News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ronnie Barnes

Started by MightyGiants, September 16, 2024, 08:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Jim

They get new general managers, but they don't have full control over all football matters. The Mara's always had dead wood on their payroll. Andy Robustelli was stuck with all the check collectors from the 60's like Ray Walsh and Jim Trimble. Even George Young had to put up with Jim Lee Howell among others. Schoen has been here long enough to see and learn the medical end enough and to seek help assembling a modern and complete medical and training staff. Barnes is John taking care of his father's friend.

LennG

To me Barnes has been here so long he still has that old school mentality, if you can stand and walk you're good to go. That thinking is so far from today's game and if Daboll cannot assess that just another reason why he needs to now out.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on September 16, 2024, 07:10:47 PMTo me Barnes has been here so long he still has that old school mentality, if you can stand and walk you're good to go. That thinking is so far from today's game and if Daboll cannot assess that just another reason why he needs to now out.

So Daboll should be fired because our head trainer is not competent?

Woody

Ronnie Barnes should have retired three years ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 16, 2024, 07:32:46 PMSo Daboll should be fired because our head trainer is not competent?

No. Daboll demonstrated an inability to manage a very real and tangible risk before kickoff yesterday in which he greatly underestimated the probability for it coming to fruition (i.e. Gano actually further injuring his hamstring) coupled with underestimating its overall consequence, or impact to the team (i.e. playing all game without a competent kicker). Further, leaving an idle roster spot which could have been used to activate Jude McAtamney to mitigate or avoid the risk altogether.

As I mentioned earlier today, Bill Parcells learned this lesson with Haji-Sheikh the hard way. Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

Funny, Ronnie was there on both occasions and neither turned out especially well. So, if you're in the market for medical advice on a kicker's hamstrings, knowing what you now know, do you REALLY want to hear what Ronnie has to say? I mean, nice guy, heart of gold and everything, but he's 0 for 2 on kickers' hamstrings spanning some peoples' lifetimes!

You've heard it here from the retired kicker himself; replacement hardware and all!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

spiderblue43

Mason Crosby, Kart? Wasn't it?

kartanoman

Quote from: spiderblue43 on September 16, 2024, 09:57:52 PMMason Crosby, Kart? Wasn't it?

Yes sir!!! Thank you for remembering! He can get the job done!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 16, 2024, 07:32:46 PMSo Daboll should be fired because our head trainer is not competent?

What I said was just ANOTHER reason not THE reason
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Painter

C'mon Folks! Ronnie Barnes has been with the Giants for 48 years because the Mara's have given him a lifetime sinecure. While one might think that having continued to promote him to what is now that of Senior VP of Medical Services, they could hardly have done more. But we would be wrong as he is the only non-GM, HC, or Player that they have elevated to the Giants Ring of Honor along with guys like Tittle, Gifford, and LT. Get the picture?

But then maybe not quite, as we don't really don't know whether he is the actual decision-maker or a messenger, or now little more than a bystander. Unless, of course, you have a stick-up-your-ass where he's concerned. But even so, any Ronnie Barnes fault begins and ends with the Maras.

As for failing to activate Gano's backup, that mistake was Daboll's and no one else's.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on September 17, 2024, 11:49:26 AMC'mon Folks! Ronnie Barnes has been with the Giants for 48 years because the Mara's have given him a lifetime sinecure. While one might think that having continued to promote him to what is now that of Senior VP of Medical Services, they could hardly have done more. But we would be wrong as he is the only non-GM, HC, or Player that they have elevated to the Giants Ring of Honor along with guys like Tittle, Gifford, and LT. Get the picture?

But then maybe not quite, as we don't really don't know whether he is the actual decision-maker or a messenger, or now little more than a bystander. Unless, of course, you have a stick-up-your-ass where he's concerned. But even so, any Ronnie Barnes fault begins and ends with the Maras.

As for failing to activate Gano's backup, that mistake was Daboll's and no one else's.

Cheers!

Larry,

We still see Ronnie Barnes on the side-lines and field on gameday, and we saw him in Schoen's office on Hard Knocks.  It's sort of hard to buy into a suggestion that he is just a figurehead.

In my 35-year career in Emergency Medical Services (that ended in my late 50s) I found three things harder to do the older I got:

1)  Miss a significant portion of my sleep on duty night

2) While I was still strong enough to lift the very heavy patients, I paid for it the next day as I got older

3) AND RELATED TO THIS POST-  It was difficult to constantly relearn and learn new things as the medical field was constantly evolving.   I still learn new things, but I find relearning them more difficult.  You are trying to replace long-term memories with recent ones, which is difficult.

I can't help but wonder how a man in his 70s is relearning and updating things he thought he knew to be correct for decades.   It's just a very challenging task.

I guess you could get my charm and your people skills, but if you don't stay current in an ever-evolving field, your results will be less than optimal. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DragonSoul

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 16, 2024, 08:03:39 AMGame one- tells the Giants staff Gunner is healthy (after a groin injury), and the guy reinjured his groin in warmups.

Game two- Ronnie tells the Giants Gano it is good to go to game two.  Reporters observe Gano moving gingerly in warmups, and then he gets hurt (supposedly with a hamstring) in the opening kickoff.

The Giants have consistently been one of the most injured teams (with players taking forever to return and often reinjuring themselves upon their return) for over the past decade.

If the Giants ever want a chance to compete, they need to retire Ronnie Barnes instead of putting him in the ring of honor.
Been saying this for a long time, maybe a decade if not more. He should have been gone long ago. Our team is always injured, with maybe several exceptions through the decade plus.

The all are proud of him, but I don't see how/why. One change that should've made and never did that costs the team.

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2024, 01:20:48 PMLarry,

We still see Ronnie Barnes on the side-lines and field on gameday, and we saw him in Schoen's office on Hard Knocks.  It's sort of hard to buy into a suggestion that he is just a figurehead.

In my 35-year career in Emergency Medical Services (that ended in my late 50s) I found three things harder to do the older I got:

2) While I was still strong enough to lift the very heavy patients, I paid for it the next day as I got older

3) AND RELATED TO THIS POST-  It was difficult to constantly relearn and learn new things as the medical field was constantly evolving.   I still learn new things, but I find relearning them more difficult.  You are trying to replace long-term memories with recent ones, which is difficult.

I can't help but wonder how a man in his 70s is relearning and updating things he thought he knew to be correct for decades.   It's just a very challenging task.

I guess you could get my charm and your people skills, but if you don't stay current in an ever-evolving field, your results will be less than optimal.

What I highlighted above, my wife, who is a Physician Assistant, will back you 100% on the boldfaced text. Not only do currency requirements evolve, but the agencies who manage the qualification/certification requirements change them every few years which add additional challenge and frustration to long-time professionals in that medical discipline. It's not a knock on the individual at all. That's the reality that these State Medical Boards and Medical Departments of Universities are pushing on new students and all certified MD, DO, PA-C and other medical professionals must keep up with currency requirements over a look-back period (e.g. "X" CEUs every calendar year then take the re-certification examination every "Y" number of years).

So, Rich @MightyGiants is spot-on with that comment and I don't have to speak to point #2 for those of us on the wrong side of 50!

As for #1, when you live a life of stress in perpetuum, you sometimes do not realize what living on two to three hours of sleep per night will do to you until you afford your body to fall back into its natural biorhythm. I don't remember how, but this past summer, I managed to do just that where I stopped getting up at 4 AM (NOTE: sometimes as early as 2 AM), work 'til 6 or 7 PM, shower, eat, conk out, rinse and repeat. I woke up when my body told me to get up, which was at the crack of dawn (NOTE: about 4:45 AM in the summer in PHX), get myself together, tell the boss you're only getting nine hours out of me today, home by 4 PM, do some chores, hang out with my wife and youngest kid, go to bed early, sleep deeper than I ever had before in years. What a revelation! Of course, that all came to an end when the kid started school the beginning of August. But it showed me the impact of falling into a stressful pattern when work controls my life, just as it does every Giant staffer, including Ronnie Barnes.

Maybe Joe Schoen should ask Brandon Brown to establish a RIO (Risk, Issue, Opportunity) Management Program to capture and manage Operational risks and issues, as well as opportunities. Something such as the kicking fiasco, this past week, could have been elevated as a good candidate for a risk and managed properly using RIO Best Practices. In my mind, despite it sounding a bit formal and business-like, it would have allowed the key members to put it on the table and work it so that the best managed plan going forward would have been decided on. RIO Management is an excellent method for working across multiple functions in an organization.

But now that it is water under the bridge, and history has repeated itself, the only thing left to do is capture what happened as a Lesson Learned and make a recommendation, should the circumstance occur in the future, what would they do differently.

Peace!

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2024, 01:20:48 PMLarry,

3) AND RELATED TO THIS POST-  It was difficult to constantly relearn and learn new things as the medical field was constantly evolving.  I still learn new things, but I find relearning them more difficult.  You are trying to replace long-term memories with recent ones, which is difficult.

I can't help but wonder how a man in his 70s is relearning and updating things he thought he knew to be correct for decades.  It's just a very challenging task.

I can't dispute what you say about Ronnie Barnes presence, Rich nor should I not have doubts that, having once been praised and honored and feted throughout the League for so many years, that he hasn't lost a critical step or quite a bit more.

My point is that we really don't know his significance in decision-making today nor should he be blamed for Daboll's lame decision re PK on Sunday. Moreover, if Barnes's growing incompetence is felt to be the cause of the team's above average injury history, the blame is to be placed squarely on John Mara and his family's history of intransigence.

Cheers!

coggs

So, it is not possible the conversation went like this

Daboll: How is he?
Barnes: He says he is good to go, but he doesn't look right.
Daboll: Graham, you good?
Daboll: Ok then.

Tiki mentioned yesterday he thinks the deadline to activate someone is about 2 hours before as that is when the tv guys get the info. 

He was hobbling Friday.  He had to end his warm-up early and Gillan started warming-up as a kicker.  Daboll shouldnt need a medical degree to know something was wrong and with Gano's history should have had the practice squad guy activated.

kingm56

Quote from: coggs on September 17, 2024, 08:08:56 PMSo, it is not possible the conversation went like this

Daboll: How is he?
Barnes: He says he is good to go, but he doesn't look right.
Daboll: Graham, you good?
Daboll: Ok then.

Tiki mentioned yesterday he thinks the deadline to activate someone is about 2 hours before as that is when the tv guys get the info. 

He was hobbling Friday.  He had to end his warm-up early and Gillan started warming-up as a kicker.  Daboll shouldnt need a medical degree to know something was wrong and with Gano's history should have had the practice squad guy activated.

Even if Gano was ok at game time, he could easily aggravate the injury under game conditions; the failure to not activate an insurance policy was a failure of the HC.