News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I have two questions about Daniel Jones

Started by MightyGiants, September 11, 2024, 10:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

1)  Why was he so inaccurate on Sunday?  He hasn't been a pinpoint accurate QB, but he is usually more accurate than what we saw Sunday?  Why was that?

2)  Can he resolve whatever issues he is dealing with?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2024, 10:41:23 AM1)  Why was he so inaccurate on Sunday?  He hasn't been a pinpoint accurate QB, but he is usually more accurate than what we saw Sunday?  Why was that?

1) He's coming back from a 9-month layoff recovering from a significant injury. He played very little in the preseason. He has rust to shake off to get his timing back. He also needs to build up his trust in the line and not be so quick to run. But, with regards to his accuracy, he could be better. He has been better than he was on Sunday prior to the injury. I think he can be accurate enough to get the ball into the receivers' hands. He has never had pinpoint accuracy to where he hits receivers in stride or throws them open. That goes to anticipation, which I don't think he has.

2) Issues as we the fans see them or issues that he feels he has? Probably aren't the same.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

files58

There is one answer. He is not a good QB.

Gmo11

Jclayton92

I mean is this not the same Daniel we saw last year, vs the Texans in the preseason, and Sunday?

Even a broken clock can be right occasionally especially in Minnesota, and Washington.

Philosophers

Messiah717

He's a backup pretending to be a starter in New York.

MightyGiants

For those not answering the questions but simply saying that DJ stinks, I have a question for you-  What does that say about Brian Daboll and Joe Schoen, who have had DJ as their starter for the past 3 seasons?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2024, 03:10:32 PMFor those not answering the questions but simply saying that DJ stinks, I have a question for you-  What does that say about Brian Daboll and Joe Schoen, who have had DJ as their starter for the past 3 seasons?
That they were saddled with a bad Qb and made the best of a bad situation? You asked why he was so inaccurate, whatever made you think he was accurate to begin with? The 300 2 to 3 yard passes he threw in 2022? At this point there is no way to put lipstick on Daniel Jones, there's "no, well ehh if you tilt your head sideways and squint maybe there's a good qb in there". Daniel Jones does suck so what do you expect them to say, I can't believe our qb that is trash is inaccurate? The ghost of Daniel Jones left us years ago, he's just collecting a check. Schoen can't play qb and neither can Daboll, after 2022 "fans" pressured the Org to sign Jones plus likely the owner thinking we were that close and thought Jones was there despite throwing less volume than some rookies in 2022. The Kool-aid that was had between that minny game and the start of 2023 was wild considering what Jones was.

No thread made this season will help us understand why Jones can't process the defenses he sees, it's an unsolved mystery at this point that has zero to do with his oline or weapons.

Onward to 2025.

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2024, 03:10:32 PMFor those not answering the questions but simply saying that DJ stinks, I have a question for you-  What does that say about Brian Daboll and Joe Schoen, who have had DJ as their starter for the past 3 seasons?

It speaks to their misfortune.  In his first year, they had 2 top 10 picks in the worst QB class in multiple decades.  There wasn't a single first round option; if there was, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  They did the right thing and opted to forgo exercising his 5th year option, only to inexplicably find themselves in the playoffs, despite finishing the year 3-5-1; once again, they found themselves outside the the zone to select a viable QB prospect.  However, they were prudent and gave themselves a viable out in just 2-years.  I have no issues with this COA as the other viable options wouldn't alter our long term trajectory. 

Fast forward to last year, and they win 3 meaningless game to once again not be in a position to draft a viable QB. 

It's not like they haven't tried to replace DJ; however, the opportunity hasn't presented itself.  Hopefully, it will happen this year.

Messiah717

I'm not a big fan of Daboll.  Schoen I give an incomplete because he inherited a mess.  That being said we need to start seeing some improvement here.  You have to give your fans some hope for the future. 

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 11, 2024, 10:41:23 AM1)  Why was he so inaccurate on Sunday?  He hasn't been a pinpoint accurate QB, but he is usually more accurate than what we saw Sunday?  Why was that?

He's always been inaccurate. Perhaps a little more this past Sunday than on average but he's had games where his accuracy was worse before all the injuries. It is who he is. It could get better but I don't think we'll ever get to the point where it's good enough when accounting for all the issues surrounding the game.

I can't recall a quarterback improving radically after his fifth year in the league. At best he's a backup in the league IMHO.

Gmo11

Quote from: kingm56 on September 11, 2024, 03:32:21 PMIt speaks to their misfortune.  In his first year, they had 2 top 10 picks in the worst QB class in multiple decades.  There wasn't a single first round option; if there was, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  They did the right thing and opted to forgo exercising his 5th year option, only to inexplicably find themselves in the playoffs, despite finishing the year 3-5-1; once again, they found themselves outside the the zone to select a viable QB prospect.  However, they were prudent and gave themselves a viable out in just 2-years.  I have no issues with this COA as the other viable options wouldn't alter our long term trajectory. 

Fast forward to last year, and they win 3 meaningless game to once again not be in a position to draft a viable QB. 

It's not like they haven't tried to replace DJ; however, the opportunity hasn't presented itself.  Hopefully, it will happen this year.

This is a great point.  If Devito hadn't magically won 3 games in a row somehow, the Giants finish in the bottom 3 of the league and based on what we saw in Hard Knocks I think it's pretty safe to say if they had, they'd have taken one of the 3 QBs and replaced Jones once and for all.  It's unfortunate they won those meaningless games and pushed themselves out of the QB sweepstakes.  I hope that if they're not going to make the playoffs (spoiler alert...they're not) then they don't make the same mistake again.  Lose spectacularly so we can finally, once and for all, move on from Jones.

Giant Jim

Quote from: Messiah717 on September 11, 2024, 02:41:52 PMHe's a backup pretending to be a starter in New York.
Back ups don't throw balls at receiver's feet or interceptions like the pick 6 he's thrown. He was never this bad.

Painter

We have made a quick transition from the Silly Season to the Bitch and Moan Season while our opinions have no greater value now than they did then. Moreover, as I don't expect to be any less disappointed, dissatisfied, and displeased at season's end than I am right now, rather than engage B & Ming for the next 18 weeks or so, I guess I'll just have to start being Silly sooner.

Cheers!