News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Daniel Jones 24/34 236 yards 2 TD 0 Int 109.4 RTG 72.7 QBR -

Started by sxdxca38, September 22, 2024, 07:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on Today at 09:43:39 AMI am down on the current NFL game in which YPC and YPA and sub 200 yards are so low across the NFL.  Frankly, a very boring style of football to watch.  I miss the days of 13.0 YPC and 300 yard passing games.  Game needs to be more vertical, not a 5 yard throw with fingers crossed to a small guy.
It's important to keep in mind that the defense has a job to do as well. Additionally, well-rounded offenses are able to dictate the pace of the game. There are only a handful of those in the league and have to take what the defense gives them. It's a chess match that isn't always exciting to watch, especially if we're on the losing end.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MrGap92

When it comes down to it, if we win too many games, and your guy is in the draft, you have to pull the trigger and trade the farm away, and do what he refrained from this year with Drake Maye.

kingm56

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on Today at 09:44:56 AMThe interesting thing is now that the offense seems simplified from week 1, DJ has been actually quite good at making the right read the last two weeks. What's the interesting piece is his accuracy is a bit worse than what we have seen from him throughout most his career. My best guess is it's the rust of a big portion of the off season being dedicated to rehab vs. throwing the football and the after effects from not having quite the same stability on that ACL just yet.

You see so many NFL players come back within a year now from ACL injuries but not really regain their full stability, explosiveness etc. until year 2 of the recovery. (Saquon, a couple QBs in the past etc.)

The plant and throw for the deep ball especially is just not there and DJ is usually not THAT off with those kind of throws IMO.

I'm hoping that the fact that he is making the right decisions on most plays will lead to even more production once the accuracy comes back to where he usually is.

You should really get the All-22; the offense is the same offense from week 1.  What changed was the execution.  If you consider yesterday's game, it was the tale of two half's.  Even with the simplified offense, the Giants' second half production was on par with the Minn game.   The struggles weren't a byproduct of switching to a more complicated offense; it was the result of poor execution.   

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 09:40:19 AMAnd, we can celebrate a win and acknowledge when a player does well, without someone making a statement or accusation about our intentions. I'd be happy with 7 wins and thrilled with 11 wins and still expect Schoen to upgrade the QB position.

I think most of us predicted 6/7 wins, which I consider horrible for the franchise.  I'd rather win 10+, or loose 10+...Id prefer not to be middling and stuck in NFL purgatory forever.

Fletch

Quote from: kingm56 on Today at 09:58:54 AMI think most of us predicted 6/7 wins, which I consider horrible for the franchise.  I'd rather win 10+, or loose 10+...Id prefer not to be middling and stuck in NFL purgatory forever.

So true just waiting for them to hit rock bottom so they can finally do something

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on Today at 09:58:54 AMI think most of us predicted 6/7 wins, which I consider horrible for the franchise.  I'd rather win 10+, or loose 10+...Id prefer not to be middling and stuck in NFL purgatory forever.
I'm always happy with a win on Game day. I'll take seven happy days as opposed to none or 4.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 10:03:35 AMI'm always happy with a win on Game day. I'll take seven happy days as opposed to none or 4.

Fair enough; I'm more concerned with our long term prognosis. Plus, I'm happy win or loose. Well, except when the realization I have to be at work in 12-hrs sinks in.  ~X(

Ed Vette

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on Today at 09:44:56 AMThe interesting thing is now that the offense seems simplified from week 1, DJ has been actually quite good at making the right read the last two weeks. What's the interesting piece is his accuracy is a bit worse than what we have seen from him throughout most his career. My best guess is it's the rust of a big portion of the off season being dedicated to rehab vs. throwing the football and the after effects from not having quite the same stability on that ACL just yet.

You see so many NFL players come back within a year now from ACL injuries but not really regain their full stability, explosiveness etc. until year 2 of the recovery. (Saquon, a couple QBs in the past etc.)

The plant and throw for the deep ball especially is just not there and DJ is usually not THAT off with those kind of throws IMO.

I'm hoping that the fact that he is making the right decisions on most plays will lead to even more production once the accuracy comes back to where he usually is.

There was a lot of pre-snap motion and that can help the QB, but DJ struggles with reading the Blitzer and the Hot Read at times. He also, even with time, can not get to his third read without bailing the pocket. When you say simplify, I think I know what you're getting at. Reads are always one and two on one side of the field and a checkdown but in most systems, the third read is either a seam or on the other side of the field. What Daboll is doing with DJ is he mixes up his Shotgun and Under Center snaps much better than Kafka did, so there is more Play Action UC, and that has helped the O-Line and DJ as a product of freezing the LB's. He also layers his reads and although I have to review the film again, he did less Mesh but did a High/Low read progression. Having Nabors on Crossers, Daggers and Slants is a huge advantage. He's been 7-11 on those Routes. (Always open) Same plays, different results. The play I really liked was exposing the unblocked Edge and tossing the ball over him to a Screen. Many teams have deployed that play effectively this year. It's not only successful but it gets in the head of the Defender. I would toss out week one and watch how Daboll adds wrinkles each week. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

coggs

Quote from: MrGap92 on Today at 09:51:14 AMWhen it comes down to it, if we win too many games, and your guy is in the draft, you have to pull the trigger and trade the farm away, and do what he refrained from this year with Drake Maye.
If it comes down to them winning too many games, would rather cut jones, sign a journeyman for cheap, upgrade other positions and wait for the QB.

MrGap92

Quote from: coggs on Today at 10:54:22 AMIf it comes down to them winning too many games, would rather cut jones, sign a journeyman for cheap, upgrade other positions and wait for the QB.

That is my point, you are gonna have to give the farm up eventually, unless you suck enough and get a top 2 pick.

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 07:41:27 AMJess,

Are you suggesting Daniel Jones has only had one good game in his last 9 seasons?
Lol no, I'm suggesting this one game we just played doesn't change 9 years of pedestrian play. 2-3 good games a year doesn't equal a good qb.

Ed Vette

Btw, PFF just gave Daniel Jones a 45.5 passing Grade. Andre Thomas a 14.7 Pass Blocking Grade. So combining both halves, it's not all roses. Rich will lay out the rest.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 11:10:13 AMBtw, PFF just gave Daniel Jones a 45.5 passing Grade. Andre Thomas a 14.7 Pass Blocking Grade. So combining both halves, it's not all roses. Rich will lay out the rest.

Ed,

Excuse my ignorance, is this 45 out of 100? 

coggs

Quote from: MrGap92 on Today at 11:03:31 AMThat is my point, you are gonna have to give the farm up eventually, unless you suck enough and get a top 2 pick.
A QB with a top-2 pick does not guaranteed a Super Bowl.

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin