News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Sign Cade Mays G/C

Started by Dumpster Dan, September 11, 2024, 11:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster Dan

Giants signed Cade Mays G/C     former 6th round pick of the Panthers

Played in 16 games last year starting five--not saying much I guess since its the Panthers

But as a back-up   might be a decent signing

Dumpster Dan

Philosophers

I liked him a lot as a late round draft pick.  I stopped following him after he entered NFL but he was a promising college prospect.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on September 11, 2024, 11:24:09 AMGiants signed Cade Mays G/C    former 6th round pick of the Panthers

Played in 16 games last year starting five--not saying much I guess since its the Panthers

But as a back-up  might be a decent signing

Dumpster Dan

Interesting signing. Drafted in the 6th round two drafts ago. I remember the draft well, because I was off the wall excited about getting Thibadeaux, Neal, and Wan'Dale...then I was stunned with disbelief that the Giants took a player I had never even heard of in the third round, Joshua Ezuedu. I was pining for Cam Jurgens who went a couple spots earlier to the Eagles. But I also had Cade May on my list (which didn't include Ezuedu, or McKethan for that matter who we drafted in the 5th rd  :-?? )

More of a guard than a center...IMHO. Big guy 6'6/330 (according to WIKI, but 6'4 3/4"/311 according to the combine). If he's actually 6'6", it's a little tall for a center...again, IMHO. But he has experience there. Only 25 years old and played for Georgia and Tennessee, so he got plenty of tough experience in the SEC. Coach him up under a decent line coach, and maybe he has the right makeup to be a solid backup or even a starter in a couple of years. It all depends on what's between his ears and if he's moldable

The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Dumpster Dan

I remember him as well    Good college credentials at Georgia and then Tennessee

Looks like it might have been a numbers game at Carolina   

Their fan forum indicated that Panthers wanted to sign him  to their PS  but he chose the Giants>  Wonder why???

Dumpster Dan

Philosophers

From NFL.com pre-draft:

Overview
Offensive line prospect with five-position experience, a broad frame and good overall strength. He has good length and can play square against bigger, odd-front defenders, which is extremely valuable at center. He needs to stay under his pads and play with a wider base on a more consistent basis. However, he has drive-blocking talent and should benefit from his pass protection experience. Mays has the potential to become a starting center in time.
Strengths
Proportional and broad with good length.
Has experience at all five O-line positions.
Does a nice job of matching power with power.
Upper-body power and hand pop into contact.
Has talent for combination-block success as center.
Patient lateral movement up to moving targets.
Quick press and extend in his pass punch.
Protection experience at tackle will help inside.
Weaknesses
Missed multiple games due to injury in three of his four seasons.
Struggled with guard assignments in 2020.
Lacks technique on double teams and down blocks.
Can maintain a wider base through engagement.
Athletic defenders take advantage of his forward lean.
Pass protection can be too straight-legged.
Needs to punch with faster, more efficient hands.

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

When I hear 5 position experience all I can think is oh, you were never really good at any one position.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 11, 2024, 01:30:17 PMWhen I hear 5 position experience all I can think is oh, you were never really good at any one position.

Either that, or his teammates sucked, so they'd move him into the weak spot. Regardless, versatility with a backup OL player is a luxury for a coach, even if he is best at one or two spots, and only adequate at others. Regardless, he's young, 4-years experience in the SEC, 2-years in the NFL, and only 25 yrs old. He's on the practice squad, so coaches can better evaluate if he has a future on our o-line. Could be a good move, but time will tell. I'm just glad we finally have an actual OL coach
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Philosophers

As I recall, he fell in the draft because of a potential health issue that never materialized, correct or is that another Tennessee guard I am thinking of?

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on September 12, 2024, 01:35:53 PMAs I recall, he fell in the draft because of a potential health issue that never materialized, correct or is that another Tennessee guard I am thinking of?
The kid in kc that is thriving right now, forgot his name. Smith maybe

WheresDayne

In the picture above, he looks massive.  But he also has a knee brace on each knee, both elbows wrapped and it looks like he's missing fingers (maybe he ate them)  :hurt:

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

What does this say about all of us to sort of get excited when we sign some guy who hasn't done much of anything, but has that dreaded word 'potential'.
I guess we are that hard up for anyone who can block someone.

:surrender:  :surrender:  :surrender:  :surrender:  :surrender:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss