News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Yes, another Daniel Jones thread

Started by DaveBrown74, September 08, 2024, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giantleap56

Jones isn't good. But coach is as bad or worse. The team is literally playing with a high school playbook. Remember it was Kafka who got the team to the playoffs and Wink who called the defense. Now that Dabol is calling the plays you are finding out how bad he is. Absolute trash of a coach. Ran another country club training camp. Awful.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giantleap56 on September 08, 2024, 04:16:59 PMJones isn't good. But coach is as bad or worse. The team is literally playing with a high school playbook. Remember it was Kafka who got the team to the playoffs and Wink who called the defense. Now that Dabol is calling the plays you are finding out how bad he is. Absolute trash of a coach. Ran another country club training camp. Awful.

Don't worry. Jones (and others on this roster) will get the coach fired, if he's really your primary concern.

Messiah717

Quote from: Giantleap56 on September 08, 2024, 04:16:59 PMJones isn't good. But coach is as bad or worse. The team is literally playing with a high school playbook. Remember it was Kafka who got the team to the playoffs and Wink who called the defense. Now that Dabol is calling the plays you are finding out how bad he is. Absolute trash of a coach. Ran another country club training camp. Awful.

He's a low life piece of garbage who will be gone soon enough.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MagicRat on September 08, 2024, 04:13:21 PMSo, season after next then?
Gotcha!

Pff, another 2-3 years at least. Clearly he's just being held back by a third coach. Bring in a new one to tap into the 6 year vets potential.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Messiah717 on September 08, 2024, 04:19:32 PMHe's a low life piece of garbage who will be gone soon enough.
Flores was really enjoying his revenge game. I often wonder if he would've been the better choice to pair with Schoen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

shadowspinner0

What was it about Jones that many fans continued to defend the guy? What did they see that I and many others didn't?  OL while still not great, was better, supposed better weapons, yet still can't score a TD. So what is it? 

Trench

Quote from: Messiah717 on September 08, 2024, 04:08:57 PMLook, you had two guys come in last year after the Jones injury and move the ball better than he ever could.  That should told the definitive story regarding Jones.  Today was just a complete and utter embarrassment at the QB position.

This is something I posted about last year and some people went after me hard and gave excuses why what my eyes saw was somehow not real.

Put Devito in with the starters. Unless doing so will expose our decision makers for what they are

Trench

Quote from: shadowspinner0 on September 08, 2024, 04:26:59 PMWhat was it about Jones that many fans continued to defend the guy? What did they see that I and many others didn't?  OL while still not great, was better, supposed better weapons, yet still can't score a TD. So what is it? 

Stats. Remember we were told stats don't lie.

kingm56

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on September 08, 2024, 04:11:36 PMCan't judge him until we have 5 Pro-Bowl offensive lineman and the Giants get a time machine and sign prime Jerry Rice. Just not fair to him otherwise.

Don't forget the third piece...a HOF coach :).

To be clear, I don't think DJ will be as bad for the rest of the season; he'll improve with playing time.  However, the problem is the same it's always been, his ceiling is limited and not good enough to compete with the best teams/QBs in the FNL. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on September 08, 2024, 04:32:17 PMDon't forget the third piece...a HOF coach :).

To be clear, I don't think DJ will be as bad for the rest of the season; he'll improve with playing time.  However, the problem is the same it's always been, his ceiling is limited and not good enough to compete with the best teams/QBs in the FNL. 

I tend to agree although I'm no longer positive about this anymore. I have been saying all offseason that I firmly believe he is not nearly as bad a QB as what we saw from him last year, but he looked bad for large chunks of camp as well as in the preseason game he played in (until starters on the opposing D were removed). Then he puts up this dud today. At some point, very simply, you are what your results say you are.

I agree that he probably won't be as bad as he was today moving forward because that's literally almost impossible (this had to be one of his three worst games as a pro), but I struggle to see him ever getting to a point where he consistently plays at a level any fan with standards would be happy with. We're in year six and we all saw what happened today. And we all saw his play last year before the injury. It is very clear he is not a starting caliber NFL QB. I don't know why this is so controversial.

The constant practice of blaming other factors and hoping he'll get better is sinking this franchise. It really has to stop. Go sign someone off the street and let him hold a clipboard. Or play DeVito. It has gone far enough. That was an unconscionable abomination today and there is no excuse whatsoever.

BlueMoshik

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 08, 2024, 04:22:06 PMFlores was really enjoying his revenge game. I often wonder if he would've been the better choice to pair with Schoen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
His lawsuit wasn't frivolous. He probably knew very well that he was a better candidate than Daboll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katkavage

I repeat, this goes beyond Jones. This is not a talented roster. Take off your Giant glasses and you will recognize that. They have one elite player #97. They have a top ten left tackle. They have a real good kicker. The rest aren't close to pro bowl potential. And the QB has never shown that he can be an elite, much less franchise QB. He just doesn't have the instincts it takes to get to that level. Never has. And when I say it goes beyond the QB, I'm looking at the head coach. He was blessed with some lucky wins in 2022 that painted a better picture than what is real. He never has been a head coach and that shows here. His teams since that good start in 2022 just are not prepared as they should. I'm also looking at the GM who has not drafted well so far. And has stuck with the QB who will take them nowhere. He also hired the head coach (along with the clueless owner). So he owns that as well. Jones is no good, but he's not the only one.

katkavage

Quote from: BlueMoshik on September 08, 2024, 04:40:18 PMHis lawsuit wasn't frivolous. He probably knew very well that he was a better candidate than Daboll.

Quote from: BlueMoshik on September 08, 2024, 04:40:18 PMHis lawsuit wasn't frivolous. He probably knew very well that he was a better candidate than Daboll.

Flores won in Miami with questionable talent. He had experience as a head coach. They went with one of the hot coordinators instead who had no experience as a head coach. Flores would have been better and was my choice at the time.

Jclayton92

Jones has never been the guy, glad others are coming around.

kingm56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 04:39:30 PMI tend to agree although I'm no longer positive about this anymore. I have been saying all offseason that I firmly believe he is not nearly as bad a QB as what we saw from him last year, but he looked bad for large chunks of camp as well as in the preseason game he played in (until starters on the opposing D were removed). Then he puts up this dud today. At some point, very simply, you are what your results say you are.

I agree that he probably won't be as bad as he was today moving forward because that's literally almost impossible (this had to be one of his three worst games as a pro), but I struggle to see him ever getting to a point where he consistently plays at a level any fan with standards would be happy with. We're in year six and we all saw what happened today. And we all saw his play last year before the injury. It is very clear he is not a starting caliber NFL QB. I don't know why this is so controversial.

The constant practice of blaming other factors and hoping he'll get better is sinking this franchise. It really has to stop. Go sign someone off the street and let him hold a clipboard. Or play DeVito. It has gone far enough. That was an unconscionable abomination today and there is no excuse whatsoever.

I hear you, Jeff.  Putting blame on the coaching is getting old.  The notion that our 4 HC and 5 OC is going to correct the problem mystifies me.