News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF highest rated pass blockers week 1

Started by Doc16LT56, September 11, 2024, 10:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc16LT56

Some familiar names here.

One current Giant. One former Giant. Two former 1st round picks the Giants passed on.

https://x.com/PFF/status/1833860546069938310?t=CpZxE5HonLL4hKoZin7_Hw&s=19

UncannyGfan

What went wrong with Will Hernandez's time with the NYG?

MightyGiants

Quote from: UncannyGfan on September 12, 2024, 09:46:47 AMWhat went wrong with Will Hernandez's time with the NYG?

When a player fails to develop on one team but does with another, it's usually a coaching issue.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: UncannyGfan on September 12, 2024, 09:46:47 AMWhat went wrong with Will Hernandez's time with the NYG?

Didn't he have a decent rookie year as well?

TDToomer

What went wrong with Julian Love's time with the Giants in that he is not a Pro Bowler who got a huge extension and we are starting rookies and nobodies at Safety?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

londonblue

Quote from: TDToomer on September 12, 2024, 11:50:51 AMWhat went wrong with Julian Love's time with the Giants in that he is not a Pro Bowler who got a huge extension and we are starting rookies and nobodies at Safety?

Our rookie and nobodies are decent footballers with potential to be better to be fair to them and probably don't deserve to catch strays here.

Love was a solid player with us when used as a S but he was a victim of his versatility, competition (Peppers, McKinney) and scheme lack of fit for much of his stay.

Hernandez also suffered from our scheme not always matching/utilising his strengths and even more so from the carousel of bad OL coaching.

It happens, particularly on bad teams going through front office and coaching staff transitions.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MrGap92

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 12, 2024, 09:49:28 AMWhen a player fails to develop on one team but does with another, it's usually a coaching issue.

This, along with schematic fit, are the two likeliest answers.

I could be wrong, but I do feel he struggled out there too, if the case hopefully he can continue the upward trend

T200

Is Baldinger doing his breakdowns this season?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on September 12, 2024, 10:45:43 AMDidn't he have a decent rookie year as well?

Yes, his rookie year was almost identical to his best year in Az.  Last year, he gave up 4 sacks and 39 pressures, leading to a 67 PFF rating.  In his rookie year, he surrendered 5 sacks, leaded to a 69 PFF score.  So, the notion the Giants had a coaching issue, despite Will H having an identical year as a Giant, is perplexing to me.  The coaching issues certainly didn't impact Thomas, who's the NFL's best LT.

It shouldn't be lost on anyone that Hernandez rookie year occurred in 2018, which was Eli's last full year as a starter.  Instead of coaching, I submit Hernandez is playing better as a byproduct of being surrounded by better talent, especially at the QB position. He played with mediocre talent during his last two seasons as a Giant. 

The Giants Oline coach in 2018 and 2019 was Hal Hunter.  What's more plausible, Hunter forgot how to coach from 2018 to 2019, or the QB/style change hampered Will Hernandez? 

If Hal Hunter was such a terrible Oline coach that hampered Will H growth, how did these Pro Bowl and HoF player(s) thrive under his coaching? Again, did he forget how to coach?

San Diego Chargers (2006–2012):
Nick Hardwick (Center) – A Pro Bowl center, Hardwick was a key part of the Chargers' offensive line during Hunter's tenure as the offensive line coach and later offensive coordinator.
Kris Dielman (Guard) – A four-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro, Dielman was one of the most dominant guards in the NFL while Hunter was coaching the Chargers' offensive line.
Marcus McNeill (Left Tackle) – McNeill was a two-time Pro Bowl selection and an important part of the Chargers' offensive line during Hunter's coaching period.
Jeromey Clary (Tackle/Guard) – A versatile offensive lineman, Clary started at both tackle and guard for the Chargers and was a reliable part of the line.
Indianapolis Colts (2013–2015, 2017):
Anthony Castonzo (Left Tackle) – Castonzo was one of the best left tackles in the league and a mainstay of the Colts' offensive line during Hunter's time there.
Ryan Kelly (Center) – Although Hunter was an assistant, Ryan Kelly developed into one of the NFL's top centers.
Jack Mewhort (Guard) – A talented guard who showed promise but dealt with injuries during his career, Mewhort was one of the Colts' top linemen under Hunter.
Cleveland Browns (2016):
Joe Thomas (Left Tackle) – One of the greatest offensive linemen in NFL history, Joe Thomas was a 10-time Pro Bowler and six-time First-Team All-Pro. Though already well-established by the time Hunter coached him in 2016, Thomas remained dominant under Hunter's guidance.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kingm56 on September 12, 2024, 05:38:06 PMYes, his rookie year was almost identical to his best year in Az.  Last year, he gave up 4 sacks and 39 pressures, leading to a 67 PFF rating.  In his rookie year, he surrendered 5 sacks, leaded to a 69 PFF score.  So, the notion the Giants had a coaching issue, despite Will H having an identical year as a Giant, is perplexing to me.  The coaching issues certainly didn't impact Thomas, who's the NFL's best LT.

It shouldn't be lost on anyone that Hernandez rookie year occurred in 2018, which was Eli's last full year as a starter.  Instead of coaching, I submit Hernandez is playing better as a byproduct of being surrounded by better talent, especially at the QB position. He played with mediocre talent during his last two seasons as a Giant. 

The QB position certainly didn't impact Thomas, who's the NFL's best LT.

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 12, 2024, 05:52:59 PMThe QB position certainly didn't impact Thomas, who's the NFL's best LT.

So, you're saying individual talent can shine, despite the surrounding talent and/or coaching?  If so, I AGREE!  Great players are great players, regardless of coaching and/or surrounding talent, and Thomas is a great player.  Average players, similar to Will H, need help from thier supporting cast.  After all, that's what separates the greats from the JAGs, correct?