News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Curious About Chargers This Season

Started by Philosophers, September 18, 2024, 09:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Through week 2, Jim Harbaugh has the Chargers at 2-0 with the Offense ranked 9th and the Defense ranked 2nd. Great early success.

Big fan of getting experienced Head Coaches with repetitive record of success.  While a rising coordinator may get you occasional success, ending up with misses seems to be the norm.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on September 18, 2024, 09:16:12 AMThrough week 2, Jim Harbaugh has the Chargers at 2-0 with the Offense ranked 9th and the Defense ranked 2nd. Great early success.

Big fan of getting experienced Head Coaches with repetitive record of success.  While a rising coordinator may get you occasional success, ending up with misses seems to be the norm.

I agree. I'm not a fan of the "flavor of the year" which Daboll and other "hot" assistants so often are and have no head coaching experience. For the record, I wanted Flores who had head coaching experience and actually won with not much talent at Miami. But that shipped passed and here we are.

MrGap92

But you can't get head coaching experience without being a head coach, many retreads don't often succeed.

H-Town G-Fan

How did Pay Shurmur work out for the Giants? Any single instance is just going to be anecdotal and there's plenty of examples of seasoned head coaches failing (hence why they were available in the first place).

I have no issue with the Giants getting first time head coaches. The issue to me is raiding the wrong coaching trees. I'd be looking at the Rams and 49ers assistants, not New England and Buffalo.

Philosophers

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on September 18, 2024, 10:03:40 AMHow did Pay Shurmur work out for the Giants? Any single instance is just going to be anecdotal and there's plenty of examples of seasoned head coaches failing (hence why they were available in the first place).

I have no issue with the Giants getting first time head coaches. The issue to me is raiding the wrong coaching trees. I'd be looking at the Rams and 49ers assistants, not New England and Buffalo.

What did I write?  Repetitive record of success.  Where did Shurmur have that as a HC?  Nowhere.  Never should have been considered.

Hadron

I don't think anyone else really want the job when Shurmur took over. Whoever took that role was setup to lose.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Philosophers on September 18, 2024, 10:07:22 AMWhat did I write?  Repetitive record of success.  Where did Shurmur have that as a HC?  Nowhere.  Never should have been considered.

Who are these coaches with repetitive records of success you speak about that are available? Sure, Harbaugh... but he took years to return to the NFL for a specific scenario with a young franchise QB. Is there anyone like that out there the Giants can appeal to? And I don't care about Belichik because I think he's cooked after he ran New England into the ground for years.

Look at re-tread hires from this past offseason: Falcons hired Raheem Morris (a failure in Tampa Bay) and the Commanders hired Dan Quinn (a failure in Atlanta). Still a lot of football to be played to see how they turn out, but they were certainly not what I would call coaches with "repetitive records of success." All other hires were first time coaches. No one even bothered to bring in as head coach Ron Rivera or Mike Vrabel, and they have some success in their history.

Let's go to 2022: Panthers hired Frank Reich, a head coach with some success... They fired him before he even finished the season. Broncos hired Sean Payton--likely the most accomplished head coach available in years with a Superbowl victory under his belt--and they went 8-9 last season and are now 0-2.

I get the concept--I really do. The idea is if they had success before, they can do it again. But there's similarly a reason they're available. I see it as extremely conservative and based on assumptions I don't really agree with. The Giants aren't going to go anywhere playing it safe in my opinion.

I also think if you're going to say that rising coordinators miss you need to back it up. If they miss at the same rate that re-tread hires do, what is the difference? And what if when they hit they hit bigger? Without this information I don't know how you can say one is better than the other just because it feels that way.

uconnjack8

Yes the Chargers are 2-0.  Not sure I put much into the fact that they gave up 3 points to the Panthers and 10 to the Gardner Minshew led Raiders.  And yes I know the Raiders won in Baltimore.  Just not ready to anoint the Chargers yet.  They look better but were previously coached by one of the worst decision makers I have seen at the NFL level. 

Plenty to learn about this team over the next two weeks against the Steelers and Chiefs. 

LennG

The Giants have won when they seem to have disciplinarians as HCs, Parcels and Coughlin. Why, I can't tell you but if I were in Maras ear e would have BB on my speed dial.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

JT39

Jim Harbaugh brought an instant identity to the Chargers.

Can anyone name out identity in our last 4 head coaches?

Bob In PA

I'm surprised Harbaugh left Michigan. Coaching college is WAY easier (and more fun) than coaching NFL. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Quote from: Bob In PA on Today at 11:18:46 AMI'm surprised Harbaugh left Michigan. Coaching college is WAY easier (and more fun) than coaching NFL. Bob

I am not sure that is true Bob.  College is 365 day job with recruiting plus dealing mow with 19 year old millionaire star athlete children.

JH really wants a shot at winning a SB ring.  Losing to his brother is something he cant get past.  He even said, "until he won the NC at Michigan, he felt he had to sit at the kid's table and not the adult's table with his dad and brother."

uconnjack8

Quote from: JT39 on September 18, 2024, 11:52:11 AMJim Harbaugh brought an instant identity to the Chargers.

Can anyone name out identity in our last 4 head coaches?

Identity of those teams has been finding ways to lose.