News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ryan Tannehill anyone?

Started by andrew_nyGiants, September 08, 2024, 03:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I was jealous of the Vikings having Darnold.

Maybe we can put a journeyman in and start scoring some points.

How big is our cap hit if Jones is released?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

They won't release Jones until the offseason. Obviously nobody is going to take him in a trade either. He's a Giant for the rest of the season.

I'd be looking at Tannehill and possibly Wentz. There may be others. At least get someone like that in the QB room. Especially if the reason for Jones' hideous play is that he's still not 100%, although I highly question that excuse because (1) he was awful last year before he got hurt too and (2) all reports from the team have been that he is fully healthy.

Why not sign Tannehill or Wentz? What's the downside? If not, then DeVito should be told to be ready to go next week.

This is supposed to be a proud franchise. You can't sit idle and have QB play of that level on the field. And I realize a lot of other players played terribly today and I'm not excusing them. But Jones is central to this. He makes over $10mm a year more than the second highest player on the team and is paid multiples of what the vast majority of guys on the roster are. It's just outrageous.

andrew_nyGiants

Isn't Wentz #2 to Mahomes in KC right now?

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

kingm56

I'd rather the Giants ride with DJ and Tommy; that gives them the best chance to draft a QB next season. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on September 08, 2024, 05:20:19 PMI'd rather the Giants ride with DJ and Tommy; that gives them the best chance to draft a QB next season. 

Sad to think we're already thinking about wanting to pick as high as possible after only being 0-1 Matt, but I'd be lying if I said that that thought has not crossed my mind more than once today.

I do think this organization should feel a sense of responsibility to its fans though to put a watchable product on the field that is at least vaguely competitive in some games. If this is roughly how Jones is going to play moving forward (and this is more or less what we got from him last year too so I don't think that's some overly knee-jerk consideration), then I feel they should at least bring in a vet off the street and put him in the QB room with Jones and Devito. They can still play Jones next week, but why not add another guy to learn the playbook for a week or two and create some competition/optionality?

There were some throws today by Jones that were literally shocking. I was recently watching some clips of my high school team playing not long ago - there were plays where I really think the 17 year old kid they have would have executed better than Jones did today in the exact same situation. No joke. I 100% believe that. There were plays today that weren't difficult at all that Jones simply couldn't handle.

madbadger

I wouldn't make any moves other than to demote Jones. In order for this decade of misery to end we need to be bad enough to have the pick of the litter in this draft. Winning a couple meaningless games at the end of the season to drop from having the first pick to having the fourth or fifth is the worst possible outcome for us fans.

AYM

I take a different tack.

Work Tannehill out. If he shows that what he's got in the tank is better than what our current QBs are capable of, sign him and prepare him to start.

Here's why. It's year 3 of this regime. We have young players like Nabers and Hyatt that we need to develop. They won't develop with Jones throwing them the ball.

That's more important than trying to tank - especially in a year where Carolina is almost mutually assured of getting the #1 overall pick (they're much worse than this team and we'll probably beat them easily when we play them later this year).

AYM

Quote from: madbadger on September 08, 2024, 05:36:27 PMI wouldn't make any moves other than to demote Jones. In order for this decade of misery to end we need to be bad enough to have the pick of the litter in this draft. Winning a couple meaningless games at the end of the season to drop from having the first pick to having the fourth or fifth is the worst possible outcome for us fans.

Carolina is looking like a legitimate 0-17 team. Not the year to try to tank.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 08, 2024, 04:14:12 PMIsn't Wentz #2 to Mahomes in KC right now?

My bad. You're right. He was unsigned for much of the summer.

coggs

Green Bay has already reached out to Tannehill.

DaveBrown74

Here are some names of guys who are still available (besides Tannehill):

Nate Sudfeld
C.J. Beathard
Trevor Siemian
Blaine Gabbert
P.J. Walker
John Wolford
Brian Hoyer

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 09:24:37 PMHere are some names of guys who are still available (besides Tannehill):

Nate Sudfeld
C.J. Beathard
Trevor Siemian
Blaine Gabbert
P.J. Walker
John Wolford
Brian Hoyer
In all seriousness, I am not sure they even have the cap space to bring anyone in.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 08, 2024, 09:24:37 PMHere are some names of guys who are still available (besides Tannehill):

Nate Sudfeld
C.J. Beathard
Trevor Siemian
Blaine Gabbert
P.J. Walker
John Wolford
Brian Hoyer

I wouldn't want any of these guys. Hoyer was once good but he is in his 40's now.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on September 08, 2024, 09:37:16 PMI wouldn't want any of these guys. Hoyer was once good but he is in his 40's now.

No he's not, but I hear you.

Gmo11

To what end? Yes the owners should feel responsible to put something resembling competency on the field but say they do bring in Tannehill and he does what he always does and wins 6-8 games. Then what?

They're better off letting devito lose every game because at least then a real QB can be acquired.  Tannehill is over the Tannehill he's not a long term answer. He's a band aid on a bullet wound. It would do more harm than good.

We're just going to have to suffer through one of the worst seasons imaginable then draft hope. We should be used to that by now.