News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Gano out for "weeks"

Started by MightyGiants, September 16, 2024, 01:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

Why work out new kickers.

I like the strategy of leaving the kicker on the practice squad.  Really screws with the other teams head.  Maybe they will even laugh so hard we can convert a 2 point conversion.

Added benefit, with no pesky PK in uniform, we only need to now dress 51 and can save even more money. 
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

spiderblue43

So, we will be Waiting for Gano again. Put that one on Dumboll's epitaph.

:surrender:

GordonGekko80

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 16, 2024, 01:05:20 PMhttps://x.com/RalphVacchiano/status/1835723014236786846

Based on where he had the ice bag, I'd say it was a Hamstring Tendom tear.

That's a 6-8 weeks injury at best.

MrGap92

Why not just play Jude on the PS?

Why keep him if you dont use him

TDToomer

I don't see anything wrong with bringing in some street free agent kickers to try out. If Jude beats them out he will get the job. If he doesn't we will still have him on the PS as insurance.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MrGap92

Quote from: TDToomer on September 16, 2024, 02:34:42 PMI don't see anything wrong with bringing in some street free agent kickers to try out. If Jude beats them out he will get the job. If he doesn't we will still have him on the PS as insurance.

If they can't trust him to be a backup kicker, he is a waste of a PS spot

kartanoman

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on September 16, 2024, 02:09:03 PMBased on where he had the ice bag, I'd say it was a Hamstring Tendom tear.

That's a 6-8 weeks injury at best.

Best-case scenario, indeed!

Gano's injury looked eerily Ali-Haji-Sheikh-like, to me. The Sheikh injured his hamstring in Week #2 of the 1985 season and never returned. He made it to training camp 1986, re-injured the hamstring and was let go by the Giants for good. I think he went on to play for Atlanta that season and was part of the 1987 Champion Redskins.

Personally, I will be shocked if we see him again this season.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: MrGap92 on September 16, 2024, 02:41:11 PMIf they can't trust him to be a backup kicker, he is a waste of a PS spot

Agreed! He looked pretty good to me in the pre-season and his 49-yard FG attempt was down the middle with plenty to spare. In addition, he's played multiple codes of football around the world.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 16, 2024, 02:51:54 PMhttps://x.com/ProFootballDoc/status/1835753258457104893

Just guessing, but I suspect a reason they have not IR'd him is the fact that he has the biggest 2024 cap hit of any kicker in the league (which is frankly a bit embarrassing IMO).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/position/kicker/_/year/2024/table/active/sort/cap_total

AYM

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 16, 2024, 05:14:44 PMJust guessing, but I suspect a reason they have not IR'd him is the fact that he has the biggest 2024 cap hit of any kicker in the league (which is frankly a bit embarrassing IMO).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/position/kicker/_/year/2024/table/active/sort/cap_total

Way to go, Schoen.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 16, 2024, 05:14:44 PMJust guessing, but I suspect a reason they have not IR'd him is the fact that he has the biggest 2024 cap hit of any kicker in the league (which is frankly a bit embarrassing IMO).

What does this have to do with the price of crude oil in Saudi Arabia? In other words layman's terms as to why his cap hit would prevent him from being placed on the IR. The kicker replacing him would be near league minimum right?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on September 16, 2024, 08:10:15 PMWhat does this have to do with the price of crude oil in Saudi Arabia? In other words layman's terms as to why his cap hit would prevent him from being placed on the IR. The kicker replacing him would be near league minimum right?

It wouldn't for any technical reason. More just that the Giants gave this guy a big commitment. If their docs said he will only need 2-3 weeks off I suspect they don't want him to miss even one unnecessary extra game given what they're paying him. More of an embarrassment thing than anything else. And it was just a theory.