News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Daniel Jones 24/34 236 yards 2 TD 0 Int 109.4 RTG 72.7 QBR -

Started by sxdxca38, September 22, 2024, 07:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

MrGap92

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 11:10:13 AMBtw, PFF just gave Daniel Jones a 45.5 passing Grade. Andre Thomas a 14.7 Pass Blocking Grade. So combining both halves, it's not all roses. Rich will lay out the rest.

I like the QBR stat (not QB rating, the ESPN version) but like all of these metrics it has it's limitations.  Yesterday Jones QBR was a solid 72.3. However QBR will not account for 2 (or 3) passes that should have been intercepted.  I think PFF does account for that.  And I'm not the biggest fan of PFF either but they use human eyes which allows to account for those types of things. 

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 11:10:13 AMBtw, PFF just gave Daniel Jones a 45.5 passing Grade. Andre Thomas a 14.7 Pass Blocking Grade. So combining both halves, it's not all roses. Rich will lay out the rest.

Not particularly surprised. I stated elsewhere I thought this was a worse passing game than the Commanders effort, despite the superficial results. I saw this week as regressive, despite the win. Understandably difficult to not let it color the perspective, but if the Giants lose the story is why couldn't they put a point on the board for 30 minutes...

JT39

If Jones averages 2 TDs and 250 combined yards for the rest of the season that would put him over 4000 combined yards and over 30 TDs.

Will it happen? Probably not. But those are numbers that would be pretty impressive.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on Today at 11:20:16 AMI like the QBR stat (not QB rating, the ESPN version) but like all of these metrics it has it's limitations.  Yesterday Jones QBR was a solid 72.3. However QBR will not account for 2 (or 3) passes that should have been intercepted.  I think PFF does account for that.  And I'm not the biggest fan of PFF either but they use human eyes which allows to account for those types of things.

QBR also doesn't particularly care if you miss open receivers or make easy throws look hard. All that matters is whether the pass is completed or not (and the expected points added from the result). PFF could grade such plays like that as neutral or even negative.

coggs

Quote from: MrGap92 on Today at 11:20:10 AMI never said it did.

Point is, giving up the farm is not the answer.  Last top-2 pick to win a SB was Stafford.  Took 12 years and he had to go to another team.  Dont want to trade up to get another RG3 or Marcus Mariota.

kingm56

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on Today at 11:20:46 AMNot particularly surprised. I stated elsewhere I thought this was a worse passing game than the Commanders effort, despite the superficial results. I saw this week as regressive, despite the win. Understandably difficult to not let it color the perspective, but if the Giants lose the story is why couldn't they put a point on the board for 30 minutes...

Like you, I thought it was a below average passing game. However, these performances tend to even out over the season...at a some point this season, DJ will play better than his numbers indicate.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: kingm56 on Today at 11:26:22 AMLike you, I thought it was a below average passing game. However, these performances tend to even out over the season...at a some point this season, DJ will play better than his numbers indicate.

Of course. I'm just saying if the point of a thread like this is he's playing better, I can't get on board with it. I don't know how you could watch that whole game and feel great about his performance. Glad they won, but I'm well past the point of just rubber-stamping a win as meaning there was nothing wrong.

katkavage

He had a decent game. Made some nice throws in the first half. A little lucky he didn't get picked at least twice. Missed downfield. Managed the game properly. B minus performance.

Ed Vette

Keep in mind the combined Pass Blocking grade was 36.2. That's a killer for a QB.
AT-14.7
GVR-73.3
JMS-43.2
JR-61.3
JE-51.8
True Pass Set
AT-5.5
JMS-25.0

DJ
Clean-64.6
Under pressure-33.8
Blitz-29.6
Not Blitz-61.7

20+ Yard throws- 39.7

Just The Facts Jack...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MrGap92

Quote from: coggs on Today at 11:25:45 AMPoint is, giving up the farm is not the answer.  Last top-2 pick to win a SB was Stafford.  Took 12 years and he had to go to another team.  Dont want to trade up to get another RG3 or Marcus Mariota.

Because all situations are apples to apples and guaranteed to have the same results irregardless of anything else?

We can't make decisions based off of what the Lions, Redskins or Titans have done in the past.

CJ Stroud went #2, Burrow was a #1 pick, point is irregardless of draft slot, whoever they pick they have to get it right, but if the guy they want is out of reach, wherever he falls, they have to do what is needed to get them.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 11:43:16 AMKeep in mind the combined Pass Blocking grade was 36.2. That's a killer for a QB.
AT-14.7
GVR-73.3
JMS-43.2
JR-61.3
JE-51.8
True Pass Set
AT-5.5
JMS-25.0

DJ
Clean-64.6
Under pressure-33.8
Blitz-29.6
Not Blitz-61.7

20+ Yard throws- 39.7

Just The Facts Jack...

It was undoubtedly AT's worst game in a long while. Myles Garrett is a problem.

Ed Vette

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on Today at 11:54:28 AMIt was undoubtedly AT's worst game in a long while. Myles Garrett is a problem.
Maybe he was sick too. That's the worst grade I recall him ever having.
MG- 9 Pressures 93.5 Elite!
28 total Pressures on DJ but the Browns were Credited with just 2 sacks. Had to throw DJ off his game.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 12:02:38 PMMaybe he was sick too. That's the worst grade I recall him ever having.
MG- 9 Pressures 93.5 Elite!
28 total Pressures on DJ but the Browns were Credited with just 2 sacks. Had to throw DJ off his game.

Garret was injured too; he's an absolute beast.  It's possible Thomas just had an off day; it happens to everyone. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on Today at 12:04:23 PMGarret was injured too; he's an absolute beast.  It's possible Thomas just had an off day; it happens to everyone. 
True.
Total Hurries
19 Hurries.
Wow.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin