News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen's comment about a $40 million dollar QB handing off

Started by MightyGiants, Today at 11:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on Today at 11:38:46 AMRespectfully, that should be the LAST thing on his mind.
Giants fans have always been about one thing: WINNING.
I'm tired of being a last place team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What about the owners,?

Can we say for certanty that that has always been the case.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: LennG on Today at 12:33:41 PMWhat about the owners,?

Are you questioning whether Mara is about winning? Or is it about his lack of competence making the right decisions?

I lean toward the latter.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MrGap92

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on Today at 11:38:46 AMRespectfully, that should be the LAST thing on his mind.
Giants fans have always been about one thing: WINNING.
I'm tired of being a last place team!

He is an owner, not a fan, this is his business, not a team he roots for, as well as his livelihood.

Not the same

He does not meddle the way so many here think he does, if we didn't have a garbage QB, we would not be having this discussion.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: MrGap92 on Today at 12:45:34 PMHe is an owner, not a fan, this is his business, not a team he roots for, as well as his livelihood.

Not the same

He does not meddle the way so many here think he does, if we didn't have a garbage QB, we would not be having this discussion.
So you don't think he had ANY influence in signing that "garbage QB" to that massive extension?

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MrGap92

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on Today at 12:47:45 PMSo you don't think he had ANY influence in signing that "garbage QB" to that massive extension?

I think the options available, on paper, were not great or better than what they had, so they didn't have much choice, which is why they constructed the contract how they did.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: MrGap92 on Today at 12:51:24 PMI think the options available, on paper, were not great or better than what they had, so they didn't have much choice, which is why they constructed the contract how they did.
So you're saying they had no choice but to extend him even though they weren't 100% sold on him based on the market that year?

That's kind of short-sighted don't you think?

Building a great roster is a process, and that signing IMO, retarded their progress.

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on Today at 12:33:41 PMWhat about the owners,?

Giants owner John Mara seemingly knocks over trash cans in frustration
By Ryan Dunleavy
Published Sep. 26, 2021

https://nypost.com/2021/09/26/giants-owner-john-mara-seemingly-knocks-over-trash-can/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 12:56:48 PMGiants owner John Mara seemingly knocks over trash cans in frustration
By Ryan Dunleavy
Published Sep. 26, 2021

https://nypost.com/2021/09/26/giants-owner-john-mara-seemingly-knocks-over-trash-can/
Like I said, he tends to react from his emotions.
It's okay to care, it's better to make solid decisions.
Hire the right people and let them do their job.

Those who get on Daboll for making poor decisions, should also get on Mara for the same.

TDToomer

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

PSUBeirut

Quote from: coggs on Today at 11:39:08 AMHaving Barkley doesnt add a nickel of revenue to the Giants.  Tickets are still sold.  Jersey sales are shared league wide.  Having him go to another team probably added money to the giants share of that revenue.  Giants fans already have Barkley jerseys.  A lot more Eagles fans went out and bought his jersey than Giants fans would.

Agreed.  I think the reason Mara didn't want to lose Barkley was simply personal- he like him as a person, a team captain, and a face of the franchise.  I don't think it had anything to do with putting butts in the seats.  Winning teams do that, not running backs.

Bob In PA

Quote from: coggs on Today at 11:36:39 AMThat military-like way of thinking is becoming less and less the norm in the workplace.

coggs: Agree with it as written, but you didn't say whether you like or dislike the "less and less" part. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 11:09:23 AMAndrew,

Schoen said this in the middle of a strategy meeting.  HBO recorded hundreds of hours of tape, and there was no way Joe Schoen knew that particular comment would make the show.  If it was a shot at his boss, it was a poorly timed and executed shot, in my opinion.
It was my understanding the Giants had final veto power over any content aired in Hard Knocks. Am I wrong? Regardless, Schoen said a lot of things on that show that shouldn't have been aired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 11:56:12 AMI have been researching.  If Barkley increases attendance, the team's revenue will increase via concessions.  I am not 100% sure, but I believe teams also make more money for team merch sold in their stadium stores (which, again, is fan-driven).  Ticket sales are 60/40 for the home team.  NFL teams keep all the suites and sponsor money (Which a marketable name like Barkley will help).

The NFL has marketing deals with merchandising companies, and that money is shared.
How many people do you think are going to games and buying Barkley jerseys?  If they are buying a jersey at the game, they are buying whichever current player they want now.

Was their a spike in suite sales while Barkley was here?  Those suites are sold as long term leases and they are corporate bought.  The corporate sponsorship money was there long before Barkley was on the team and will continue to be there long after all of us and Barkley are gone.

coggs

Quote from: Bob In PA on Today at 02:53:51 PMcoggs: Agree with it as written, but you didn't say whether you like or dislike the "less and less" part. Bob
Didnt think my opinion about it mattered.