News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NY Giants biggest mistake in the past 10 years.

Started by brownelvis54, September 10, 2024, 05:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

In your opinion what was the biggest blunder the Giants did in the past 10 years? For me...one stands out the most is letting Tom Coughlin go and not having a good coach to right the sinking ship. We should have gotten Jim Harbaugh before he went to the Chargers ( runors had it he want the Giant job) Sean Payton could have been a viable option, Dennis Allen might have been solid too.

Instead we get Ben McAdoo, Steve Spagnuolo, Pat Shurmur, Joe Judge and sad to say Brian Daboll looks to belong to this group.

I really think Jim Harbaugh could have turned things around.

Look at the this list

Records of Current NFL Head Coaches

https://www.footballdb.com/coaches/index.html

The KING is in the building

TONKA56

Quote from: brownelvis54 on September 10, 2024, 05:40:05 PMIn your opinion what was the biggest blunder the Giants did in the past 10 years? For me...one stands out the most is letting Tom Coughlin go and not having a good coach to right the sinking ship. We should have gotten Jim Harbaugh before he went to the Chargers ( runors had it he want the Giant job) Sean Payton could have been a viable option, Dennis Allen might have been solid too.

Instead we get Ben McAdoo, Steve Spagnuolo, Pat Shurmur, Joe Judge and sad to say Brian Daboll looks to belong to this group.

I really think Jim Harbaugh could have turned things around.

Look at the this list

Records of Current NFL Head Coaches

https://www.footballdb.com/coaches/index.html

Fans screamed for change for the sake of change. They got it. And here we are.

Doc16LT56

Biggest mistake happened in two parts imo. First, keeping Jerry Reese instead of cleaning house. Second, hiring Gettleman and letting him finish the organization's transition into the Jets.

Gmo11

kingm56

First, I believe firing Tom C was completely justified as the team had three consecutive losing seasons. The blunders are all tied together:

1. Not firing Reese with Coach C,
2. Hiring a GM who failed to realize the game had fundamentally changed. 
  --He was building the roster with an irrelevant play book.
3. As a byproduct of building a team to run the football, and stop the run, we wasted our #2 overall pick on Barkley

What I wished would have happened: Fire Tom C and Jerry Reese, move on from Eli, and draft Allen.  It all started with our failure to fire Reese the same year as Coughlin, every poor decision from that point (drafting Carter, drafting Toony over Parsons, etc..) was a byproduct of that blunder.   

PSUBeirut

In my opinion it was treating the 2022 season like a stepping stone instead of an aberration.  It would have taken a lot of guts at that point to continue to tear down and rebuild the roster, starting with the QB, but that's exactly what they should have continued doing.  At the very least, DJ should have been on the franchise tag.

AYM

Promoting Chris Mara.

Oh, wait, that was 2012 when this dork age of Giants football started.

Still, nothing comes close.

jgrangers2

Gettleman, no question. He was completely out of his depth in the modern game. Dude may have set this team back a decade.

TONKA56

Quote from: jgrangers2 on September 10, 2024, 06:52:08 PMGettleman, no question. He was completely out of his depth in the modern game. Dude may have set this team back a decade.

Gettleman was a by-product of bringing in Ernie Accorsi to "assist" in the search. That whole thing was weird. It's like Mara needed Ernie to bless the union. It's not like it was a legitimate candidate search.

DaveBrown74

There have been many, clearly. But to me, nothing is less forgivable than the Gettleman hire.

It's one thing to make a regrettable hire. Anyone who has hired a lot of people has done it. But Mara had no process around this decision other than going back to an old familiar person (that nobody else wanted) and getting Accorsi's blessing on it. Accorsi hadn't worked in a decade or so. There was zero robustness around the hiring process. It was just a lazy, mindless decision that was more about seeking comfort and familiarity than actually moving the franchise forward and keeping it competitive with emerging trends in the modern NFL.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: jgrangers2 on September 10, 2024, 06:52:08 PMGettleman, no question. He was completely out of his depth in the modern game. Dude may have set this team back a decade.

He couldn't wait for Herbert so he forced Jones to try and save his job. What a legacy...

coggs

Not trading up for Mahomes when reports have come out that McAdoo practically begged them to.   Not going after Jeff Stoutland to coach the OLine when he was at Alabama.

LennG

For me it is the Giants hiring a string of basic nobodies to coach this team trying to find that needle in the haystack instead setting us up for disaster after disaster.
Gettleman and drafting
Barkley at 2
Jones at 6
And passing over Parsons for Toney

For me this is so much like the 70s when they kept bringing in old retreads for GM and coaches
(Robestrlli as GM, Webster as coach,)
Things didn't change until GY an impartial person was hired.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

umassgrad

Too many to pick just one but I would vote for the Schoen drafting failures.

nicky1000

Let me clarify your post. Dude DEFINITELY set this team back a decade.