News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Daniel Jones 24/34 236 yards 2 TD 0 Int 109.4 RTG 72.7 QBR -

Started by sxdxca38, September 22, 2024, 07:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-Town G-Fan and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

MightyGiants

When you consider that Jones started the season with a stinker of a game (likely due to rust), here is where he stands after 3 games

yards-17th
TDs- Tied for 7th
QBR- 17th
QB Rating- 22nd

That's pretty much on par for what he is being paid.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I look at trends and most recent production. If I'm looking at DJ's last two games, I would guess without going to stats that he's somewhere in the 10-15 range and maybe closer to 12.

If we isolate Pass vs Run, a QB like Lamar Jackson is top three in Run and maybe bottom ten in Passing. I would say DJ is top 5-8 Run and 12-15 Pass.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

One thing to remember.

QB play is WAY down this year. Even Mahomes looks mortal. Hurts has been awful. Dak had nice stats but hasn't be good. Herbert is hurt. Young benched. Love hurt. Richardson hasn't improved. Tua hurt.

Sam Darnold and Josh Allen have been the two best QBs in the league this year. That's right - Sam Darnold.

Ed Vette

DJ's passer rating in the last two games average has been around 105. That would place him in the top ten of starters. His completion % has gotten better every week so he's around his career of 66. His 4 TD's is in top 7 tied. I think we should all be happy with his progress. We all know his limitations, blah, blah, blah... Ok, points were left on the field, so maybe he's out of practice on his long ball. Maybe his long ball is the result of the neck injuries. I think it's timing issues and trajectory. Give the man some credit for not falling apart after that disastrous first game. If Gano didn't get hurt the Giants would be 2-1 and Minnesota may prove to be one of the top 5 teams in the NFC.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 08:36:22 AMDJ's passer rating in the last two games average has been around 105. That would place him in the top ten of starters. His completion % has gotten better every week so he's around his career of 66. His 4 TD's is in top 7 tied. I think we should all be happy with his progress. We all know his limitations, blah, blah, blah... Ok, points were left on the field, so maybe he's out of practice on his long ball. Maybe his long ball is the result of the neck injuries. I think it's timing issues and trajectory. Give the man some credit for not falling apart after that disastrous first game. If Gano didn't get hurt the Giants would be 2-1 and Minnesota may prove to be one of the top 5 teams in the NFC.
I agree, Ed.

I think, for those that are way past ready to move on from Jones, the more games we win, the further it will push us from the top of the draft. Folks are willing to sacrifice this season to get the top spot.

Can't say I blame them.

I'll celebrate the wins however they come. But those meaningless wins in the second half of the season that kept us from drafting high aren't lost on me either (pardon the pun).
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Doc16LT56

Quote from: T200 on Today at 08:59:54 AMI agree, Ed.

I think, for those that are way past ready to move on from Jones, the more games we win, the further it will push us from the top of the draft. Folks are willing to sacrifice this season to get the top spot.

Can't say I blame them.

I'll celebrate the wins however they come. But those meaningless wins in the second half of the season that kept us from drafting high aren't lost on me either (pardon the pun).
Exactly. We are on a treadmill with Daniel Jones at QB. Every year people think we are making progress or building something. After 6 years they still can't see that the treadmill doesn't move you forward regardless of how much effort you expend. It's the same exact threads and conversations year after year.

T200

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on Today at 09:08:03 AMExactly. We are on a treadmill with Daniel Jones at QB. Every year people think we are making progress or building something. After 6 years they still can't see that the treadmill doesn't move you forward regardless of how much effort you expend. It's the same exact threads and conversations year after year.
For the record, I don't support tanking. I do still believe in Schoen and Daboll and think they can turn this franchise around. I also believe that, while I still support him, Jones is not going to lead us to a SB championship.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: T200 on Today at 09:15:28 AMFor the record, I don't support tanking. I do still believe in Schoen and Daboll and think they can turn this franchise around. I also believe that, while I still support him, Jones is not going to lead us to a SB championship.
Who said anything about tanking? The point I made is we don't need to pretend Daniel Jones is suddenly going to become something different. This is who he is and who he's always been.

We don't need to play make believe to be fans. We can acknowledge reality. We are stuck with Daniel Jones for this season. Next year we get to reset without him and whatever that looks like will be better that the current iteration of a treadmill with no actual progress for years.

T200

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on Today at 09:26:05 AMWho said anything about tanking? The point I made is we don't need to pretend Daniel Jones is suddenly going to become something different. This is who he is and who he's always been.

We don't need to play make believe to be fans. We can acknowledge reality. We are stuck with Daniel Jones for this season. Next year we get to reset without him and whatever that looks like will be better that the current iteration of a treadmill with no actual progress for years.
I mentioned tanking with regards to my initial response to Ed's post. Some fans don't want to win games to put us in a better position to draft DJ's replacement versus being on the outside looking in like we were this past draft.

I think only DJ's most ardent supporters are optimistic that he can elevate his game to a top-5 performer. I don't expect any major leaps in his productivity but I do expect some improvement, especially seeing how much better the line is and Nabers is just balling out.

If the line stays healthy, I expect to see first half Jones versus second half.

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on Today at 08:59:54 AMI agree, Ed.

Can't say I blame them.

Oh, I get it. As for those meaningless wins, they did serve a purpose in demonstrating how enthusiasm and energy can raise the level of play, even if the talent isn't there. Did you notice how engaged DJ has been on the sidelines? It's contagious and yesterday the dDfense lifted the offense.

The Draft is a crapshoot but you have a better chance when picking high, unless you pick poorly. I'm not a proponent of tanking the season, ever. The minute an organization shows that winning is not important, it sends a message to the players and it's a bad message. When the Cutlet magic was over, Daboll put in the QB who gave him the best chance of winning otherwise, he's not doing what he gets paid to do. That's to win games because fans pay good money to watch the team win, not tank games. It's called respect for the consumer. It's not worth tarnishing a legacy of integrity to wind up with an Evan Neal or a Ron Dayne. Rant over... ;) 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on Today at 09:34:27 AMI mentioned tanking with regards to my initial response to Ed's post. Some fans don't want to win games to put us in a better position to draft DJ's replacement versus being on the outside looking in like we were this past draft.

I think only DJ's most ardent supporters are optimistic that he can elevate his game to a top-5 performer. I don't expect any major leaps in his productivity but I do expect some improvement, especially seeing how much better the line is and Nabers is just balling out.

If the line stays healthy, I expect to see first half Jones versus second half.
And, we can celebrate a win and acknowledge when a player does well, without someone making a statement or accusation about our intentions. I'd be happy with 7 wins and thrilled with 11 wins and still expect Schoen to upgrade the QB position.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 09:35:21 AMOh, I get it. As for those meaningless wins, they did serve a purpose in demonstrating how enthusiasm and energy can raise the level of play, even if the talent isn't there. Did you notice how engaged DJ has been on the sidelines? It's contagious and yesterday the dDfense lifted the offense.

The Draft is a crapshoot but you have a better chance when picking high, unless you pick poorly. I'm not a proponent of tanking the season, ever. The minute an organization shows that winning is not important, it sends a message to the players and it's a bad message. When the Cutlet magic was over, Daboll put in the QB who gave him the best chance of winning otherwise, he's not doing what he gets paid to do. That's to win games because fans pay good money to watch the team win, not tank games. It's called respect for the consumer. It's not worth tarnishing a legacy of integrity to wind up with an Evan Neal or a Ron Dayne. Rant over... ;) 
The GM's job is to provide talent that the coach can win with. The better your team is, the lower the draft pick. That's how the system works. You're 100% correct that poor picks hurt the most but the other part of that is the development of those picks.

Jones will go how the offensive line goes. But we already knew that.  ;)

Philosophers

I am down on the current NFL game in which YPC and YPA and sub 200 yards are so low across the NFL.  Frankly, a very boring style of football to watch.  I miss the days of 13.0 YPC and 300 yard passing games.  Game needs to be more vertical, not a 5 yard throw with fingers crossed to a small guy.

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 08:08:43 AMI look at trends and most recent production. If I'm looking at DJ's last two games, I would guess without going to stats that he's somewhere in the 10-15 range and maybe closer to 12.

If we isolate Pass vs Run, a QB like Lamar Jackson is top three in Run and maybe bottom ten in Passing. I would say DJ is top 5-8 Run and 12-15 Pass. 

The interesting thing is now that the offense seems simplified from week 1, DJ has been actually quite good at making the right read the last two weeks. What's the interesting piece is his accuracy is a bit worse than what we have seen from him throughout most his career. My best guess is it's the rust of a big portion of the off season being dedicated to rehab vs. throwing the football and the after effects from not having quite the same stability on that ACL just yet.

You see so many NFL players come back within a year now from ACL injuries but not really regain their full stability, explosiveness etc. until year 2 of the recovery. (Saquon, a couple QBs in the past etc.)

The plant and throw for the deep ball especially is just not there and DJ is usually not THAT off with those kind of throws IMO.

I'm hoping that the fact that he is making the right decisions on most plays will lead to even more production once the accuracy comes back to where he usually is.

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 09:40:19 AMAnd, we can celebrate a win and acknowledge when a player does well, without someone making a statement or accusation about our intentions. I'd be happy with 7 wins and thrilled with 11 wins and still expect Schoen to upgrade the QB position.
It's simply accepting what he does and doesn't do well, and recognizing his limitations on what it means long-term for this team to be a regular playoff participant. We can root for him, celebrate him, AND look forward to his replacement.