News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Good thing the Giants got rid of that trouble maker Wink

Started by MightyGiants, September 15, 2024, 04:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

Quote from: Giant Jim on September 15, 2024, 06:36:49 PMDoes that include the drops?

So it's acceptable to play season after season averaging 1 TD a game and never like a 300 yard game once in awhile? All this from a top 15 paid QB? How many games are you going to win like that 19-21 points a game is a little on the low end in today's NFL.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Giant Jim on September 15, 2024, 05:58:25 PMI don't understand your comment. The Giant's offense only had the ball 22 minutes. You think if he had the ball another 8 minutes he would've reached 200? Look at the passes dropped.

You don't understand that I believe that 21 points is a winnable game? That is to say that the defense certainly could have played better but put forth an effort that is passable. The offense put forth a passable effort as well. However, passable for both gets you very little and there were plenty of plays left on the field on offense which can't reliably make throws outside of 10 yards downfield. I'm by no means killing the offense but just because it wasn't the abomination it was last week doesn't mean it was above-average, even if you give it 5 more minutes of possession.

Hadron

Hey - at least Jones finally has more TDs to his teammates instead of opponents!

Yeah, defense is clearly the issue. Not the fact that they were missing a kicker, dropping passes in crunch time, fumbling in critical situations, or continues to trot out a QB that looks like a deer in headlights despite solid O-Line play.

Does the defense need to play better? Absolutely. Giving up 200+ yards of rushing is awful.

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 15, 2024, 04:20:09 PMThe defense looks much better  /sarcasm/

You forget the Cowboy game already? He blitzed his way to a humiliating blow out.

Fletch

Quote from: Hadron on September 15, 2024, 07:08:27 PMHey - at least Jones finally has more TDs to his teammates instead of opponents!

Yeah, defense is clearly the issue. Not the fact that they were missing a kicker, dropping passes in crunch time, fumbling in critical situations, or continues to trot out a QB that looks like a deer in headlights despite solid O-Line play.

Does the defense need to play better? Absolutely. Giving up 200+ yards of rushing is awful.

Can the defense play better ? Sure I cannot argue with that. But if I had to rate the Defense overall I do not think that is the biggest concern. They didn't have a great day but, that is not the point.

It is pretty clear that oline of no oline -- this offense has a ceiling that is like 175 pass yards and 1 TD a game on a good da. So the defense has to pretty much play lights out every game basically?

kingm56

Quote from: madbadger on September 15, 2024, 07:14:19 PMYou forget the Cowboy game already? He blitzed his way to a humiliating blow out.

Yep...multiple bottom 5 defenses, but we're supposed to pretend we were better last year.  The def was atrocious under wink...I'm not sure why we're pretending otherwise. 

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: kingm56 on September 15, 2024, 07:18:19 PMYep...multiple bottom 5 defenses, but we're supposed to pretend we were better last year.  The def was atrocious under wink...I'm not sure why we're pretending otherwise.

Wink so great a DC he couldn't get another position in the NFL and his college defense is outside the top-50 in yards/play and total yards/game.

Giant Jim

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on September 15, 2024, 06:56:39 PMThat is to say that the defense certainly could have played better but put forth an effort that is passable.
I certainly don't understand this. What effort? The defense was horrible. The score would've been worse if not for pre-snap penalties. The Redskins didn't have to punt once. I believe they scored every single time they had the ball.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Giant Jim on September 15, 2024, 07:26:01 PMI certainly don't understand this. What effort? The defense was horrible. The score would've been worse if not for pre-snap penalties. The Redskins didn't have to punt once. I believe they scored every single time they had the ball.

You're far afield from an actual point. The defense would have been worse if not for pre-snap penalties? What about the horrible holding on Dru Phillips? Are you accounting for the effects of that? Or does it only work one way? Does the NFL determine a win by who punts less or who scores more points?

NFL teams should be able to score more than 21 points. Feel free to disagree.

T200

The same Wink that isn't employed by any of the 32 professional football teams? That Wink? The same guy that wore out his welcome in Baltimore and NY? The same defensive mastermind that cussed out his boss and stormed out of the building, ignoring calls from his GM? That guy?

Nah, I don't miss him at all.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

expatriot

Quote from: kingm56 on September 15, 2024, 05:18:16 PMYep - they should have retained the DC who produced a bottom 5 defense:

27th yards allowed
26th points allowed

Come on...

Didn't they replace him with a guy who had a lousy defense?

kingm56

Quote from: expatriot on September 15, 2024, 10:19:42 PMDidn't they replace him with a guy who had a lousy defense?

Is that the point made here?  The OP was indicating the Giants were better off with Wink.  I fundamentally disagree as he produced bottom 5 defenses.  Bowen bend but don't break philosophy was better than Winks defense:

11th in points allowed, giving up an average of 21.5 points per game.

23rd in yards per game at 351.4

Both are better than Wink; the Giants are on pace for a similar performance this year, which would be an improvement over both of Winks years.

MightyGiants

Say what you will about Wink, he NEVER had a game where the opponent ended every single drive with a score
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 16, 2024, 08:18:09 AMSay what you will about Wink, he NEVER had a game where the opponent ended every single drive with a score
I'm sure he wears that as a badge of honor. Maybe if he put that on his resume', he'd still be in the NFL.  :laugh:  :laugh:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 15, 2024, 04:20:09 PMThe defense looks much better  /sarcasm/

Rich: It's inconsistent to give (as we both do) Daniel Jones as much leeway as we've given him while at the same time not being patient enough to give the defense a break. It's a new defense plus a bunch of young men at several key positions. Regardless of the obvious continuing problems yesterday, a fair number of other problems have improved noticeably, IMO.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!