News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones - 16/28 178 Yards 2 TD - 0 Int 100 RTG

Started by sxdxca38, September 15, 2024, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT39

All you can ask is for your QB to give you a chance to win. He did that. If you judge a WB by his stats - then you're missing the big picture. Three things really hurt the offense yesterday.

1. The defense letting them score every possession and being in the field for 37:00.

2. Singletsrys fumble

3. Nabers drop.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: sxdxca38 on September 15, 2024, 07:21:40 PMwith 5 carries for an additional 32 yards, I thought he played a good game.

And, Malik Nabers 10 rec 127 yards 1 TD.

These guys have a good connection going on, and outside of the one dropped pass, Nabers was solid.

If Singletary doesn't fumble the ball, the Giants may be 1-1 right now.

Curious your thoughts?

Agree on everything, apart from the fumble from Singletary. I think you take it for granted that we would've scored on that drive, and that's everything BUT a given.

I think if Gano doesn't get hurt, we're looking at a 21 point rather than a 18 point score for us, not to mention at least another FG that would've been easily put us in front 24-18.

The Red Zone D was good. They didn't score one TD.

coggs

Quote from: MrGap92 on September 15, 2024, 11:50:30 PMJones didn't have many f ups today, but still far from a spectacular game by him. Not to mention he overthrew Nabers a few times and was locking onto him hard many plays.
Washington was dropping the safeties deep on most plays.  He wasn't going to complete deep balls.  Locking onto Nabers? Yeah, that will be a problem.  Cleveland probably going to double him all game next week and laugh as Jones doesnt know what to do.

EDjohnst1981

Jones wasn't the reason they lost yesterday. There was clear improvement from last week.

Schedule gets really hard, really soon. So we will see just how consistent this improvement is.

MightyGiants

Jones played okay.   Doesn't matter, though.  Many focused just on Jones in week one while not seeing the issues on defense and coaching.   Now, Jones played well, and everyone was forced to see the other major flaws in this team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: coggs on September 16, 2024, 07:20:54 AMWashington was dropping the safeties deep on most plays.  He wasn't going to complete deep balls.  Locking onto Nabers? Yeah, that will be a problem.  Cleveland probably going to double him all game next week and laugh as Jones doesnt know what to do.

Two deep safeties is how the entire league is playing this seasons. Teams without a viable TE to work the seems will struggle to produce a lot of yards.  Teams are going to need to run to force those safeties up.

sxdxca38

Quote from: kingm56 on September 15, 2024, 08:27:37 PMI didn't see Lawrence on your list. Also, couldn't I state if DJ didn't over throw Nabers by 15 yards, or miss him wide-open in the flat, the Giants win?  Why only focus on other errors? 

Fundamentally, I agree with Jeff.  DJ didn't play bad at all; for him, it was a good game...for him.  However, a similar performance over the next 5 weeks probably will fail to result in more than 1 win.  Let me put it another way, do you think the fans of the QBs you listed are starting positive threads about their QBs performance, or are they happy they won, despite their QBs having off weeks? That's the point DaveBrown making. 

I'm sure they are happy with their performances, except for Lawrence.

Do I consider DJ's performance to be great? No

However, was it good enough to win this game, absolutely!

If we extrapolated his numbers from this game over a 17-game season we would get

3026 yards 34 TD 100 RTG 63.3 QBR

544 rushing yards

His QBR and RTG would put him in the top ten.

MrGap92

Quote from: sxdxca38 on September 16, 2024, 09:04:28 AMI'm sure they are happy with their performances, except for Lawrence.

Do I consider DJ's performance to be great? No

However, was it good enough to win this game, absolutely!

If we extrapolated his numbers from this game over a 17-game season we would get

3026 yards 34 TD 100 RTG 63.3 QBR

544 rushing yards

His QBR and RTG would put him in the top ten.

What was his extrapolation last week?

VanPelt

I think what we saw yesterday is what Jones is, he is a game manager. He can play fine when everything around him is clicking.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: VanPelt on September 16, 2024, 09:30:49 AMI think what we saw yesterday is what Jones is, he is a game manager. He can play fine when everything around him is clicking.

And the Giants need more to be truly competitive. Game manager with a top-tier running game? Fine (it convinced Mara to give him $40MM). Game manager when you're supposed to be the guy carrying the franchise? Can't be judged at the same level. To my eye, this was a very clean OL game and there was nothing dynamic about our passer. Not close deep, intermediate was weak as well. How do the Giants challenge defenses when they can only reliably complete passes at 6 yards or less?

JT39

Again we had 6 drives yesterday:

Three TDs
One ending in a RB fumble
One ending in a WR drop
One 3 and out.

Again looking at stats is a poor way to evaluate how one plays. He made plays when we needed too. Unfortunately we had two very critical plays and a horrific defense that dd NOTHING to help the offense.

If Jones gives us a chance to win every week - what more do you want?

MrGap92

Quote from: JT39 on September 16, 2024, 09:45:43 AMAgain we had 6 drives yesterday:

Three TDs
One ending in a WR drop
One 3 and out.

Again looking at stats is a poor way to evaluate how one plays. He made plays when we needed too. Unfortunately we had two very critical plays and a horrific defense that dd NOTHING to help the offense.

A QB that gives actual wins, not a chance at them.

He did an OK job at managing the game, minus a few overthrows that should have been easy completes.

But everything else around him on offense isn't always going to go as well, and they were playing a lesser opponent, when those things are not the case, we are back to terrible play from him.

Messiah717

Again, Jones played alright against a terrible team.  When he strings something together then talk about it. If he goes out and is complete crap in Cleveland then what?  Oh atleast he did ok in Washington.

Fletch

I still cannot get over the fact that a so-called professional NFL QB obviously is incapable of sitting in a pocket and not just lock in on one receiver -- which in this case worked out well -- because he got open a lot -- and still be regarded as a good QB and still put his team in a position to win. It goes to show that this team is not at all competitive and neither are the Washington whatevers.

I am sorry but win or lose ; good stats or bad; that is just not what I would consider to be a starting QB in the NFL.

LennG

Quote from: JT39 on September 16, 2024, 09:45:43 AMAgain we had 6 drives yesterday:

Three TDs
One ending in a WR drop
One 3 and out.

Against maybe the weakest defense after ours, Jones didn't screw up.
Teams will soon notice all he does is look for Nabors and take that away as much as possible, then what?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss