News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should Giants Trade For Bryce Young?

Started by Philosophers, September 17, 2024, 06:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 22, 2024, 07:03:28 PMYou can't compare Young to those guys. Smith and (especially) Mayfield both had much less bad starts to their careers than Young. Especially Mayfield, who gave Barkley a serious run for his money for OROY in 2018.

Young's start to his career has been more like a Zack Wilson or Josh Rosen. Nothing like Geno's or Mayfield's.

If anything Darnold is probably a somewhat better example but you didn't bring him up.

The issue with Young is that if you're going to be that size in the NFL, you need to be an absolutely elite talent. Or at least have a lot of athleticism that can make up for the lack of size or arm strength.
I said "the guy in Minnesota" meaning Darnold's resurrection with a quality offensive coach and organization. Though Carolina won yesterday, they might be the worst organization in the NFL now that Snyder is out of the league. Too early to say he is a bust. He needs to sit somewhere, not Carolina, and grow as a backup first. It may not work out for him, but I'm not saying he's done after one year and two games.

TDToomer

Come on look at what Andy Dalton did with the same exact personnel. He made the Panthers look like a functional NFL offense. He's a 15 year veteran who may not play beyond this season. This IS the best spot for Bryce Young to be in. He's learning the NFL QB position the old fashioned way. Sitting. The Panthers may have the worst Owner in the NFL but they absolutely made the right move here (not that anyone is arguing otherwise).
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

katkavage

Quote from: TDToomer on Today at 09:02:05 AMCome on look Andy Dalton did with the same exact personnel. He made the Panthers look like a functional NFL offense. He's a 15 year veteran who may not play beyond this season. This IS the best spot for Bryce Young to be in. He's learning the NFL QB position the old fashioned way. Sitting. The Panthers may have the worst Owner in the NFL but they absolutely made the right move here (not that anyone is arguing otherwise).
The best place for a rookie QB (or struggling young one) is on the sidelines Watching and learning. Very very rare a rookie QB comes to a bad team an immediately turns it around. Stroud was the rare exception.