News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I saw improvement

Started by Ed Vette, September 15, 2024, 04:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

files58

The bar is really low when we look for nuggets(some improvement) among the ruins.

T200

I'm not in panic or fire mode. This is the second game with a new defensive boss and scheme, a new offensive play caller, and a 60% new offensive line with a new line coach, not to mention just the second full game where all of the starters have played together.

I'm OK giving the team the first 4-6 games to figure things out. Not one of us, especially me, expected the playoffs this year. So, if we're at a 6% chance of making them after this 0-2 start, that's still more of a chance than we gave them before the season started.

Many of us wanted to see improvement, mostly from the offensive line and moving the ball downfield. We got that, along with two TDs despite turning the ball over. A healthy Gano or even a catch by Slayton on the conversion gives us the win.

Last, aside from Gano, we finished two games without any significant injuries. We'll have a new kicker by Wednesday.

Let's kick some brownie ass.  :goteam:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Trench

I'm in fire mode.

Daboll has made these mistakes with injuries before!

He doesn't play Hyatt or go to him

He makes boneheaded challenges

His offense is predictable

His team is fatigued

He throws coaches under the bus.

The good:
- Oline excellent upgrade
- RB looks very good
- Pinnock getting there
- Phillips is a Dallas type steal
- Jones checked some boxes

The bad:
- Not using TE at all
- No pass rush
- Bend not break D
- Screen pass D
- Special Teams again n again
- Tackling high
- Jones balls many times were floating and even wobbly
- Deep passes way overthrown
- Nothing to Hyatt
- Nothing to RBs in the flat

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on September 15, 2024, 05:17:54 PMI'm nowhere as emotional as some who post on the game thread, but I must admit I am less optimistic as you are at the moment.

Ha! I just said "this could get to 1-5 in a hurry."

If that sounds even a tiny bit optimistic to you, man, we are even lower than rock bottom.

Messiah717

I think if you want to start making a real assessment it will be after next week.  Week one was a disaster and week two was a terrible loss to a terrible team.  We're things better than week one?  Sure, but what does that mean? 

DaveBrown74

I've been hearing some version of "too early to make a firm judgment", "need more time to gel", "it's a long season", "you can't judge a draft for at least three years", "you need to give him time to learn a whole new system", "you can't change a culture overnight", "something feels different about this training camp", etc etc etc for literal ages now.

One year from now, these comments will all sound the same. And likely two years from now too. And perhaps for a lot longer than that. As a fan base, we have grown more and more willing and able to accept losing and convinced ourselves that better times are literally just right around the corner.

kingm56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 15, 2024, 09:02:47 PMI've been hearing some version of "too early to make a firm judgment", "need more time to gel", "it's a long season", "you can't judge a draft for at least three years", "you need to give him time to learn a whole new system", "you can't change a culture overnight", "something feels different about this training camp", etc etc etc for literal ages now.

One year from now, these comments will all sound the same. And likely two years from now too. And perhaps for a lot longer than that. As a fan base, we have grown more and more willing and able to accept losing and convinced ourselves that better times are literally just right around the corner.

Spot on, Jeff. With the exception of Car, Wash and Seattle, it only gets more difficult from here.  These were supposed to be the games we won. 

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 15, 2024, 05:00:29 PMI'm certainly still engaged, but most thought we needed to go 2-0 to have a realistic chance of the playoffs. I never went that far myself, but to not win either one of these games isn't great. This could get to 1-5 in a hurry.
1-5? You think they are beating an NFL team?

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 15, 2024, 09:02:47 PMI've been hearing some version of "too early to make a firm judgment", "need more time to gel", "it's a long season", "you can't judge a draft for at least three years", "you need to give him time to learn a whole new system", "you can't change a culture overnight", "something feels different about this training camp", etc etc etc for literal ages now.

I don't think it's a matter of us being willing and able to accept losing. It's not our style. It's why we are more vocal after losses than wins.

Every coaching staff/regime is different and the circumstances they take over are different. Firing coaches after three seasons is not a recipe for success. The only consistency the organization develops is having to relearn a new coaching staff.

Despite the bad decisions, I'm not ready to give up on this coaching staff yet.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

Quote from: coggs on September 15, 2024, 09:10:28 PM1-5? You think they are beating an NFL team?

The Giants are better than Carolina.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: kingm56 on September 15, 2024, 09:16:02 PMThe Giants are better than Carolina.

Unfortunately they are also capable of losing to anyone.

kingm56

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on September 15, 2024, 09:21:23 PMUnfortunately they are also capable of losing to anyone.

That's fair; however, my money will be on our heroes to cover.  B Young is terrible!!

coggs

Quote from: kingm56 on September 15, 2024, 09:16:02 PMThe Giants are better than Carolina.
debatable.

edit:  With Andy Dalton now starting, I would say Carolina is better.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: coggs on September 15, 2024, 09:33:58 PMdebatable.

Bryce Young is an actually broken QB. People complain about what the Giants "did" to Daniel Jones (including the owner who hired all the people who did those things)... It's not even close.

expatriot