I could, but that is done. I may have to still get Sunday ticket just to watch the Giants, seeing as I moved to Florida nearly two year ago. Luckily (even though they were bad) last year, they were on local tv for about 8-10 games for me.

coggs

Quote from: kingm56 on September 07, 2024, 01:54:07 PMSpot on, Jeff!  It just makes it hard to consume football; as husband and father, I'm not going to devote multiple days a week to football.  That's just not fair to the family.  The NFL wants you to spend, Sunday, Monday, Thursday, and Friday to watch football.  That's just too much...
You are not required to watch every day/night. 

coggs

Quote from: brownelvis54 on September 07, 2024, 01:38:51 PMI don't like throwback jerseys, but I get it. Sales, revenue for teams. These teams are worth billions. The Dallas Cowboys are worth 9 billion and the lowest team Cincinnati Bengals are worth a measly 4.1 billion. Parking prices at stadiums are high, $20 bucks for a beer, $ 12 bucks for a hotdog, NFL already putting games all over various streaming sites, that alienate a segment of fans. But when is enough.....enough?

Last night's game was only on Peacock streaming service. I have it, watched it and hated it. The playing conditions were horrible. Players slipping and sliding everywhere. The TV audio was poor, with a constant echo, sounded like the announcers were in a tunnel. At times sound like two different audio feeds at the exact same time. The fans at the stadium were rooting, but didn't seem like true fans of either team...more like just loving being at an American event, and I get that part, must have been amazing to see a huge American sport in their stadium.

The point is: The NFL is the most profitable sports organization in the world. This is such greed.  What's wrong with keeping football as an American game?  Additionally, it's unfair to the cities of the designated home team because the local businesses are missing out on the revenue they receive.

And what about the FANS? Unfair to move something that the fans in these NFL cities helped support and buy going to the games and buying the merchandise and then move games elsewhere.

Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

And by the way, the NFL is planning 7 internation games in 2025 AND looking to expand that numbers in the following years

NFL eyeing a return trip to Brazil in 2025 as part of seven international games that will be played

During an interview with Pat McAfee this week, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that the league will be looking to play seven international games in 2025.

"We think we'll be seven next year, we're already going to Spain next year, we'll be back in Mexico, I hope, by next year," Goodell said. "So we're really excited where the future is for us on an international basis."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-eyeing-a-return-trip-to-brazil-in-2025-as-part-of-seven-international-games-that-will-be-played/
You did not have to watch last night.  You dont have to watch the 7 games in 2025.  Don't really care about Eagles fans losing a home game.  Their season ticket holders did not have to pay for the game.

kingm56

Quote from: coggs on September 07, 2024, 07:41:48 PMYou are not required to watch every day/night. 

Thank you for giving me a pass, Capt Obvious. 

kartanoman

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 07, 2024, 01:50:50 PMI like the games in Europe, but the broadcasting in that game last night was plain awful...or maybe it has something to do with my disgust of the Eagles  :sick:

Yes, Australia plays "gridiron" in several small leagues under the governing entity "Gridiron Australia."

Currently, Australia is in the running to host an NFL match for the 2025 season. If chosen, the match will likely be played at the footy (i.e. Australian Football) mecca, the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)