News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants way is not to bench Jones to off-set injury guarantee

Started by Fletch, September 16, 2024, 09:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

Knowing as we do that the Mara's are meddlers and always have been, it is not at all that clear to me that Schoen Daboll are quite so responsible for Daniel Jones's current deal as some would suggest.

The way I see it, Jones pulled a rabbit out of his helmet with 10 wins including a playoff win in 2022, their first as GM and HC, which might well have been all that John Mara needed to climb onboard his Gettleman (and his) vindication train. That was something he wasn't able to do with the three previous HC hires: McAdoo, Shurmur, and Judge.

Mara may not be an Attention Whore like Jerry Jones but don't for a minute think he doesn't have his thumb in the Giants pie. Not an excuse, just an observation.

Cheers!

Fletch

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on September 16, 2024, 01:39:49 PMPardon me guys  but I find this thread TODAY a little out of sync

DJ wasnt the cause of the loss yesterday

Dumpster Dan

You really think so ? Look at it another way; he also not the reason they won.

And at 0-2 and clearly not the type of team like Bengals that can rattle off 10 wins in a row; make the playoffs as a wildcard ; and win a Lombardi; tough choices have to be made.   

Meanwhile whatevs the excuse could be what do we have in devito

DaveBrown74

Jones played perfectly decently yesterday, but the bottom line is that the team is 0-2, and right now Jones is 26th in QB rating, 28th in yards per attempt, and 23rd in QBR. The O line has played better this year so far, and he clearly has an elite weapon at wide receiver. I think it's reasonable to say he's a meaningful part of why they are off to an 0-2 start.

Given that, I doubt they'd face the Spanish Inquisition if they decided to go in another direction at the QB position next week.

Do I actually think they'll do that? No.

JT39

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on September 16, 2024, 01:39:49 PMPardon me guys  but I find this thread TODAY a little out of sync

DJ wasnt the cause of the loss yesterday

Dumpster Dan

Dan,

Daniel Jones played well above what he needed to do to win. Some fans have a hard enough time to admit when he plays well.

6 drives that led to :

3 TDs
One fumble by our RB
One drop by our best player on fourth down
One three and out.

I am not sure what else he was suppose to do. But no turnovers, 1 sack, and constantly moving the ball is pretty much a successful day.

katkavage

Quote from: Fletch on September 16, 2024, 06:30:11 PMYou really think so ? Look at it another way; he also not the reason they won.

And at 0-2 and clearly not the type of team like Bengals that can rattle off 10 wins in a row; make the playoffs as a wildcard ; and win a Lombardi; tough choices have to be made. 

Tough choices would have meant trading Barkley and McKinney at the deadline last year and taking anything in return. They might have got a couple of extra draft picks and lost a couple more games maybe putting them in position to get Daniels or Maye. But no. Not the Giants.

Fletch

Quote from: katkavage on September 16, 2024, 06:43:40 PMTough choices would have meant trading Barkley and McKinney at the deadline last year and taking anything in return. They might have got a couple of extra draft picks and lost a couple more games maybe putting them in position to get Daniels or Maye. But no. Not the Giants.

They also have a fan base that pays a lot of money to watch something decent on the field. Barkley provided that— whether short sighted or not. Jones pretty much provides what a journeyman ; north of 30 back up provides. Heck you could have signed Carr for less a better QB. You could have gotten Browning off the Bengals. Sooner or later it has to admitted that the Daniel Jones experiment is pretty much over . Yes I guess Daniel jones played well for Daniel jones standards last week. It's pretty clear the real Jones is week 1 jones . Are you contending for anything ? Are you a top 10 team in a playoff hunt and a realistic contender? No , why pay jones top 10 money then?

Painter

However, we choose to spin it, the Giants will be looking to Draft DJ's successor next year. The question is not whether, but when will Mara say it's okay to sit him before something happens to trigger his injury guarantee?

Cheers!

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: Fletch on September 16, 2024, 06:30:11 PMYou really think so ? Look at it another way; he also not the reason they won.

Yes I really think so--I was just saying that there have been plenty of times and plenty of threads linking DJ to the Giants abysmal record lately but yesterday wasnt one of them  IMHO--Start with the HC, Gano, JS, fumbles, drops,  in any order you choose---and then Add DJ to the list

Dumpster Dan

kingm56

If the Giants go 0-4, they are virtually eliminated from the playoffs and have cause to bench DJ.  At this point, going 0-7 seems like a real possibility; on paper only Seattle seems like a game they could reasonably win.  Regardless, benching DJ until they're 0-4 or 1 and 6 seems premature.

Fletch

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on September 16, 2024, 09:37:43 PMYes I really think so--I was just saying that there have been plenty of times and plenty of threads linking DJ to the Giants abysmal record lately but yesterday wasnt one of them  IMHO--Start with the HC, Gano, JS, fumbles, drops,  in any order you choose---and then Add DJ to the list

Dumpster Dan

It doesn't matter whether or not Jones played well or not yesterday. The whole point is that 0-2 is pretty much 0-2. And by now there can be no doubt about anything concerning Jones any more. The last thing this team needs is to stuck with 15 per cent cap hit on a oft-injured Jones who isn't that good with a stud WR or a decent o-line on a team that is obviously not a good football team.

I doubt Dabol is going any where. I really have no idea what kind of coach he is going to be. Really the kicker ? I also don't like the over emphasis on drops. Since Evan Engram days ... there is just too much emphasis on that. I have seen the 9ers play; they drop passes all the time. Kittle just says "my fault" jogs back to the huddle and they run another play like nothing happened. Ever since coach Garrett decided to try and make Jones a serviceable QB and, go ultra conservative -- for subsequent coaches to follow suit -- have dropped passes become like the end of the world.

Dumpster Dan

Please understand  I am not defending DJ   its just my opinion that he wasnt the cause of the loss YESTERDAY

Dumpster Dan

Dumpster Dan

I would like to ask an Eagle fan if he is happy that Barkley just dropped a pass

Dumpster Dan

Fletch

You're nitpicking little things in a passive aggressive way to try and prove some point, which I do not know what it is except, maybe Daniel Jones can be like a Joe Burrow and rattle off like 10 wins in a row and the Giants can be like the Bengals and be a playoff team despite being 0-2? In my view, this is obviously the same old conservative, bad offense they were last year. Maybe the problem is we are not in agreement on that.

The point I am making on a fundamental level is a QB on a bloated contract --which should be addressed sooner rather than later-- before even more damage is done-- makes no sense on a not very promising team. Kickers can be replaced easily, and defenses can be addressed in free agency. Even a knucklehead like McAdoo proved that. Those things can be easily fixed. Having a QB on that contract -- especially if hurt -- is really going to be harmful to the cap and this team. That is the point.

Drops happen, and QBs who play well still end up jettisoned because of money they are owed -- like Kirk Cousins had to walk from the Vikings. The lesson to walk away from last night was what a QB like Cousins making a mere 5 million more than Jones can do. And was readily available to the Giants in free agency I might add. SAying "see Barkley dropped a pass and The Eagles should have won, just like Daniel Jones played well and had a drop and should have won and be 1-1. See, see ..." that is not really helpful. This team could very easily be 1-4 soon.

At the end of the day Barkley is a good football player, Heck he might even fumble and cost the Igles another game. But at the end of the day, they are going somewhere and have a good team. The Giants do not. So many want to say Barkley on a 10+ mil contract annually makes no sense here. So why does Jones on 40 mil contract make sense (especially that contract with guaranteed money on  an oft-injured player)? At least Barkley is actually a good football player.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: JT39 on September 16, 2024, 06:43:09 PMDan,

Daniel Jones played well above what he needed to do to win. Some fans have a hard enough time to admit when he plays well.

6 drives that led to :

3 TDs
One fumble by our RB
One drop by our best player on fourth down
One three and out.

I am not sure what else he was suppose to do. But no turnovers, 1 sack, and constantly moving the ball is pretty much a successful day.

I agree, this one isn't on DJ.

This one is on the staff for not elevating a Kicker from the PS to cover off for Gano, and on the D where they let the opponent hit its own Red Zone on pretty much every drive they had (eventough they kept them out of the End Zone).
Generally, I think those were the main reasons why the Giants lost and didn't win.

JT39

Barkley is a losing football player.

Always was, always will be. Best thing that team ever did was let him walk...