News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bring on Dallas

Started by bamagiantfan, September 23, 2024, 12:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagiantfan and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Painter

Quote from: files58 on September 24, 2024, 11:21:26 AM"So, for me, the TNF game, win or lose, is about regaining respect from a team which sees Our Heroes as not much more than a piece of lint. At least at some point, I'll be looking for at least one smash in the mouth to correct that impression."

See my previous post.

Should I take that as a "Like"?

Cheers!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Painter on September 24, 2024, 12:17:07 PMShould I take that as a "Like"?

Cheers!

Larry: Humorous, to say the least! Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kartanoman

Quote from: Painter on September 24, 2024, 11:14:55 AMFans are good for two things: blaming and taking credit. In that sense, rooting can seem almost secondary especially when the Giants have had a long history of losing streaks whether or not following a period of relative success. Of course, that's likely true of most NFL teams.

What is and should be especially irksome to us all is not just the inability to beat Dallas and Philly for far too long but the all too fresh memory of the disgraceful 0-40 and 17-49 trouncings by the Cows last year. The meaningless end-of-season win over a cratering Eagles was little compensation.

So, for me, the TNF game, win or lose, is about regaining respect from a team which sees Our Heroes as not much more than a piece of lint. At least at some point, I'll be looking for at least one smash in the mouth to correct that impression.

Cheers!

Thank you, good sir. Both you and files58 summed it perfectly.

I've tried to be diplomatic about it with Strategic Imperatives; however, put those two scores up from last season in the Giants' locker room and that should be all that needs to be mentioned. The rest should take care of itself.

Pax!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

bamagiantfan

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on September 24, 2024, 10:09:13 AM@bamagiantfan you have an issue with fans who consider past performance? And I have an issue with delusional fans who try to police the fan base. If you're going to dish it out I hope you can take it. So this is where we are.

I'm not trying to police the fan base nor am I interested in a tit for tat on this issue. I remain optimistic that the Giants have the best chance to beat the Cowboys tomorrow that they have had in a long time. In some ways the Giants are better right now. We'll see.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

kartanoman

I certainly cannot date myself back to the Painters, Jims, Dumpster Dans and our other long-time esteemed Giants fans who have pulled for the Big Blue long before I was born. But I can attest to the Ticket Burning ceremonies, the plane flying overhead in the middle of the game and other moments of utter futility during the Wilderness Years, when using "Giants" and "Lombardi Trophy" in the same sentence would get you laughed out of the room.

Before this team achieved anything resembling good in the "modern era" of the NFL, Giants' fans demonstrated their passion in ways so neurotic that they had to create a book "Those Crazy Giants Fans" to capture the extent Giants fans lived and died alongside their beloved Big Blue. Although most of it was an exercise in futility, they never gave up hope that one day their loyalty would be redeemed. So, when it finally came to pass in 1986, and so many of our dreams came true, and some could finally die in peace, it was worth all that frustration to finally live to see that day come true. For those of us who lived The Wilderness Years, the long journey to Pasadena was something we'll never forget and treasure for the rest of our lives.

But much water has moved under that bridge since that magical championship season. Four more trips to the big show, and three more Lombardi Trophies to show for it, must have created some form of contentment that eventually brought the organization full circle back to another round of The Wilderness Years. When you're there, and you're considered a bunch of perpetual losers who haven't won anything since the old days of the NFL, you knew you were bad but just how bad was a concept you really couldn't grasp because you didn't know any better. But when you've put four Lombardi trophies in the case, and immediately your ship sinks to the bottom of the ocean, a proud, Flagship franchise reduced to broken pieces 20,000 leagues under the sea, there is just reason for anger, for accountability from the owner and the board, for running a winning organization into an iceberg head-on with no valid reason or explanation whatsoever.

The vitriol flies further and with more poisonous effect than the 1970s with good reason. When you taste winning football, championships and what it means to be the NFL Champion, and all of a sudden that bubble is popped and to the cesspool you go, it is little wonder why fans are bitter at a time when the NFL caters its product away from the common fan and into big business, marketing and controversial entities such as sports betting (i.e. gambling), it is little wonder why the average fan feels disenfranchised as well as stepped on, not to mention having to cheer for a losing team for as many years as the Giants have in recent times.

If tomorrow's game will give us a small opportunity to scream, cheer and, most importantly, hope our boys in Big Blue on to a win over the hated Cowboys, then I respectfully ask anyone in the role of "Fan Police" to lighten up, join us, and let's create an aura that will give our boys a chance to do something special tomorrow night.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with blame or credit. We follow our team. We express our allegiance in different ways. That is outstanding and we should support each other in allowing us to do so in a manner that's comfortable for each individual.

As for me, if the Giants bring it, you'll hear a lot of screaming on the west side of the Phoenix Valley! You witnessed, first hand, what I did last year at State Farm Stadium behind the Giants' bench. Yes, I shamelessly take credit for that and I did the same earlier this year when the Rangers came to town to play the "then" Phoenix Coyotes (NOTE: now Utah Hockey Club). So, if I can run the home team out of town, you definitely want me as a participating fan!

Too bad our boys aren't coming back out here this season ... maybe for the playoffs?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Uncle Mickey

Dallas is beatable. Zimmer could end up being a sizeable drop from Quinn.

Quinn owned us at the LOS and their OL also would beat up on our DL all game.

However, Their OL is not as good as before either.

This game is winnable.

Any given Sunday.....err Thursday  :happy:

jimc

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 23, 2024, 02:45:20 PMRich: We're "way overdue" for a good performance (and a win) on a regular-season "special" game (Monday/Thursday game), not to mention being overdue for a victory over the Cowboys. If it happens, it is sure to be a close (or even overtime) nail-biter. If the Ravens couldn't blow them out, we sure can't. Bob

I think we kick them while they're down and Malik has his national spotlight game.

I think they may be vulnerable, but not to us. At this point they are still the better team. I'm hoping for a competitive game and coming away with the feeling that we are making strides and getting better.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

kartanoman

Quote from: jimc on Today at 06:33:14 AMI think they may be vulnerable, but not to us. At this point they are still the better team. I'm hoping for a competitive game and coming away with the feeling that we are making strides and getting better.

Yes, SI#2 "Close the gap"

No miracles, but demonstrate they closed the gap and are making progress in the right direction.

It used to be tough for Parcells as well against Tom Landry in the 80s. He managed to get nail-biting close in many games but lost more than he won. But they almost often went down to the wire. I'd love to see that level of competition again between these two teams.

Peace!

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: jimc on Today at 06:33:14 AMI think they may be vulnerable, but not to us. At this point they are still the better team. I'm hoping for a competitive game and coming away with the feeling that we are making strides and getting better.

ZImmer could very well be a bug step down from Quinn. That is big. Is McCarthy better as a playcaller than Kellen Moore was? Maybe. But they have no RBs.

We passed on Cleveland quite a bit even though their bigger weakness was the run game. I think we will definitely run but I think we will also pass quite a bit as well (or at least that will be the initial game plan)

bamagiantfan

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on Today at 09:06:47 AMWe passed on Cleveland quite a bit even though their bigger weakness was the run game. I think we will definitely run but I think we will also pass quite a bit as well (or at least that will be the initial game plan).

I am hoping they will run, but Dallas' secondary is banged up too. They may pass a bit but i'm hoping they see just how bad Dallas is right now against the run.

Dallas is ranked dead last in the league for rush defense, rushing TDs, yards per carry, first downs allowed rushing, and 1st down allowed rushing percentage. They haven't forced a fumble yet on a rushing play.

Add to that, only the Bears and Raiders have rushed for fewer yards than the Cowboys.

My guess is, Giants will run. Dallas will throw. Anything else will just be to take advantage of Dallas LBs and Safeties creeping up to support the run or Giants dropping quickly into coverage to stop the pass.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

TDToomer

Quote from: bamagiantfan on Today at 10:53:34 AMI am hoping they will run, but Dallas' secondary is banged up too. They may pass a bit but i'm hoping they see just how bad Dallas is right now against the run.

Dallas is ranked dead last in the league for rush defense, rushing TDs, yards per carry, first downs allowed rushing, and 1st down allowed rushing percentage. They haven't forced a fumble yet on a rushing play.

Add to that, only the Bears and Raiders have rushed for fewer yards than the Cowboys.

My guess is, Giants will run. Dallas will throw. Anything else will just be to take advantage of Dallas LBs and Safeties creeping up to support the run or Giants dropping quickly into coverage to stop the pass.

Establish the run early. Then target the backup corners forced to start. Victory.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: bamagiantfan on Today at 10:53:34 AMI am hoping they will run, but Dallas' secondary is banged up too. They may pass a bit but i'm hoping they see just how bad Dallas is right now against the run.

I think they will crowd the box and shift safety help on Nabers side. They are probably going to sell out on two things: stop the run and stop Nabers. Going to be an interesting chess match.