News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

When to bench DJ?

Started by kingm56, September 08, 2024, 09:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-Town G-Fan

Daboll sees DJ every day in practice and knows what he is (and certainly better than anyone here on this board). He's known since 2022 when he decided to lean heavily on the run-game and basically limit Jones to dinking-and-dunking. Jones laid an absolute egg in game 2 of the preseason making the exact rookie mistakes he just made in week 1 (and as he did last year). Was another preseason game going to keep him from staring down receivers? (Hint: 60+ games in the NFL hasn't done that.) No one is showing real defensive concepts in the pre-season. By all accounts, the Giants had a hard-hitting camp so many complained about after last off-season... Now that wasn't enough and it actually needed to be more pre-season game time.

Do we believe that Daboll was somehow not aware DJ may be rusty coming off his injury? Let me put it this way... what's more likely: Daboll is some buffoon who forgot DJ was injured and neglected to get him more game time in the preseason, or giving him more game time would have only further exposed a limited player upon whom the Giants' fate in 2024 rests?

You can change the recipe as much as you want--the ingredients remain the same.

Gmo11

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on September 09, 2024, 02:17:36 PMDaboll sees DJ every day in practice and knows what he is (and certainly better than anyone here on this board). He's known since 2022 when he decided to lean heavily on the run-game and basically limit Jones to dinking-and-dunking. Jones laid an absolute egg in game 2 of the preseason making the exact rookie mistakes he just made in week 1 (and as he did last year). Was another preseason game going to keep him from staring down receivers? (Hint: 60+ games in the NFL hasn't done that.) No one is showing real defensive concepts in the pre-season. By all accounts, the Giants had a hard-hitting camp so many complained about after last off-season... Now that wasn't enough and it actually needed to be more pre-season game time.

Do we believe that Daboll was somehow not aware DJ may be rusty coming off his injury? Let me put it this way... what's more likely: Daboll is some buffoon who forgot DJ was injured and neglected to get him more game time in the preseason, or giving him more game time would have only further exposed a limited player upon whom the Giants' fate in 2024 rests?

Thank you!  Expressed better than I have been but the point is the same.  They could have played 9 preseason games and he'd still look like that because, and this might be shocking to some, that's exactly who he is!

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Gmo11 on September 09, 2024, 02:21:00 PMThank you!  Expressed better than I have been but the point is the same.  They could have played 9 preseason games and he'd still look like that because, and this might be shocking to some, that's exactly who he is!

And guess what: Jones will look better than he did yesterday. But not because he needed more pre-season games, but because that's him: an up-and-down player with unfortunately far more of the latter.

T200

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on September 09, 2024, 02:17:36 PMDaboll sees DJ every day in practice and knows what he is (and certainly better than anyone here on this board). He's known since 2022 when he decided to lean heavily on the run-game and basically limit Jones to dinking-and-dunking. Jones laid an absolute egg in game 2 of the preseason making the exact rookie mistakes he just made in week 1 (and as he did last year). Was another preseason game going to keep him from staring down receivers? (Hint: 60+ games in the NFL hasn't done that.) No one is showing real defensive concepts in the pre-season. By all accounts, the Giants had a hard-hitting camp so many complained about after last off-season... Now that wasn't enough and it actually needed to be more pre-season game time.

My reasons for wanting Jones specifically to play were:

1 - Knock off the rust
2 - Develop some chemistry and timing with his receivers, especially Nabers and Robinson
3 - Get used to the 5 guys up front and develop some trust

He's gun shy because he didn't trust the line to protect him. He's essentially got 4 new guys in front of him and he needed the live work regardless of the opponent throwing their 2s and 3s out there.

Oh well. It's done. On to Washington.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on September 09, 2024, 02:17:36 PMDo we believe that Daboll was somehow not aware DJ may be rusty coming off his injury? Let me put it this way... what's more likely: Daboll is some buffoon who forgot DJ was injured and neglected to get him more game time in the preseason, or giving him more game time would have only further exposed a limited player upon whom the Giants' fate in 2024 rests?

H-T: All true and a good argument. I can't speak for others but when I refer to "rust" (a word I have not used until right now, except for noting that Tom Brady during is broadcast yesterday used the word, referring to Deshaun Watson), I'm talking about a medical issue, not the football matter of competence to play QB. Like I said in a response to one of your earlier posts today, when it comes to the knee, Daboll knows only what the doctors tell him. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: T200 on September 09, 2024, 02:24:56 PMMy reasons for wanting Jones specifically to play were:

1 - Knock off the rust
2 - Develop some chemistry and timing with his receivers, especially Nabers and Robinson
3 - Get used to the 5 guys up front and develop some trust

He's gun shy because he didn't trust the line to protect him. He's essentially got 4 new guys in front of him and he needed the live work regardless of the opponent throwing their 2s and 3s out there.

Oh well. It's done. On to Washington.

I'm not trying to dismiss entirely the concern that there's additional value from having him play in the pre-season that Daboll forewent by not playing starters in game 3. That's certainly valid. But similarly, playing him was not without potential drawbacks. Is it not possible a third game would only have further hurt DJ's confidence with a bad performance? Certainly seems that may have been a strong possibility given how week 1 went.

T200

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on September 09, 2024, 02:35:46 PMI'm not trying to dismiss entirely the concern that there's additional value from having him play in the pre-season that Daboll forewent by not playing starters in game 3. That's certainly valid. But similarly, playing him was not without potential drawbacks. Is it not possible a third game would only have further hurt DJ's confidence with a bad performance? Certainly seems that may have been a strong possibility given how week 1 went.
Most definitely a possibility as well, considering how fragile his psyche must be after yesterday.

Everything that went wrong yesterday could have been revealed in one of the preseason games and addressed, and it wouldn't have us 0-1.

As I said, it's done and it's fruitless to try and put Humpty Dumpty together. We're on to Washington and hoping for better play.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

Keep Jones in, he's our best chance to pick number 1 next year. We can stumble around in the dark and win with Devito or Lock unintentionally.

LennG

Just think how relieved all those other team are who were all set to draft Jones if the Giants didn't. Rodge, where are you when I need an answer
To have drafted Jones at 6 was a crime and we are serving the punishment.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

Quote from: kingm56 on September 08, 2024, 10:19:43 PMLOL...I keep thinking he can't get much worse, than I look at his last 8 games, and realize he can. 

Well, there is taking a knee on your own one-yard line on third and long with half of a football game to go; that has to rank down there with Patterson Plank Joe's "Fumble." Start passing out the 1000 mg Losartan Potassium tablets should he top, I mean "bottom," that!

:angryfire:  :banghead:  :cuss:  :crazy:  :Faint:  :angel:

Good night, Gracie!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: LennG on September 09, 2024, 06:08:54 PMJust think how relieved all those other team are who were all set to draft Jones if the Giants didn't. Rodge, where are you when I need an answer
To have drafted Jones at 6 was a crime and we are serving the punishment.

Don't worry. Phil Simms says 33 other teams were lining up to draft him. (No one else ever reported this, but don't let that get in the way of some deflection, okay?)

coggs

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 09, 2024, 02:55:32 PMKeep Jones in, he's our best chance to pick number 1 next year. We can stumble around in the dark and win with Devito or Lock unintentionally.
Maybe, but if he gets hurt, the salary becomes a problem next year.

Section 101 Steve

If we lose to Washington and he stinks again they need to make the change for game 3. This team has too many holes to be going anywhere and god forbid he gets hurt we're stuck with him for another year which would be an absolute killer! If we win Sunday unless he looks a lot better I would still make the change. The other 2 qb's aren't any great shakes. I just want to make sure we're not stuck with jones for another year!
sm

VanPelt

I'd bench him now, but I guess thats just me. I don't see any way he starts playing well enough, and we might as well throw Lock out there and see what happens before its too late.

Woody

the issue is how does "Dabble" handle the situation......his job depends on Jones and how he handles more bad play by him . also , not impressed with Dabble calling the plays and the use of personnel on offense.
Singletary looks weak.  so far... he may get better but use Gray and all ...why not ? I think Gray has more potential than Singletary at his point in his career.
Weird week one ..,.. everyone wants run the QB out of town and the coach is definitely on hot seat ?
what a way to start a season  :what: