News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Yes, another Daniel Jones thread

Started by DaveBrown74, September 08, 2024, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messiah717

They're paying him $40 million and that's the only reason he's still going to be thrown out there.  Outside of that there's no universe where you have Barkley leave and think you're rebuilding anything with Daniel Jones as the QB in 2025.  You're better off even bringing in a stop gap veteran that will atleast help the guys you do have grow. 

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on September 08, 2024, 04:32:17 PMDon't forget the third piece...a HOF coach :).

To be clear, I don't think DJ will be as bad for the rest of the season; he'll improve with playing time.  However, the problem is the same it's always been, his ceiling is limited and not good enough to compete with the best teams/QBs in the FNL.
I used to believe that about Jones. In my mind it was about the interior OL crumbling that blew up his rhythm and caused him to overthink in the pocket.

Today it was clear that it was all about him. He processes way too slow and unfortunately he's too far along in his career to fix that.

IMHO he's done. If Daboll doesn't move on, he'll eventually lose the locker room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Trench

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 08, 2024, 06:20:18 PMI used to believe that about Jones. In my mind it was about the interior OL crumbling that blew up his rhythm and caused him to overthink in the pocket.

Today it was clear that it was all about him. He processes way too slow and unfortunately he's too far along in his career to fix that.

IMHO he's done. If Daboll doesn't move on, he'll eventually lose the locker room.

This is an excellent point regarding the locker room. Some players had quotes post game which were not very reassuring. Daboll also. Mara always says if u lose the locker room or the players don't play hard then it's time for a change.

This was a tough one today. Seeing LT, Simms, Eli, Coughlin, Carson, Bavaro all together and putting forth this type performance hurt bad. Daboll also had a horrendous game as OC. I wanna root for Jones I do. But he stinks. And he is a block head because he never learns. Still I see him running and taking head first hits. Then I see him throw a ball to a receiver at line of scrimmage while he is on the run (instead of tossing it out of bounds). He locks on everyone. The defender who scored the interception TD said he knew what Jines was gonna do ahead of time and watch the tape he is locked on!...he has been given all the support in the world. He just isn't able to handle it.

Lastly, I'd like to point out something that made me uncomfortable (not sure if this was spoken about or not yet)....it appeared to me our line wasn't in synch with his voice and to the naked eye, they didn't move in unison with him. Some jumped quicker than others. Probably a result of not being together enough but it really was noticeable to me. Not that it's the end of the world but it just seemed so rushed and helter skelter.

kingm56

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 08, 2024, 06:20:18 PMToday it was clear that it was all about him. He processes way too slow and unfortunately he's too far along in his career to fix that.

I've been saying this for 4 years; DJ hinders the Oline as much as the Oline hinders DJ.  He's never been a plus passer, at any level; so, the notion that can he magically become one through the miracle of coaching and/or system changes, always seemed farfetched to me.  However, today was absolutely horrific QB play; some of the worst I've ever witnessed...I don't think he'll be that bad after a few games.  Although, he's been terrible for about 6 games now?  Minus 2 qtrs of course.

Elsewhere, J Daniels is starting to heat up and looks like a quality NFL QB....

T200

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 08, 2024, 06:20:18 PMIMHO he's done. If Daboll doesn't move on, he'll eventually lose the locker room.

Move on in what way?

Lock is worse than Jones. They're not going to carry three QBs on the active roster. Jones or Lock would have to go on IR for DeVito to get another shot.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: T200 on September 08, 2024, 07:34:13 PMMove on in what way?

Lock is worse than Jones. They're not going to carry three QBs on the active roster. Jones or Lock would have to go on IR for DeVito to get another shot.
Make Lock the starter or pick-up Tannehill and start him. Jones should not start again.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 08, 2024, 07:36:16 PMMake Lock the starter or pick-up Tannehill and start him. Jones should not start again.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't start next week. You have to remember, these coaches and GMs are often guided not just by what the best decision is but also by what makes them look the least bad. Obviously if they start him and he sucks again that's not a great look, but benching a guy that you paid all this money to and didn't upgrade in the offseason (I realize they tried to move up, but in the end they didn't nor did they draft anyone else or sign anyone else) after week one makes you look like you're in over your head.

Jones will definitely start next week, barring a mid-week practice injury or something. If he is as bad as he was today, then I think you'll start to hear rumblings.

I won't be shocked if the Giants look into Tannehill though. Devito didn't exactly look that great in the preseason. He showed he can be a game manager emergency backup type, but he's not more than that. With Tannehill you're getting a guy who has a lot of experience and has been on some good teams and led a team to a conference championship game. I'm actually surprised he's not even a backup somewhere. If he's physically ok I think the Giants should look into him. What's the downside exactly?

T200

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 08, 2024, 07:36:16 PMMake Lock the starter or pick-up Tannehill and start him. Jones should not start again.

I'd rather suffer with Jones than Lock. We'll see what Schoen does after next week's game.

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on September 08, 2024, 07:48:52 PMI'd rather suffer with Jones than Lock. We'll see what Schoen does after next week's game.

Same, Tim. I do think if DJ has another bad game, his 8th straight (minus 2 Qtrs), they'll pull him the following week. 

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 07:48:49 PMI'll be shocked if he doesn't start next week. You have to remember, these coaches and GMs are often guided not just by what the best decision is but also by what makes them look the least bad. Obviously if they start him and he sucks again that's not a great look, but benching a guy that you paid all this money too and didn't upgrade in the offseason (I realize they tried to move up, but in the end they didn't nor did they draft anyone else or sign anyone else) after week one makes you look like you're in over your head.

Jones will definitely start next week, barring a mid-week practice injury or something. If he is as bad as he was today, then I think you'll start to hear rumblings.

I won't be shocked if the Giants look into Tannehill though. Devito didn't exactly look that great in the preseason. He showed he can be a game manager emergency backup type, but he's not more than that. With Tannehill you're getting a guy who has a lot of experience and has been on some good teams and led a team to a conference championship game. I'm actually surprised he's not even a backup somewhere. If he's physically ok I think the Giants should look into him. What's the downside exactly?

Agree with a lot of this but I think they will always give the usual 4 weeks before changing anything dramatically. Regarding Devito, I agree he isn't the answer BUt to be fair he didn't have the luxury of plying with starters this preseason.

I'm actually more concerned with Daboll. He seems uncomfortable and his play calling was vanilla. I'm very concerned about him and the locker room. There is also something obviously going on with Hyatt!!...that guy showed himself last year.

brownelvis54

Quote from: T200 on September 08, 2024, 07:34:13 PMMove on in what way?

Exactly. Stick with Jones. No choice. Lock is terrible. Like I said awhile back, lets get Sam Darnold and a lot here didnt like the idea. He looked good to me today
The KING is in the building

T200

Quote from: kingm56 on September 08, 2024, 07:52:58 PMSame, Tim. I do think if DJ has another bad game, his 8th straight (minus 2 Qtrs), they'll pull him the following week. 
I think Daboll did Jones and the offense a disservice by not playing them at least a half in the last two preseason games. It shows he didn't learn from last year.

I can see them giving Jones 3-4 games to get comfortable. If he sucks ass next week, I think Schoen will look to Tannehill or another veteran to bring in. They'll have to cut Lock and eat his salary for the year. I'd be OK with that.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on September 08, 2024, 07:53:19 PMAgree with a lot of this but I think they will always give the usual 4 weeks before changing anything dramatically. Regarding Devito, I agree he isn't the answer BUt to be fair he didn't have the luxury of plying with starters this preseason.

Good point on Devito Trench, and fair enough.

Look, Devito went 3-3 on a Giants team that was 3-8 without him last year, and he put up an 89 rating. While none of that is great, I think we'd all kill for that level of competence right now.

I just want reasonably competent QB play at this point. I don't care who it comes from. I'd like for it to come from Jones, since we're paying very dearly for his services, but I want it to come from someone. If Jones can't do it then give someone else a shot. I want a product I can watch.

I feel we have endured dismal QB play for way too long, including pre-Jones as Eli's last couple years were not pretty either. It needs to change. It needs to change in the worst way. Watching performances like today is like getting a root canal.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 08:00:09 PMGood point on Devito Trench, and fair enough.

Look, Devito went 3-3 on a Giants team that was 3-8 without him last year, and he put up an 89 rating. While none of that is great, I think we'd all kill for that level of competence right now.

I just want reasonably competent QB play at this point. I don't care who it comes from. I'd like for it to come from Jones, since we're paying very dearly for his services, but I want it to come from someone. If Jones can't do it then give someone else a shot. I want a product I can watch.

I feel we have endured dismal QB play for way too long, including pre-Jones as Eli's last couple years were not pretty either. It needs to change. It needs to change in the worst way. Watching performances like today is like getting a root canal.

Yup. Maybe Devito gives us something to root for as a local fella. He plays with more passion than jones in any event.

TONKA56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 08, 2024, 04:43:13 PMJones has never been the guy, glad others are coming around.

Unfortunately Jones is a symptom, not the "real" problem.