News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants vs Commanders Game Thread

Started by killarich, September 15, 2024, 01:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 15, 2024, 04:43:50 PMThe good news is we could now be on our way to 0-8. This could lead to the coaching housecleaning needed, but also could help us preserve assets.

Not only is having our pick of the QB litter key, but not having to trade any picks to land that guy would be huge, as well.

Nah, we're better than Carolina and possibly beat Wash with an actual kicker.  I see 2 - 6

uconnjack8

Not the history you want to make

kartanoman

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 15, 2024, 08:14:18 PMNot the history you want to make

@Giant Obsession : Mike, add this one to your history books as well as your kindling for burning the head coach at the stake.

Simply a mesmerizing, fascinating fact the likes of which we may never see again.

Just wow!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Giant Obsession

Quote from: kartanoman on September 15, 2024, 09:32:58 PM@Giant Obsession : Mike, add this one to your history books as well as your kindling for burning the head coach at the stake.

Simply a mesmerizing, fascinating fact the likes of which we may never see again.

Just wow!

Done.....actually added it about 20 minutes ago.

100 years it's nice to know we can still set records that will never be broken.

I keep thinking after the mid 60's thru 1980 we could never approach this level of mediocrity again, but damn, I was wrong.  Honestly glad I am much older now, I shudder what this would have done to me 50 years ago.   
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on September 15, 2024, 08:14:18 PMNot the history you want to make

It was either Carson or Martin who said about playing during the wilderness years. "we found interesting ways to lose games".

We are currently back in the Wilderness years. Population: Us.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kartanoman

Quote from: TDToomer on September 16, 2024, 11:16:48 AMIt was either Carson or Martin who said about playing during the wilderness years. "we found interesting ways to lose games".

We are currently back in the Wilderness years. Population: Us.

Us indeed!

I was still in single digits (NOTE: nine years old) when I walked past the Porta-Potties outside the entrances where the "Ticket Burning Ceremony" took place before the Rams' game in 1978. That was the week AFTER "The Fumble" and drunk fans were yelling obscenities at Wellington Mara, Andy Robustelli, John McVay, Joe P and Larry Csonka, and a bunch of other folks I didn't know at the time. Crazy behavior that actually scared me a bit that I stayed very close to my father in case anyone got violent. But they didn't, only pi$$ed off by crappy football for so many years that, looking back, they had every right to feel that way. I also attended the Cardinals' game, a couple of weeks later, a freezing cold day with snow squalls blowing snowflakes all over in the brilliant sunshine of the day. But it wasn't a sunshiny day for the Giants despite Randy Dean outsmarting the Cards' defense with the option play. They actually won that day but that was the game, in the second half, when the infamous plane flew over the stadium with the banner "15 Years of Lousy Football - We've Had Enough!" The stadium started rocking and all the drunk and angry fans were screaming at the top of their lungs. At that point, my father was disgusted by the whole scene and dragged me out of there and we went home and watched the end of the game there. He was a dignified gentleman who was never a protester like that, but quietly grumbled under his lip and prayed for better days. That's why I'll never forget season 1981 when Perkins helped turn the team around and that now famous OT win against the Cowboys in Giants Stadium with the entire house rocking allowed me to witness, for the first time, my old man excited (NOTE: I'd NEVER see him that excited before!) when he came home from the stadium with his work buddy. That was the most surreal experience in my entire life as a Giant fan at that point. The loser Giant image was shed by taking out the invincible Iggles a few weeks earlier, the Rams, Cardinals and the hated Cowboys to earn a playoff spot (NOTE: officially secured after the Jets beat the Packers the next day). Into unchartered waters for this kid who never knew what Giants and winners together looked like. It was a long journey with my old man and, looking back on it, with him having passed nine years ago, it's hard not get emotional about the ride all the way through their first two Super Bowl Championships.

I look at the hard times now and am not so bent out of shape about it as I was back then. My daughter and wife watch and, although the latter has witnessed the final two Super Bowl Championships, the former has only seen what we are seeing now, with the exception of their big come-from-behind win last year when the team was out here in Glendale. One day, they'll make it back and, hopefully, I'll still be there for my daughter to see it one final time before the Good Lord takes me home for good. If I could make it through "The Fumble," the "Ticket Burning Ceremony" and the "Plane Flying Over Giants Stadium," and see the glory of the Parcells years, as well as the Coughlin years, I'll be all right."

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)