News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is it worth to keep jones next year

Started by ralphpal1, September 18, 2024, 01:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on Today at 11:03:17 AMTo be fair, he hasn't done his part to learn how to improve either with things within his control. He hasn't made improvements on:

1. Touch passes
2. Audibles
3. Bird dogging WR
4. Throwing balls away
5. Sliding feet first
6. Deep passes
7. Progressions

Have you considered the constant change in schemes and coaching staff?  How many play-callers has he played under?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm in the camp of, "DJ must shine and show great stuff...or suck so badly that it's a no-brainer, and we head to the draft for a QB"...nothing in between. It's prove it time for Jones. I won't make any jumps to conclusion until the season has unfolded. I just hope the Giants turn it around and surprise everyone and look like a promising winning team, or be so bad we end up with the first pick in the draft...again, nothing in between...which is likely what we'll get  :(
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

MrGap92

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 11:04:57 AMHave you considered the constant change in schemes and coaching staff?  How many play-callers has he played under?

That is fair, and it certainly has impacted him and the team in more ways than one, it is a valid point

But some of those examples are basic fundamentals, which is what is concerning for me.

todge

Outside of Daniels, the rookie QB class this year has been poor. Throw in the Young failure and we have a bitter reminder that finding a franchise QB in the Draft is very difficult. There are many teams in "QB hell" and the Giants would enter that group. Cautionary tale to those who believe that the Draft is the answer.

I think we forget that Jones was a rookie success. Throwing 24 TD passes in 12 games and rising to 5th in QBR. Jones was on his way to breaking NFL rookie records until his offense disintegrated around him.

Mara (and Mighty Giants) were right - "We did all we could to ruin him". Injuries, poor weapons, the constant battering from abysmal offensive lines and a variety of coaching changes hindered his development.

I think we should let the year play out. Jones still gives us the best option to win. Let's see where this team is at the end of the season. That would help the Giants make the most informed decision regarding Jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 11:04:57 AMHave you considered the constant change in schemes and coaching staff?  How many play-callers has he played under?

Yes. But these are all things within his cognitive control

Trench

Quote from: todge on Today at 11:31:01 AMOutside of Daniels, the rookie QB class this year has been poor. Throw in the Young failure and we have a bitter reminder that finding a franchise QB in the Draft is very difficult. There are many teams in "QB hell" and the Giants would enter that group. Cautionary tale to those who believe that the Draft is the answer.

I think we forget that Jones was a rookie success. Throwing 24 TD passes in 12 games and rising to 5th in QBR. Jones was on his way to breaking NFL rookie records until his offense disintegrated around him.

Mara (and Mighty Giants) were right - "We did all we could to ruin him". Injuries, poor weapons, the constant battering from abysmal offensive lines and a variety of coaching changes hindered his development.

I think we should let the year play out. Jones still gives us the best option to win. Let's see where this team is at the end of the season. That would help the Giants make the most informed decision regarding Jones.

A lot of good points here Todge and worth contemplating. The issue becomes if we continue to see the NFC East teams lose games, will we be able to win with a QB change (assuming games are close)

uconnjack8

Save the salary cap money and cut ties. 

MrGap92

Quote from: todge on Today at 11:31:01 AMOutside of Daniels, the rookie QB class this year has been poor. Throw in the Young failure and we have a bitter reminder that finding a franchise QB in the Draft is very difficult. There are many teams in "QB hell" and the Giants would enter that group. Cautionary tale to those who believe that the Draft is the answer.

We already are in QB hell

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Trench on Today at 11:33:08 AMYes. But these are all things within his cognitive control

Not sure how "cognitive" fits the definition of DJ's problems, but here's my list of things that I feel make up a good NFL QB

Quarterback Rating [1-10]

Daniel Jones
Strong arm [8]
Accurate [9]
Mobile [9]
Height/size [10]
Reading defenses [9]
Puts in necessary work (he's a workaholic) [10]
Gets along with teammates (teammates love him) [10]
Confidence [zero]

The man has all the physical and mental elements that make up a great QB, but has completely lost his self-confidence (IMO) and it shows. It's as if he's so afraid to make a mistake, that it takes over all the best parts of his game. Watch Brady, Mahomes, etc., and what do you see? Superb confidence and unafraid to make a mistake. They don't take mistakes personally and move on. Jones on the other hand, quietly gets down on himself for making a mistake (and the media and fans reinforce it). He might thrive on a different team that doesn't have a media-microscope on him  :-??

That's my take and only an opinion

The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

Doc16LT56

Yep, we've been in QB hell for years. This thread is a testament to that (one of many).

jgrangers2

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on Today at 01:32:27 PMNot sure how "cognitive" fits the definition of DJ's problems, but here's my list of things that I feel make up a good NFL QB

Daniel Jones
Strong arm [8]
Accurate [9]
Mobile [9]
Height/size [10]
Reading defenses [9]
Confidence [zero]

The man has all the physical and mental elements that make up a great QB, but has completely lost his self-confidence (IMO) and it shows. It's as if he's so afraid to make a mistake, that it takes over all the best parts of his game. Watch Brady, Mahomes, etc., and what do you see? Superb confidence and unafraid to make a mistake. They don't take mistakes personally and move on. Jones on the other hand, quietly gets down on himself for making a mistake (and the media and fans reinforce it). He might thrive on a different team that doesn't have a media-microscope on him  :-??

I'm sorry, but rating him a 9 out of 10 for reading defenses is truly something else. I can agree he has all the physical tools, but he's pretty well established to be a one read QB who struggles if you take that away.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MrGap92 on September 18, 2024, 01:54:37 PMGet a bridge QB for a few years.

Get your guy in 2025 or 2026

It cannot get any worse. Better to save the cap.

honestly unless he shows dramatic improvement over the course of the year, this is the way. we really wouldnt be missing anything and if anything, may have improved QB play.

If he doesnt progress at all, and has 2 or 3 more ugly games..put the kid in. what do you have to lose at that point. you have to at least see what you have in him.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 18, 2024, 02:00:03 PMNo.

List of just a few FA qbs in 2025 to bridge us until our next guy.

Sam Darnold
Jacoby Brissett
Andy Dalton
Justin Fields
Russell Wilson

And so on.

Darnold and Brissett likely get Minshew money or close to it. Minshew signed a 2 year 25 million dollar deal with the Raiders. 12 million a year for competent qb play is a lot better than 30 million for bad qb play.

I liked Darnold, before we got Lock, but lots here didnt like the idea.

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=69300.msg944167#msg944167
The KING is in the building

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on Today at 01:32:27 PMNot sure how "cognitive" fits the definition of DJ's problems, but here's my list of things that I feel make up a good NFL QB

Daniel Jones
Strong arm [8]
Accurate [9]
Mobile [9]
Height/size [10]
Reading defenses [9]
Confidence [zero]

i like the rating system you've chosen. im going to hop on the bandwagon.

strong arm - 8
accurate- 6 (he has regressed here and is making a lot of bad throws lately)
mobile- 8
height/size - prototype
reading defenses - 3 (he is terrible at this)
puts in work - definitely a 10 here. hes a hard worker no doubt
gets along with teammates- 10 it seems like he is liked and respected
confidence- 2