News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ranaan on how Hyatt became the forgotten man

Started by MightyGiants, September 20, 2024, 11:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGap92

Quote from: TDToomer on September 20, 2024, 01:46:01 PMWhat does the report say? Not all of us can access Twitter links.

There is a screenshot of the text in the original post

TDToomer

Quote from: MrGap92 on September 20, 2024, 01:57:09 PMThere is a screenshot of the text in the original post

I can't view the screen shot. Some of us use a company laptop with social media blockers.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 20, 2024, 01:01:05 PMIMO, Daboll doesn't have a clue how to use a guy with Hyatt's talents.  He's very fast and he has excellent hands.  He's NOT shifty or elusive.  That's Nabers and Wandale but it's not Hyatt.  But last year most of the plays targeting Hyatt were the kinds of plays that call for elusiveness.

As to Hyatt's frustration, in my other sport, futbol, a key attribute of a coach or manager is called man management.  Something else Daboll hasn't shown much ability at.  For me, a prime example of this lack was Nabers' so called blow-up, last game.  He made a bad play and was supremely pissed at himself.  A good man manager knows if the player needs a comforting word, a 'boot up the bum', or just to be left alone.  But it seemed apparent that Nabers didn't need Daboll in his face.

Daboll strikes me as a one-size-fits-all guy.  He uses Hyatt as if he had Wandale's, or even Toney's skills.  He doesn't seem attuned to Naber's psychology.  Another reason 2022, and particularly the COTY, was so damaging is that, IMO, it instilled a layer or arrogance in Daboll.  I don't see him as being a long-term Giants' HC.

I love your post.  It is truly a great perspective on possibility the failure of Daboll to read players correctly and how to use them appropriately.  I agree with your conclusions.

Gmo11

I'd buy that more if the same thing didn't happen last year too when Nabers wasn't even around and Hyatt was the most physically gifted WR in that group.  Daboll doesn't like this guy for one reason or another.  I can defend some of Daboll's decisions but this does appear to be personal with Hyatt.  I would guess that's why this year he said screw it just trade me if you have no use for me.  There's no reason they shouldn't be able to figure out how to use this kid.  To me he's a better version of Slayton with room to develop into more than that.   But only if he gets on the field!

T200

Apparently Hyatt didn't say anything about wanting to be traded. I'm sure more will come out.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on September 20, 2024, 01:01:05 PMIMO, Daboll doesn't have a clue how to use a guy with Hyatt's talents. 

AZRich: I don't agree... there are other reasons why it might appear Daboll doesn't know what he's doing.

One is "public" (or guess-able). He needs what the other guys do better than Hyatt on the field right now.

Other reasons are more "private" (buy possible).  Hyatt is not doing the job as a blocker, or doesn't know the system well enough, or makes too many mistakes on game-day (and is therefore unpredictable).  There are many other possibilities, including that his attitude has cost him a theoretical demotion, compared to what the other WR's are doing.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Daboll and Jalin deny it. I hate it when reporters start $hit.

"Never told me that," Daboll told reporters. "Jalin is probably one of the closer guys I am with on this team. You should ask Jalin."

https://sports.yahoo.com/giants-brian-daboll-denies-jalin-170341439.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

There seem to be many that have the view that it's coaching's fault that Hyatt isn't more productive. Is it not possible that maybe he's just not a very good NFL receiver? Not every player who was productive in college and runs a blazing 40 ends up being good in the pros.

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 20, 2024, 03:03:35 PMDaboll and Jalin deny it. I hate it when reporters start $hit.

"Never told me that," Daboll told reporters. "Jalin is probably one of the closer guys I am with on this team. You should ask Jalin."

https://sports.yahoo.com/giants-brian-daboll-denies-jalin-170341439.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall
Might be time to add Ranaan to the troll list.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

todge

Let's remember that Ranaan was banned from covering the Jets by the organization. He also has an ongoing feud with Giants insider Paul Dottino.

I believe Daboll's version of the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Blue Giant

I think it's being overthought...not exactly rocket science. Pretty simple really...we drafted Nabers. He is the main show and will be (and has been) used as such. And Robinson is extremely valuable in the slot and fills that spot perfectly, so he's getting chances. So it comes down to Slayton and Hyatt for WR3. As I've pointed out, Slayton is taller, has longer arms, bigger hands, and had a faster 40 time than Hyatt (albeit, just a couple tenths of a second) at the combine...plus, Slayton is experienced, and he has gotten rid of the dropsies (statistically proven). So basically, it's a coin toss between Slayton and Hyatt, and with Slayton's experience, he's obviously going to get more chances than Hyatt. And Slayton isn't getting used all that much as it is

Hyatt needs to relax, put in the work, stay in tip-top shape, be a good teammate, and he'll get his chance as WRs are always getting hurt. When his time comes, he must make it count. What he shouldn't do, is complain or ask for a trade
The fact that Keith Richards has outlived Richard Simmons, sure makes me question this whole, "healthy eating and exercise" thing

jgrangers2

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 20, 2024, 03:15:10 PMThere seem to be many that have the view that it's coaching's fault that Hyatt isn't more productive. Is it not possible that maybe he's just not a very good NFL receiver? Not every player who was productive in college and runs a blazing 40 ends up being good in the pros.

This is where I'm at with him. It's possible the knock on him coming out of Tennessee (that he's basically just a speed merchant) were true. He may very well just be another John Ross who you send out on deep routes and hope he can beat his coverage once or twice a game, but not someone who will be a good all-around wide receiver. At the end of the day, there's a reason a guy with his speed and production lasted to the third round.

My only concern is that the Giants didn't just draft him, but seemed elated to do so after trading up for him. To me, that's why I struggle to understand why they can't seem to find a significant use for him. If, as others have said, Daboll prizes elusiveness rather than top end speed then boy did they absolutely botch this pick.

Gmo11

Quote from: jgrangers2 on September 20, 2024, 04:10:07 PMThis is where I'm at with him. It's possible the knock on him coming out of Tennessee (that he's basically just a speed merchant) were true. He may very well just be another John Ross who you send out on deep routes and hope he can beat his coverage once or twice a game, but not someone who will be a good all-around wide receiver. At the end of the day, there's a reason a guy with his speed and production lasted to the third round.

My only concern is that the Giants didn't just draft him, but seemed elated to do so after trading up for him. To me, that's why I struggle to understand why they can't seem to find a significant use for him. If, as others have said, Daboll prizes elusiveness rather than top end speed then boy did they absolutely botch this pick.

My problem with the he's not any good idea is that every time he's actually been used he HAS been good.  It hasn't been often but last year he was the best WR on the field for the Giants when he was actually on the field.  At least to my untrained eyes. 

We were told he didn't get the route tree which...ok sure...but the hands were great, the speed obviously elite, and when he was out there he made plays.  It was a lost season from about Halloween last year (this year earlier) so might as well have played him as much as possible to get him reps and work on those route tree issues in game situations. 

I guess my questions are really: Is there anything to be learned or gained from playing Slayton as the #2 guy the rest of this season?  And is there anything to be gained or learned by letting Hyatt do it?  Because for me I think we know who Slayton is and is going to be, but Hyatt has a chance to improve.  And when the Giants get a new QB next year it'd be nice if he had a pair of young stud WRs on either side of the field to go with Wandale in the slot. 

4 Aces

He's a victim of the rapport DJ has with Slayton, which no doubt adds to his frustration.

Slayton's a coach killer.