News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Malik Nabers

Started by sooners56, September 08, 2024, 03:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: B1GBLUE on September 10, 2024, 07:34:00 AMthe only defense of this, is we kept drafting better replacements. DT is the only thing we draft well. we had linval, let him go, then got hankins, let him go, then got dex. would have been nice to keep the first 2, but when you can upgrade at a cheaper price you do it.

B1: Just noticed this note.

Those are two good points, but each time a team cuts bait on a player after his 1st contract is done, there is IMO usually an overall net loss to the team's talent pool. Doing that too many times does not seem like a winning formula in the long run.

Also, I agree with @H-Town G-Fan that you forget to mention Dalvin Tomlinson.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

TDToomer

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 10, 2024, 08:29:34 AMB1: Just noticed this note.

Those are two good points, but each time a team cuts bait on a player after his 1st contract is done, there is IMO usually an overall net loss to the team's talent pool. Doing that too many times does not seem like a winning formula in the long run.

Bob

You mean like how we keep letting our best safeties leave?
Then we are forced to start rookies and NDFA and watch them struggle
They finally look good by year 3, we cheer
Then outplay their contract in year 4, we want to trade them
Fans then cheer when they sign a big contract with another team
Then the cycle begins again with young safeties forced into big roles and we watch them struggle
Rise, wash, repeat.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Bob In PA

Quote from: TDToomer on September 10, 2024, 08:35:41 AMYou mean like how we keep letting our best safeties leave?
Then we are forced to start rookies and NDFA and watch them struggle
They finally look good by year 3, we cheer
Then outplay their contract in year 4, we want to trade them
Fans then cheer when they sign a big contract with another team
Then the cycle begins again with young safeties forced into big roles and we watch them struggle
Rise, wash, repeat.

TD: Yes, I guess you'll have some of that when you change GM's and coordinators, but Giants this century seem to have mostly gotten rid of players who then turned out to be good (and retained players who failed to improve). As they say, "It's not a good look."  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

TONKA56

Quote from: TDToomer on September 09, 2024, 09:26:09 AMI find it very disheartening to read that a fellow Giants fan is openly encouraging our top rookie to leave as soon as his contract is up which may not be an option until after 2029.

Well, hopefully things get turned around so it all becomes moot.

coggs

Quote from: sooners56 on September 08, 2024, 03:56:26 PMIs it just me or does it look like for a lot of the game, Malik NABERS wasn't running full speed on routes nor given any effort??? Hopefully I am wrong but I swear I saw several routes throughout the game where he didn't appear to be interested.
My first thought when I read this was, "Maybe he knew he wasn't first read so knew he had no chance of getting the ball?"  Not saying that is ok, but could have been disheartened.

sooners56

So, I am guessing I am the only one who noticed or maybe I am the only one who thought he wasn't giving his all. I could be wrong. That's why I asked, not because I dislike Nabers.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

shadowspinner0

He was still one of the bright spots of the team the first game. In actuality he had the most receiving yards of any rookie receiver (TE included) who played in week 1. It's weird to have this complaint when he also ranked in the top 10 in separation for all receivers week 1.  No he was not dogging it.  He probably was frustrated late in the game with the overall team performance tho.   

Gmo11

Quote from: shadowspinner0 on September 10, 2024, 10:45:51 PMHe was still one of the bright spots of the team the first game. In actuality he had the most receiving yards of any rookie receiver (TE included) who played in week 1. It's weird to have this complaint when he also ranked in the top 10 in separation for all receivers week 1.  No he was not dogging it.  He probably was frustrated late in the game with the overall team performance tho.   

He was open a LOT on Sunday.   It was very encouraging to see.  Perhaps the only encouraging part of that game.  He's not going to be putting up Top WR numbers until he gets a QB that can throw him the ball but when he does he's going to be special.

TDToomer

Quote from: shadowspinner0 on September 10, 2024, 10:45:51 PMHe was still one of the bright spots of the team the first game. In actuality he had the most receiving yards of any rookie receiver (TE included) who played in week 1. It's weird to have this complaint when he also ranked in the top 10 in separation for all receivers week 1.  No he was not dogging it.  He probably was frustrated late in the game with the overall team performance tho.   

I agree and it is unbelievable that anyone is complaining about him. He could have had 200 yards and this team still lost. He was not the problem.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

todge

Quote from: killarich on September 08, 2024, 04:28:41 PMI think Nabers may have to be the one to get Jones benched ..... he said before he got drafted that he doesn't like when he's not targeted .... We probably need our first round pick to get pissed before Daboll and Schoen are like oh sh** we have to make a move
So you are of the belief that if you change the QB, all will be well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T200

Quote from: todge on September 11, 2024, 11:06:49 AMSo you are of the belief that if you change the QB, all will be well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not just any QB. I don't think a better QB is on the team right now. Lock is not accurate enough, DeVito has happy feet and doesn't keep his eyes downfield when the rush closes in on him.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Gmo11

Quote from: T200 on September 11, 2024, 11:11:48 AMNot just any QB. I don't think a better QB is on the team right now. Lock is not accurate enough, DeVito has happy feet and doesn't keep his eyes downfield when the rush closes in on him.

Devito would be better for Nabers specifically because I don't think he'd care much about whether he was covered or not and just throw it up to his guy.  I don't think it would lead to more wins because Devito isn't any good either but I do think the WRs would like him better because at least they're getting the ball thrown down the field from time to time.

DJN

I did notice that Nabers seemed to take a couple of plays off, but he might as well have, because Jones, the whole only locked in one receiver\...Even with Nabers wide open for a 20 yard gain, he never checked off the safety and by the time Jones threw, he was already breaking and broke up the pass

coggs

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 10, 2024, 08:29:34 AMB1: Just noticed this note.

Bob
In many cases, it is at a position that is deemed not worthy of a big second deal as they feel they can replace the player with someone who is younger, cheaper, and the production is not as big of a drop off.  DT, S, RB are probably the 3 that suffer the most here.

kartanoman

Well, he's on the weekly injury list with a knee so, perhaps, that explains what most were observing in the game.

Yet another skill position impacted by the Sardine Can Turf Monster.

And the beat goes on!

Ugh!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)