News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Yes, another Daniel Jones thread

Started by DaveBrown74, September 08, 2024, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TONKA56 on September 08, 2024, 08:05:26 PMUnfortunately Jones is a symptom, not the "real" problem.

Can you explain this further?

quacker

Quote from: Messiah717 on September 08, 2024, 03:58:55 PMI'm pretty sure everyone feels the same way at this point.  Daniel Jones is just the greatest example of the total ineptitude of this franchise.  Another brutal season of losing coming up with a shiny new WR piece to replace the shiny RB piece that now plays for the Eagles.
So will Nabers become this draft's Saquon? A talent that will whither due to the ineptitude of the Giants?

gregf

Been on Giants message boards since 06.  I don't think I've ever seen near 100% on a problem.   I feared this might happen, but I hoped for good play from Jones. This was Dave Brown bad.   It's 100% clear to me and most here it's time to find the future QB for the Gmen.   Play hard, but whatever the record finishes, we need to sell out to grab a top 3 or 4 QB next draft- as of now it looks like we will finish bottom 5 anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 03:56:03 PMHe plays the most important position on the Giants, and this is a Giants fan board. And his level of play today is worth talking about, so I think it's justified to start one.

This was an absolute calamity today. I'd like to hear if anyone has any other take other than that Jones was simply awful beyond belief. And unlike last year in week one, this was against a totally manageable, non playoff opponent.

My personal opinion is that this nightmare needs to end. I know they won't bench Jones after this week, but I would seriously consider it if I were these guys. Is Jones definitely better than some of these QBs out there on the street? Have Tannehill or Wentz been signed? I bet there are multiple others that can do a better job than this.

I understand that some will call this a week one overreaction, but the fact that it's only week one is sort of my point. Why let this snowball to 1-5 or 1-7 before making a change? How much more of this are they going to subject the fans to?

Is anyone seeing it differently? Is there any reason I'm missing to expect him to suddenly start playing better?

As I said in the other thread, I am done with him.  Not sure benching him will matter.  Lock and DeVito are terrible.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: quacker on September 08, 2024, 08:12:36 PMSo will Nabers become this draft's Saquon? A talent that will whither due to the ineptitude of the Giants?

Saquon had his best year ever as a Giant as a rookie. Had about 2k scrimmage yards and won OROY. If Nabers wants to do something like that he's more than welcome.

T200

He's coming for ya, Dabs!

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on September 08, 2024, 08:29:48 PMAs I said in the other thread, I am done with him.  Not sure benching him will matter.  Lock and DeVito are terrible.

Devito's play last year was world's better than what we saw from Jones today. It was also significantly better than what Jones did last year too.

I'm not suggesting that any of the alternatives to Jones presently on the roster are good, or even decent. But if what we saw today is repeated next week, they may be better than the present option.

Jones should be played as long as the coaches believe he gives the team the best chance to win the next game. Right now, and based on what we saw last year, and based on what we saw at times in camp as well as in the preseason game against the Texans' starters, it's simply not clear that that's the case.

kartanoman

Quote from: Trench on September 08, 2024, 06:30:51 PMThis is an excellent point regarding the locker room. Some players had quotes post game which were not very reassuring. Daboll also. Mara always says if u lose the locker room or the players don't play hard then it's time for a change.

This was a tough one today. Seeing LT, Simms, Eli, Coughlin, Carson, Bavaro all together and putting forth this type performance hurt bad. Daboll also had a horrendous game as OC. I wanna root for Jones I do. But he stinks. And he is a block head because he never learns. Still I see him running and taking head first hits. Then I see him throw a ball to a receiver at line of scrimmage while he is on the run (instead of tossing it out of bounds). He locks on everyone. The defender who scored the interception TD said he knew what Jines was gonna do ahead of time and watch the tape he is locked on!...he has been given all the support in the world. He just isn't able to handle it.

Lastly, I'd like to point out something that made me uncomfortable (not sure if this was spoken about or not yet)....it appeared to me our line wasn't in synch with his voice and to the naked eye, they didn't move in unison with him. Some jumped quicker than others. Probably a result of not being together enough but it really was noticeable to me. Not that it's the end of the world but it just seemed so rushed and helter skelter.

I appreciate your pointing out the observation above I boldfaced. I noticed this as well. I expected them to be a little out of sync, but it seemed at times they were strangers getting to know each other.

If the offense has any hope of working this season, the O-line and the QB, whomever it is, will have to be on the same page.

It didn't look good today and they had better get it fixed next week or it will be a long season.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 08:34:38 PMDevito's play last year was world's better than what we saw from Jones today. It was also significantly better than what Jones did last year too.

I'm not suggesting that any of the alternatives to Jones presently on the roster are good, or even decent. But if what we saw today is repeated next week, they may be better than the present option.

Jones should be played as long as the coaches believe he gives the team the best chance to win the next game. Right now, and based on what we saw last year, and based on what we saw at times in camp as well as in the preseason game against the Texans' starters, it's simply not clear that that's the case.
The 2 QB's in the building today that give them the best chance to win are retired, unfortunately.  Then again, they are playing Washington next week.  We know they turn into world beaters against them.

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 07:48:49 PMI'll be shocked if he doesn't start next week. You have to remember, these coaches and GMs are often guided not just by what the best decision is but also by what makes them look the least bad. Obviously if they start him and he sucks again that's not a great look, but benching a guy that you paid all this money to and didn't upgrade in the offseason (I realize they tried to move up, but in the end they didn't nor did they draft anyone else or sign anyone else) after week one makes you look like you're in over your head.

Jones will definitely start next week, barring a mid-week practice injury or something. If he is as bad as he was today, then I think you'll start to hear rumblings.

The money is what it is, can't just play him because of his salary.  Secondly, we don't know what went on behind closed doors.  Schoen may have wanted to let Jones walk after 2022, and been told he had to be re-signed.  I would not be tbe least bit shocked or even surprised if Mara was worried about how it would look for them to not re-sign their 1st round draft pick QB the season after they won a play-off game for the first time in 11 years.  I still haven't watched Hard Knocks, but it seems like Schoen wanted one of the QB's who went in the top-3.  When they went, can't just take the 4th for the sake of drafting a QB if you think that is going to have them in the same position 5 years from now. 

Trench

Quote from: kartanoman on September 08, 2024, 08:37:03 PMI appreciate your pointing out the observation above I boldfaced. I noticed this as well. I expected them to be a little out of sync, but it seemed at times they were strangers getting to know each other.

If the offense has any hope of working this season, the O-line and the QB, whomever it is, will have to be on the same page.

It didn't look good today and they had better get it fixed next week or it will be a long season.

Peace!

To this point, isn't it odd that Jones can never get a defense to "jump" when it matters for a free play?...it's kind of in the same category. Eli was masterful at that

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: coggs on September 08, 2024, 08:49:38 PMThe money is what it is, can't just play him because of his salary.  Secondly, we don't know what went on behind closed doors.  Schoen may have wanted to let Jones walk after 2022, and been told he had to be re-signed.  I would not be tbe least bit shocked or even surprised if Mara was worried about how it would look for them to not re-sign their 1st round draft pick QB the season after they won a play-off game for the first time in 11 years.  I still haven't watched Hard Knocks, but it seems like Schoen wanted one of the QB's who went in the top-3.  When they went, can't just take the 4th for the sake of drafting a QB if you think that is going to have them in the same position 5 years from now. 

Mara openly said to media while in negotiations that the Giants did everything to screw up Daniel Jones. A absolutely moronic thing to do. What do you think he was saying behind closed doors to Schoen? Mara has been unable to see Jones as a sunk cost and instead has attempted (desperately) to find reasons to keep Jones and pretend like Gentleman didn't set the franchise back a decade with equally-moronic and outdated methodologies.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 08:34:38 PMDevito's play last year was world's better than what we saw from Jones today. It was also significantly better than what Jones did last year too.

Professional Football- coaches should play the best. $$$ shouldn't matter but unfortunately it does

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Trench on September 08, 2024, 08:55:31 PMTo this point, isn't it odd that Jones can never get a defense to "jump" when it matters for a free play?...it's kind of in the same category. Eli was masterful at that

You jump if you're worried that you need to get to the QB before he makes a play. No danger of that with Jones.

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on September 08, 2024, 08:31:41 PMHe's coming for ya, Dabs!

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Tim, this made me LOL.  Thank you!!!